Author Topic: Meyer Stops writing next twilight book  (Read 23302 times)

Shaggy

• Level 32
  • Fell Points: 0
  • I advise you not to argue. We have chipmunks.
    • View Profile
Re: Meyer Stops writing next twilight book
« Reply #30 on: January 28, 2009, 09:02:55 PM »
An end to human life as we know it.
The Shag Dog Has Spoken

SniperCatBeliever

Bringer of Flames, Leader of Destruction, Head Chipmunk.

High Chipolata of C.F.N (Chipmunks For Nuts)

"You sound like a commercial."

{Pie-Lover Poster Boy}

OOP Member.

Bastille

• Level 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 28, 2009, 09:56:39 PM »
All the boy friends at our school have been replaced by Edward Cullen

Ah, but you see, it's THIS that backs me up. All the boy friends have been replaced because none of them are as "good" as Edward. So until someone comes along who IS as "good" as Edward.....well. I think you know where I'm going with this.

Yeah I see where your going and nobody is as "good" as Edward. Such a person just doesn't exist, it's all just make up, acting, computer animation and ink.

Bastille
Nature's first green is gold
Her hardest hue to hold. Her early leaf's a flower;
But only so an hour. Then leaf subsides to leaf.
So Eden sank to grief, So dawn goes down to day.
Nothing gold can stay.

Bastille

• Level 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 28, 2009, 09:58:08 PM »
An end to human life as we know it.

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D. That's all I can say!!

Bastille
Nothing gold can stay.

Shaggy

• Level 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 28, 2009, 10:07:50 PM »
Hehe thanks. But it's kind of true. #1–it would show that all culture and sophistication has truly been abandoned, #2–it would mean that all realistic goals and futures have been replaced by some pretty-faced actor, and #3–well, since all relationships would break up, all reproduction would stop and the human race would die out. Sounds like a plan to me!!! 8)

Haha do you know what what I just wrote was? The summary of Armageddon: The Tale of Edward CullenLOL!!!!!!
The Shag Dog Has Spoken

SniperCatBeliever

{Pie-Lover Poster Boy}

OOP Member.

Bastille

• Level 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 28, 2009, 11:31:40 PM »
Haha do you know what what I just wrote was? The summary of Armageddon: The Tale of Edward CullenLOL!!!!!!

Your right!!  :D Nice!! I just found this really funny pic of Edward because you got me thinking of him and I found this and I thought it was funny.

http://p-userpic.livejournal.com/73092938/14978616

There's the link!!

Bastille
Nothing gold can stay.

Shaggy

• Level 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 28, 2009, 11:37:35 PM »
HAHA that's really funny!!!
The Shag Dog Has Spoken

SniperCatBeliever

{Pie-Lover Poster Boy}

OOP Member.

Bookstore Guy

• Level 21
  • Fell Points: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 06, 2009, 05:25:46 PM »
I think Stephen King said it best:

“Both Rowling and Meyer, they’re speaking directly to young people… The real difference is that Jo Rowling is a terrific writer and Stephenie Meyer can’t write worth a darn. She’s not very good.”

heh. i think he gives Rowling a bit too much credit, but that quote makes me feel all warm inside.
Check out our blog, Elitist Book Reviews at:
http://elitistbookreviews.blogspot.com/

little wilson

• Level 29
  • Hero of Ages: Preservation
    • View Profile
    • My Myspace
« Reply #37 on: February 06, 2009, 05:28:00 PM »
Ah! I love what he said! It makes me warm and fuzzy inside....

Here's the link to the official article:

http://blogs.usaweekend.com/whos_news/2009/02/exclusive-steph.html
« Last Edit: February 06, 2009, 05:34:19 PM by little_wilson »
"You either die a hero or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain."

Shaggy

• Level 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 07, 2009, 04:14:50 AM »
And they write very different types of books.
The Shag Dog Has Spoken

SniperCatBeliever

{Pie-Lover Poster Boy}

OOP Member.

little wilson

• Level 29
    • View Profile
    • My Myspace
« Reply #39 on: February 07, 2009, 06:25:03 AM »
Who? Stephen and Stephenie? Or Stephenie and JKR? The first, I would agree with. The second, not so much. JKR and Meyer both write fantasy. And just because King doesn't write fantasy, doesn't mean he doesn't read it. He has just as much right to express his opinion about Meyer as anyone else, and I'm actually ecstatic that he did. There's a ton of people (quite a few who are celebrities) who are gaga over Twilight. It's about time some intelligent celebrities stepped forward and said it's really not that great. It's even better that it comes from a fellow author...Makes me laugh.
"You either die a hero or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain."

