Author Topic: Meyer Stops writing next twilight book  (Read 21554 times)

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
Meyer Stops writing next twilight book
« on: September 03, 2008, 05:49:43 PM »
http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20080903/lf_nm_life/books_meyer_dc;_ylt=AjyMbNf3Jiocbx6wvGY.v86s0NUE

All I can say is I'd hate to be the person that leaked the copy, being torn to peaces by hordes of women can be a mans dream being torn apart by crazy fan girls that are mad at you isn't a pleasant thought.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

Miyabi

• Level 45
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Simple is the concept of love as eternity.
    • View Profile
Re: Meyer Stops writing next twilight book
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2008, 06:01:48 PM »
Although I didn't like the way she used colloquial English as her writing style, I am still very saddened by this.  It is sad when people take something that belongs to someone else and freely gives it away, ESPECIALLY when you were a trusted individual.  Whoever did this deserves to be severely punished.
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

WriterDan

• Level 11
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Babble from below, bubbles from above...
    • View Profile
    • Shelfari page
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2008, 05:17:04 PM »
For the amount of excitement that floats around about her books, I think that she should have just picked up the pieces and continued writing.  It'd be a good gauge for how people actually receive her books.  Stuff like this is going to happen.  Yeah, it'd be frustrating, but the article pretty much says that she knows where the leak originated.  So, cut them out of future editing processes.  Now granted, I'm looking at this from a completely removed perspective.  But for me:  get mad, show your teeth, and keep on going.  To me, this feels more like a tantrum.  But maybe I'm being too harsh.
Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

I review books at Elitist Book Reviews.  Check us out.

Sigyn

• Level 15
  • Nonononono
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2008, 05:18:30 PM »
I just find it odd that she's "too sad" to keep writing. I don't really understand that.
If I had any clue, would I be here?

Loud_G

• Level 11
  • Drawer of Dragons
    • View Profile
    • George the Dragon
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2008, 06:48:01 PM »
My wife is not happy about this turn of events. I think it is sad, but I'll survive :)

I think there is more to the story than the press has found out and I don't think that we'll ever be privy to it. :)
George the Dragon   <---- My webcomic. 

WARNING:
Features a very silly dragon. Hilarity MAY ensue.

Miyabi

• Level 45
  • Simple is the concept of love as eternity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2008, 08:16:41 PM »
I agree with you Dan, it does seem like she's just throwing a fit and saying, "I don't wanna," but there is probably something we don't know about the situation.  But in either case I think it would be best to finish writing.  My thought: If you let them get to you. . . what have you accomplished?
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

White

• Level 5
  • (is largely not of this world)
    • View Profile
    • Livejournal
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2008, 02:51:44 PM »
I have to say that as an outside observer, I've found the events surrounding the release of Breaking Dawn the "Sparkledammerung", the leak and all subsequent reactions to it to be rather entertaining.
Not so much for the events themselves but the wondeful coverage of them by various sites (okay, mainly fandom_wank, and also ONTD), to be hilarious, though that's more because of the reactions of people peripheral to the whole events, like the occasional crazy fans, and RPatz. The fact that the main actor so obviously in all interviews, struggles to find words not to insult the book with... is just hilarious.
I mean, I'd like to say that I sympathise for the author... but I kind of fail to find redeeming qualities in her work. Also, it was originally only a three book, and then she re-negotiated to 5 books, and the 4th was largely hated and the 5th is basically recap, so really it's not a great loss at all if she quits the series, but personally I think she will finish it, and that this is just huge *flounce* on her part.

I guess the highlight of the whole Sparkledammerung for me though was her brother who runs her website (fansite?) replying to a letter from a number of fans about their criticisms and whatnot about Breaking Dawn, to which her brother replies [only very partial quote] "...You say that you are not looking to hurt her, but it would be ignorant to believe that criticism of any kind does not hurt the person to whom it is directed."
It's just... boggling to my mind how this author is such a special snowflake that she needs to be shielded from any and all criticism (and this was before the leak even happened) and totally fails to really be responsible for her writing and actually recognise that this is not just a fun hobby, people are actually *paying* her to read her work.

Oh, and the quote from SMeyer herseld; "When I write the story, it's not like I'm thinking about what I'm doing..."
*facepalm*.

I anyone's interested in reading the full text of what I've quoted, you can read the fandom_wank post here: http://www.journalfen.net/community/fandom_wank/1173559.html
Clyde Bruckman: You know, there are worse ways to go, but I can't think of a more undignified way than auto-erotic asphyxiation.
Mulder: Why are you telling *me* that?
Clyde Bruckman: Look, forget I mentioned it. It's none of my business.

little wilson

• Level 29
  • Hero of Ages: Preservation
    • View Profile
    • My Myspace
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2008, 08:41:28 AM »
Twilight....What's there to say? Oh, I know. I hate it. With a passion. And it makes me laugh that Midnight Sun has been put on hold "indefinitely," especially after the epic fail that was Breaking Dawn.....I read half of that book when it leaked. I saw it being posted on imdb, so I got the link and downloaded it....What a joke of a book. Can't believe crap like that actually got published, and that people are seriously comparing her to JKR.

