0 (0%)
on
1 (9.1%)
abortion
0 (0%)
?
10 (90.9%)

Total Members Voted: 11

Author Topic: QUESTION  (Read 11503 times)

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
Re: QUESTION
« Reply #75 on: September 13, 2008, 05:50:21 PM »
First you said it was a hypothetical discussion for discussion for entertainment and enlightenment. Then in the first paragraph of this latest post you say you're trying to convince people of your view. Then in the 2nd to last paragraph you said you weren't bent on convincing everybody. Make up your mind, please.

I did not attempt to convince you because it was clear from your voluminous posts that you could not be convinced. It wasn't worth the effort, and I hate debate.

Do you not understand that I've already said suffering is not the point? Why do you keep bringing it up? The ending of human life is not wrong because it causes a human to suffer; if so, it would be perfectly OK to end as many human lives as you want as long as you find a way to do it without causing suffering.

The ending of a human life is wrong because that life is human. There is something special about being human that is not shared by animals or plants or minerals. If you don't think being human is special, I'm not going to try to convince you.

Or if you're only making these arguments because other people might believe that way, and not you specifically, since you might believe a fetus is human—what are you doing in this thread? The topic of the thread is what is your stance on abortion. Not what do you think other people might think about abortion which might cause you to believe it shouldn't be illegal and-hide-your-own-opinion? If you're not willing to share your own opinion, please stop countering the opinions of others.

I understand the dilemma about not wanting to make laws that are based on opinion and don't take diverging opinions into consideration. However, in some few things a line must be drawn where the opinions of other people must be overridden by what you believe is right. Human life is one such area. At the moment, I can't think of any other area as important. As a general rule I am all for laws that the vast majority of people can agree on. I know that decisions that barely pass due to one side or another can be a source of divisiveness, and divisiveness is bad. However, the protection of human life overrules that desire for consensus. If a huge minority of people disagree with me—or even if a huge majority of people disagree with me—I cannot ignore my conviction. Human life trumps opinion, and I will support leaders who support the overturning of Roe v. Wade.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!