Author Topic: Meyer Stops writing next twilight book  (Read 23362 times)

Emmaleem

• Level 2
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Meyer Stops writing next twilight book
« Reply #60 on: February 17, 2009, 05:54:01 AM »
I think the point Shannon Hale makes elsewhere in her blog (I am too lazy to look it up) is a good one: more readers are a good thing.  So if more people start reading because of Twilight, then there are a greater number of people who might pick up Elantris one day and fall in love with it.  Twilight is a gateway book to other ones. 

It's not a finite pool of resources.  Fans of EOUL don't need to be jealous on his behalf; he's doing fine and dandy.  Now there are millions more people introduced to speculative fiction.  More readers is a good thing. 
segullah.org

little wilson

• Level 29
  • Hero of Ages: Preservation
    • View Profile
    • My Myspace
« Reply #61 on: February 17, 2009, 06:27:20 AM »
Ideally, that would be great, but...not all Twilighters will go on to read other things. Especially if they have the same problems as these people:

http://twilightmomsforums.freeforums.org/reading-other-books-t5455.html
"You either die a hero or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain."

Frog

• Level 13
  • "Have a popover, Froggie!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: February 17, 2009, 06:37:49 AM »
I agree with the general concept as I really don't see authors as competitors. I know from my own personal experience that if I read and like one book in a certain genre or style, I am more likely to read another one, but at the same time I really don't see it as jealously to say that Meyer's is an immature writer that could use some coaching in plot, style, character development, theme or anything else. It's just an opinion. An opinion that people are bound to disagree on because different styles/themes attract different people, but hey, that's their prerogative.
In the same token, I think it would be a stretch to say readers of Twilight would eventually be drawn to books like Elantris because their styles are vastly different. Some of them, maybe, but I am guessing the majority will stick with easy-read romance or nothing at all.
I've already conquered the world. This is exactly the way I want it.

Miyabi

• Level 45
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Simple is the concept of love as eternity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: February 17, 2009, 05:19:27 PM »
I don't understand how people can be so in love with her books?  I mean, the story was OK(ish), but she is a horrible writer.
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

Bastille

• Level 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: February 17, 2009, 05:27:32 PM »
I don't understand how people can be so in love with her books?  I mean, the story was OK(ish), but she is a horrible writer.

I agree. My friends asked me to read the books so I did but I read them and they asked "what do you think?" and I said there where okay books and there like "they were okay?!"
I mean I thought the last book was little to personal. I read in a magazine that it was a best selling child book and I'm like that is not a child book. I don't see how people are so obsessive about a fictional character that's not even real. It's crazy.

Bastille
Nature's first green is gold
Her hardest hue to hold. Her early leaf's a flower;
But only so an hour. Then leaf subsides to leaf.
So Eden sank to grief, So dawn goes down to day.
Nothing gold can stay.

Miyabi

• Level 45
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: February 17, 2009, 05:45:36 PM »
I think that it is because she writes so immaturely that so many junior high and high school age kids enjoy it.  They can read it without having to think about it.  That could be what makes it a "child's book". 

It is sad that people can be so obsessed with a fictional character.  Some of the people I know I'd swear thought Edward was real.  I'm like. . . uhm, yeah, grow up.  All in all I think it's BECAUSE it's written so poorly that it became so popular. . . which sounds contradictory within itself, but also makes sense, I think.  Maybe.  yes. xD
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

Bastille

• Level 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: February 17, 2009, 07:05:34 PM »
I think that it is because she writes so immaturely that so many junior high and high school age kids enjoy it.  They can read it without having to think about it.  That could be what makes it a "child's book". 

It is sad that people can be so obsessed with a fictional character.  Some of the people I know I'd swear thought Edward was real.  I'm like. . . uhm, yeah, grow up.  All in all I think it's BECAUSE it's written so poorly that it became so popular. . . which sounds contradictory within itself, but also makes sense, I think.  Maybe.  yes. xD

I think your right on how it's a child book like how it's written so immaturely. The author's writing expresses allot about who the author is, or something like that. Some people are going gah gah over Edward and it's not funny anymore. It's just stupid. He's fictional, F-I-C-T-I-O-N-A-L!!!!!! Not real, he'll never exist.

