Author Topic: I have to say, I'm impressed.  (Read 3001 times)

Eerongal

• Level 23
  • Fell Points: 0
  • That jaunty jackanapes with moxie and pizzazz
    • View Profile
    • Rockin' with the Erock
I have to say, I'm impressed.
« on: September 03, 2008, 07:28:14 PM »
Greetings,

Obviously, this is my first post and I'm new around here, but not the point of this thread. I recentley starting reading Mr. Sanderson's mistborn series, because as a long time fan of the wheel of time series, I figured I should give myself a chance to get to know the author's style before the new book comes out. At first, I was hesitant of the idea, but I would have been in general anyway, no matter who was chosen. Obviously, I don't expect Sanderson's work to be the same as Jordan's, that would just be asinine, so I picked up the first of the mistborn series, and begun to read it. And I have to say, I'm impressed with what I've read so far. The setting is unique enough without being totally bizzare and out of the ordinary, and the story is compelling enough to keep you hooked. And while I'm certain the final WoT book will not be the same book that would have been penned by Mr. Jordan himself, I feel that Mr. Sanderson will do very well for the task at hand, and will do the series justice. I don't know if he reads these forums personally, but I just wanted to voice my opinion, as I like to give credit where credit is due, and just to say that you have certainly made a fan out of me.

Thanks for reading my rant of praise!
[shameless plug]
My site
[/shameless plug]

Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.
-R. Howard

Pie is clearly the most trustworthy. Pie for president. - Me.

GreenMonsta

• Level 22
    • View Profile
Re: I have to say, I'm impressed.
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2008, 08:03:25 PM »
To let you know He does read the forums from time to time, He goes by the tag EUOL and he doesnt do it all that often or if he does he doesnt reply too much due to the fact that im sure hes busy with the million books hes writing. Im cut from the same cloth as you but ive been here a little longer If you havt read Elantris yet you should look into it. Its a stand alone novel but a really good one.

Dont think that my saying he doesnt reply that often means he wont because he does when he has time.
"No signs of anything that could cause even a slight case of death"

"He's a paraplegic whats he gonna do, bite us?"

firstRainbowRose

• Level 18
  • Fell Points: 1
  • So pretty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2008, 09:08:13 PM »
Actually, I think he said somewhere a while back (like, when all the theory thread started going) that he wasn't going to frequent the forums until book three is out because he's been too tempted to tell people if they're right or wrong, and he doesn't want to spoil the book for anyone.
"The custom of royalty in referring to oneself is to naturally employ the royal 'we'.  We are very happy, we are very sad, we are bored and suffer from ennui.  For a royal prince there's no such word as 'me', It's always 'we'.  So rightfully I should be two or three, don't you agree?"

GreenMonsta

• Level 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2008, 09:33:23 PM »
Your right he did mention that but hey look at it this way its only another month or so until its out right.

Eerongal

• Level 23
    • View Profile
    • Rockin' with the Erock
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2008, 10:26:25 PM »
well, it's certainly good to hear that he's intimiate enough with his fan base that he has to temporarily cut himself off for fear of the pull of releasing spoilers! I look forward to the third book when I get to it, I just started the first book. I haven't read Elantris, simply because i prefer to read books from a series, so I just dove straight for Mistborn, but I'll certainly chalk it up as something to check out.
[shameless plug]
My site
[/shameless plug]

Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.
-R. Howard

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2008, 10:40:22 PM »
Also EUOL does have spies that read through the forums and let him know if there's something that needs his attention.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

Miyabi

• Level 45
  • Simple is the concept of love as eternity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2008, 05:26:52 AM »
I feel so backwards in the regard that I'm getting ready to start WoT BECAUSE I heard EUOL was writing the last one in the series and felt I needed to get to know the series before the book came out. xD

And yes, Brandon is VERY close to his fans.
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

Eerongal

• Level 23
    • View Profile
    • Rockin' with the Erock
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2008, 03:28:40 PM »
I feel so backwards in the regard that I'm getting ready to start WoT BECAUSE I heard EUOL was writing the last one in the series and felt I needed to get to know the series before the book came out. xD

And yes, Brandon is VERY close to his fans.

I hope you enjoy WoT! It's a very good series. It gets incredibly intricate later on. Also, just as sort of a note, I personally, and everyone I've known who has read the series, has said that the first book is very slow. I almost stopped reading it after the first book because of how slow it was (there was actually about 3 years between me reading the first and second books, after that I just started devouring them), but I really recommend trudging through it if you find it too slow, (if you don't, well then ignore that) as it picks up and starts getting really good come the second book.
[shameless plug]
My site
[/shameless plug]

-R. Howard

Phaz

• Level 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2008, 05:35:50 PM »
I'm in the same boat as Miyabi, in that I just started reading WoT after hearing about Brandon being chosen as the one to finish it (I'm about 150 pages into the first one).