Necroben

• Level 14
  • What use the ability to read if one never uses it?
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 07, 2009, 07:31:08 AM »
And just because King doesn't write fantasy, doesn't mean he doesn't read it.

I remember hearing his Dark Tower series touted as being Fantasy.  Well, it was epic...
I don't suffer from insanity...  I enjoy every minuet of it!

It's ok to be strange, as long as it's on paper. :)

Emmaleem

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 13, 2009, 06:22:57 AM »
I just read The Host.  And it is way, way better than Twilight.  The writing in Twilight ... ah, the kindest thing I could say about it is that it really needed a good editor. 

I don't blame Stephenie herself as much as I blame her publisher and, by extension, her editor.  They saw the potential in her writing, they pushed the book out the door, and they didn't take the time to help her polish it and make it good.  Her publisher is making bank.  But she's stuck with a book that is not as well-written as the concept deserves.

The Host, on the other hand, has obvious signs that it's been well-edited.  It's better structured.  The romantic tension is better.  Someone has taken a red pen to many (not as many as needed. But still many.) of the adverbs.  There's better-developed conflict and growth.

So, yeah, I guess the author is ultimately the one responsible for the book. But. As an editor (I edit essays, not novels, but some principles are the same),  I think she got a bad rap.  She needs someone who will help her writing shine, not someone who tries to push the books out the door so quickly that they don't receive the attention they need.

And I think it was stinky of Stephen King to attack her.  When was the last time he spent weeks at a time on bestseller lists?  Professional jealousy, hmm?
segullah.org

little wilson

• Level 29
    • View Profile
    • My Myspace
« Reply #42 on: February 13, 2009, 06:33:09 AM »
Oh, I don't really blame her for the quality of the books that were published. I blame her for her actions. Like with what happened with Breaking Dawn when it was released on the internet before it came out. Immature much? JKR didn't react NEARLY that bad....Even worse was what happened with Midnight Sun. It's MS that makes me truly hate her....well. That and the fact that she even came up with the joke of a book that is Twilight....

Tell me, where is the sense in what she did with Midnight Sun? She's a like a 5 year old who didn't get her way and is now taking it out on her fans. And her statement about how she's not "emotionally capable" to write the book (those were her words...). I understand how emotions play into writing. But they don't affect it so much that you can't even write your book....at least not when you have an outline and you know EXACTLY where the book is going, and you truly love writing enough to put the time needed into it. Her outline for MS was Twilight. You don't get much better than a published work for an outline. And yet, she's like "If I were to write it with how I am now, James would win and all the Cullens would die."...Pathetic. She doesn't deserve my money. She doesn't deserve my time. Hence why I refuse to read any more of her books, even if I've heard good things about them--like with The Host.

Emmaleem

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 13, 2009, 07:13:35 AM »
I suspect she's having a hard time processing her money and fame and all that.  Have you read Shannon Hale's discussion of it on her blog? http://oinks.squeetus.com/2008/09/how-to-be-a-rea/comments/page/2/  Scroll down to where Shannon comments about it.  She and Stephenie Meyer are buddies.  This is what she says:
Dawn--you're not the only one who feels as if Stephenie is punishing all her fans for what a few unscrupulous people did. However, I think that's absolutely not the case. It's not that she WON'T finish Midnight Sun, it's that she CAN'T finish it. I would feel absolutely the same way. It's not about money (the book would sell regardless), it's not about punishing anyone. It's that her unfinished book was ripped away from her and she's lost all those feelings about it that she needed in order to keep writing. What happened to her was a horrible violation. Every professional writer I've talked to about it has completely understood why she doesn't feel like she can finish it right now.

That's where she's coming from.  I don't think it's unreasonable to give her some space.   She may finish it, she may not.  But the poor woman has been through so much; it's very hard to get rich and famous quickly.  Stressful, demanding, and it brings many people down.  ("Adulation is poison," said President Hinckley).  Give her a few years to grow into it; she never expected this kind of success.  Mercy is a good thing; authors are people too.
segullah.org

Bastille

• Level 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 13, 2009, 06:45:42 PM »
HAHA that's really funny!!!

Thanks!! I was just browsing the internet and found that, printed it and glued it in the back of my notebook. It's really the only Twilight pic I like because all the others of Edward are all like how sexy he is and that's just a little crazy.

Bastille
Nothing gold can stay.