Bastille
Nothing gold can stay.

little wilson

• Level 29
    • View Profile
    • My Myspace
« Reply #67 on: February 17, 2009, 10:22:11 PM »
I agree, Miyabi. It's because people don't have to think when they read it. And this is another reason I think a lot of Twilighters who don't normally read won't go on to read other things. Most books require at least a little bit of thought. Is Twilight one of those? No. That's a big, resounding no.

What gets me is that all these girls are so obsessed with Edward, wishing that he was real, and yet what is Edward? Not only is he fictional, he's a stalker. He goes into Bella's room at night, to watch her sleep. And she has no idea about it. That's just flipping creepy. And what's her reaction to it? "Oh, how romantic." He gives her show-and-tell about his vampire-powers, and does she run? No. She's an idiot. I can't understand why any author would want their MC to be so stupid and yet SM apparently did. And so many girls fantasize being her....Why anyone would want to be that dumb is beyond me.
"You either die a hero or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain."

Reaves

• Level 23
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: February 18, 2009, 01:09:29 AM »
I think part of it is that for many if not most of the people reading Twilight, if they read anything else at all, read almost exclusively romance. In some of the comments from the thread linked above you can see they are like, "It will be another century until someone comes up with a man as perfect as Edward!! OMG!!" All they really care about is a flawless male who will love them no matter what. Does Edward actually have any flaws? I haven't read anything but the smallest excerpts of the books but to me it seems like Edward only has two flaws:
A.) He is a complete toolbag for Bella (includes the stalkerishness referred to above)
B.) He's undead. But then, when you sparkle, whats the big deal?
Quote from: VegasDev
RJF: "AHA! You fell victim to one of the classic blunders! The most famous is never get involved in a land war in Cairhien, but only slightly less well-known is this: never go in against a warder when he is only the distraction! Get him Rand! Buzzzzzzz!

padywhak

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: February 18, 2009, 03:47:21 AM »
i actually enjoyed the books, and can i just say i'd never read a romance book in my entire life lol. But saying that i did go through all 4 books in 3 days because they were so simple and didnt really require the slightest bit of intelligent thought. It was kinda like watching a ditzy chick flick because you're too distracted or tired to get ur brain to function properly. Something to take the edge off the boredom without requiring the use of too many brain cells

Oh and i hated edward, hes an idiot. Although i have to admit i hated bella slightly more than him.

Bastille

• Level 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: February 18, 2009, 01:09:01 PM »
i actually enjoyed the books, and can i just say i'd never read a romance book in my entire life lol. But saying that i did go through all 4 books in 3 days because they were so simple and didnt really require the slightest bit of intelligent thought. It was kinda like watching a ditzy chick flick because you're too distracted or tired to get ur brain to function properly. Something to take the edge off the boredom without requiring the use of too many brain cells

Oh and i hated edward, hes an idiot. Although i have to admit i hated bella slightly more than him.

That's what I did. I read each of the books in a day and didn't even think about what I'm reading. It was just creepy how he stalks Bella because she smells good??? It's just so weird how girls are addicted to a stalker so yes, I'm agreeing with all of you. I think the main reason everyone's a little more obsessed is how "cute" the actor (Rob) is and personally I think he is kinda cute but not enough to deserve the attention that he's getting.

Bastille
Nothing gold can stay.

padywhak

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: February 18, 2009, 01:33:04 PM »
he'll always be cedric diggory to me :D

Bastille

• Level 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: February 18, 2009, 02:21:06 PM »
he'll always be cedric diggory to me :D

Me too. I can't see him as Edward.

Bastille
Nothing gold can stay.

little wilson

• Level 29
    • View Profile
    • My Myspace
« Reply #73 on: February 18, 2009, 08:52:50 PM »
Ya know, I liked him better as Cedric, but....it's hard for me to wipe him as Edward from my head. I know a lot of people think that him playing Edward made his career for him, but I disagree. I think it ruined him. Which is sad.

Miyabi

• Level 45
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: February 19, 2009, 09:12:10 AM »
I personally thought he looked more attractive as Cedric then as Edward.
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。