To be completely fair, though. I was looking forward to Midnight Sun. Smeyer failed with Twilight, but I was willing to give her one last chance. If she failed with MS, I would never read anything by her again.....And now I won't. Not only did she pretty much throw a tantrum when the draft was leaked (so what? Same thing happened with HP and JKR didn't whine like a baby), but then she said that she's not emotionally capable to write it right now.

I'm only an aspiring author, and even I know that the best way to write a book is with an outline. She has an outline. Her outline is a whole freaking published book! All she has to do is change the perspective. Really, how hard can that be? Especially with THIS story....Fail. Twilight is a perfect indication of just how sad the literary world is now...Good thing not all authors are like Smeyer in maturity and writing skill, because then we'd really be messed up.
"You either die a hero or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain."

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2008, 05:22:33 AM »
Dave is pretty sure that Stephenie was in the writing class he taught, probably the same semester Brandon and I were in the class. He said she was one of those people who never spoke up in class and who he never thought would write anything again.

I don't remember her at all, but I'm bad at remembering people, especially ones who never say anything.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

little wilson

• Level 29
    • View Profile
    • My Myspace
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2008, 06:25:04 AM »
I know this is cruel, but the world would be a better place if she HADN'T written anything again.....

"You either die a hero or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain."

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2008, 07:27:16 AM »
Dave is pretty sure that Stephenie was in the writing class he taught, probably the same semester Brandon and I were in the class. He said she was one of those people who never spoke up in class and who he never thought would write anything again.

I don't remember her at all, but I'm bad at remembering people, especially ones who never say anything.

Huh, odd.  I was in that class too and I don't remember her at all either.

I tend to forget names 10 seconds after I'm told them but I rarely forget faces so she must have rarely participated.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

firstRainbowRose

• Level 18
  • So pretty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2008, 07:36:42 AM »
I know this is cruel, but the world would be a better place if she HADN'T written anything again.....

I don't know.  I mean, the Twilight series had a lot of potental with the first book.  It's simply that the rest of them went down hill from there.  And I think the host was pretty good.  I mean, I'm at least willing to admit that I've read and enjoyed it.

And I find it funny that you guys were possably in a class with her.  I personally don't like her becauses of what I've been told she's done to her extended family.  She's let the fame get to her head too much.
"The custom of royalty in referring to oneself is to naturally employ the royal 'we'.  We are very happy, we are very sad, we are bored and suffer from ennui.  For a royal prince there's no such word as 'me', It's always 'we'.  So rightfully I should be two or three, don't you agree?"

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2008, 08:12:35 AM »
Dave taught the class a few times and she may have been in one of the other times. He wasn't sure.

I'm just repeating an unsubstantiated rumor—all Dave remembered for sure is that there was a Stephenie with an "e" in the middle of her name who was in his class, possibly the same time as us, who didn't say much, and the pictures of Stephenie Meyer he saw much later looked like the girl in his class.

Personally, I have not read the books at all.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

little wilson

• Level 29
    • View Profile
    • My Myspace
« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2008, 08:45:06 AM »
And I find it funny that you guys were possably in a class with her.

I think it's funny, too. And that they don't remember her. Shows just how memorable she was.

I personally think the premise of the book had a lot of potential. But the execution left a lot to be desired. Not in the reading--she's actually a good story-teller, but a horrible writer. Her books, using a description I got from a brilliantly-written Twilight review, is "somewhat reminiscent of a cheap, drugstore romance novel written by an inexperienced, romance-starved teenage girl."

For kicks and giggles, here's something else in the same review that makes me laugh every time:

Every single conversation in the book can be summed up like this:

Edward: Bella, I love you!

Bella: [blushes] Despite the fact that you're creepy and watch me while I sleep, which normally would upset any girl who possesses a functioning brain, I love you too!

Edward: [said broodingly, with an air of mystery] …However, our love can never be! I'm far too dangerous!

PLENTY OF FILLER, LATER

Edward: Bella, I love you even though all logic and reasoning tells me to act otherwise!

Bella: [says something witty] You are so gorgeous! Let cruel fate never tear us apart!

Edward: Well, it's been real and all, but you should probably blow this popsicle stand. I'm dangerous!

And I've never read The Host. I've heard it's better than Twilight, but I just have no desire to read it, not after her behavior with MS. She's a 30-some-odd year old woman who's acting like an 11-year-old brat. That's not cool.

Loud_G

• Level 11
  • Drawer of Dragons
    • View Profile
    • George the Dragon
« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2008, 04:54:13 PM »
The Host is MUCH better than ANY of the Twilight books. I really quite enjoyed it.

The Twilight books are fun, but not groundbreaking. The Host actually shows that the woman can write.
George the Dragon   <---- My webcomic. 

WARNING:
Features a very silly dragon. Hilarity MAY ensue.