It's kind of ironic too, because I'm reading a copy of The Eye of the World that I purchased the week that Robert Jordan passed away, at one of Brandon's signings.   Brandon was out here in Denver and stayed for a good hour and a half after the signing to chat with a small handful (less than 5) of his fans who stayed around.  He was answering all kinds of questions, and one thing he talked about was the Wheel of Time series and the impact it (and Jordan) had on him.  I'd say he spent 15-20 minutes discussing the series with us.  This was of course before he knew he would be finishing it.  The way Brandon spoke of the series more than convinced me that it would be something I would enjoy.  Thus, I went home with a copy of The Eye of the World.  I'm not very far into it, but so far it has been quite good.

LeisureSuitLarry

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2008, 08:00:18 PM »

I hope you enjoy WoT! It's a very good series. It gets incredibly intricate later on. Also, just as sort of a note, I personally, and everyone I've known who has read the series, has said that the first book is very slow. I almost stopped reading it after the first book because of how slow it was (there was actually about 3 years between me reading the first and second books, after that I just started devouring them), but I really recommend trudging through it if you find it too slow, (if you don't, well then ignore that) as it picks up and starts getting really good come the second book.

I actually started and stopped EotW three times before I finally got into it. The first four or five chapters just didn't move fast enough to keep me in it. Once I really started getting into it I tore through it and tGH. And after that, it was complete the book in one sitting or fall asleep with it on my chest.

Miyabi

• Level 45
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2008, 08:47:32 PM »

I actually started and stopped EotW three times before I finally got into it. The first four or five chapters just didn't move fast enough to keep me in it. Once I really started getting into it I tore through it and tGH. And after that, it was complete the book in one sitting or fall asleep with it on my chest.
I've started reading it four or five times but never got into it so I just ignored the series. :D
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

GreenMonsta

• Level 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2008, 09:08:48 PM »
Honestly I can understand if people find it slow sometimes but it is really one of the best series of books I've read. Its not just the characters and their plots but the interesting magic system and the world building that was needed to create such a large scope of plot lines. The sheer number of characters and intertwining stories is mind numbing. Sometimes I try to remember a certain characters name only to realize I have to go to WoT wiki to find out because there are so many. I know that can be a bad thing but in this story it works well. So if you enjoy fantasy like the others have said attempt to push through the slow parts if you find them because it really is worth it. My god now I'm all amped up about WoT and I need AMoL.

jjb

• Level 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2008, 09:44:42 PM »
Yeah, I have some friends who never finished the series because they thought it got really slow in the later books, but I think it's also because they never really got into the story. If you read the first books and don't love them, then reading through to the end of the series will probably be torture for you, but if you read the first books and love the story as well as appreciating the huge world and dozens of viewpoints, then the later books will probably be a bit slow, but you will still love them.

WoT is my favorite series ever so I didn't think the later books got too slow, but I did hate the parts where Robert Jordan was pretty much explaining who the characters were and what the whole series was about. He needed to do that for people who hadn't read previous books(why do people do that?) and because most people probably won't remember who someone is from the mention of their name, but the beginnings of the later books were always slow for me.

So I don't really know what the point of this post was, but if you like Brandon's books and you like long series, there's no way you won't love the WoT series.

VegasDev

• Level 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2008, 10:13:11 PM »
I had read eotw back in the early 90s and picked up a book here or there but really didn't get into the series. When I found out Brandon was going to finish it, I decided to give them another chance and read them through.

For me it was just okay; nothing that I would have become hooked on like I have with BS. The magic system is just too powerful for me and had too many holes for my liking. I prefer BS magic system that doesn't seem to stray from it's set of rules. I am looking forward to book 12 so that the series is finished but hope that BS isn't brought in to write more of it.

As a side note and totally unrelated, has anyone else tried Google Chrome? Seems pretty good so far and I like the built-in spell check.
Now you've got all the ones with beards on one side and all the
moustaches on the other.

Miyabi

• Level 45
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2008, 10:16:55 PM »
As a side note and totally unrelated, has anyone else tried Google Chrome? Seems pretty good so far and I like the built-in spell check.
I have a lot of friends who use it and say it runs Java like none other.  Sadly there is not a Linux build for it yet.  I may just have to run it through Wine and see how well it works.  Depending on how well it works I may just decide to run that instead of FF, but FF seems to work really well on Linux as-is so I may just stick with it until there is a Linux build.
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。