0 (0%)
ALMOST!!!
0 (0%)
NOT YET!!!
0 (0%)
NOT QUITE!!!
6 (100%)

Total Members Voted: 6

Author Topic: SANDERSON THE NEXT DAN BROWN?  (Read 2903 times)

UtopiaGreen01

• Level 3
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
SANDERSON THE NEXT DAN BROWN?
« on: August 31, 2008, 10:36:17 PM »
GO SANDERSON!

Reaves

• Level 23
  • Fell Points: 1
    • View Profile
Re: SANDERSON THE NEXT DAN BROWN?
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2008, 11:37:53 PM »
wait so are we supposed to want him to be the next Dan Brown?
Quote from: VegasDev
RJF: "AHA! You fell victim to one of the classic blunders! The most famous is never get involved in a land war in Cairhien, but only slightly less well-known is this: never go in against a warder when he is only the distraction! Get him Rand! Buzzzzzzz!

Miyabi

• Level 45
  • Simple is the concept of love as eternity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2008, 12:48:34 AM »
Dan Brown was a conspiracy theorist who stole most of his ideas and got lucky.  I definitely DON'T think that that is Brandon.
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2008, 01:43:52 AM »
Please don't use ALL CAPS, UtopiaGreen01. It's rude.

Brandon doesn't want to be the next Dan Brown. Dan Brown isn't a fantasy writer.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

Reaves

• Level 23
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2008, 02:06:09 AM »
lol ok cause i personally detest (ok strongly dislike) the man but didn't want to come out and say so...
Quote from: VegasDev
RJF: "AHA! You fell victim to one of the classic blunders! The most famous is never get involved in a land war in Cairhien, but only slightly less well-known is this: never go in against a warder when he is only the distraction! Get him Rand! Buzzzzzzz!

Chaos

• Administrator
  • Level 36
  • Fell Points: 3
  • The Original Hero of Ages
    • View Profile
    • Eric Lake
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2008, 05:45:59 AM »
He far, far surpasses Dan Brown in storytelling ability, by far (is it legal to have that many instances of 'far' in a sentence?).
www.17thshard.com - The Official Brandon Sanderson Fansite.

Oh SNAP, I'm an Allomancer.

CthulhuKefka

• Level 15
    • View Profile
    • My Facebook
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2008, 06:20:12 AM »
Completely legal, and seems to drive the point home nicely.  ;)

On topic, the only Brown book I somewhat enjoyed was Digital Fortress. Mostly every one of his book is the same recycled story, so no, Mr. Sanderson is not the next Dan Brown.

neiana

• Level 4
    • View Profile
    • My Livejournal Account
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2008, 09:39:31 AM »
Completely legal, and seems to drive the point home nicely.  ;)

On topic, the only Brown book I somewhat enjoyed was Digital Fortress. Mostly every one of his book is the same recycled story, so no, Mr. Sanderson is not the next Dan Brown.

If that's your favorite then I'm glad I haven't touched anything else by him.  Digital Fortress, in my opinion, was light on intellectual writing (light as in having none) and heavy on childish gimmick.  I knew the answer to most of the mystery by the end of chapter three (others by the introduction of the character!).  I felt his characters were stock and badly written, hinting too strongly at all of the questions he'd hoped to keep until the final pages, and I also felt he failed quite muchly at making a believable world to surround these fine folks.  I believe the only interesting thing about this novel, aside from the fact it strayed far too much from what could or would actually happen, was that the whole of the national defense grid apparently can be eaten away like sperm eating an egg.  I mean... wasn't that actually part of the description?

Chaos

• Administrator
  • Level 36
    • View Profile
    • Eric Lake
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2008, 05:12:32 PM »
I mean, I read Angels and Demons along with the Da Vinci Code. I didn't despise them... though I thought Angels and Demons was much better on the fake conspiracies and stuff--I probably like that one because of the anti-matter bomb. That part was pretty cool.

Of course, they are the same recycled story, so at least I won't have to read any more Dan Brown books. I'd much rather read Sanderson.

Hero of Ages

• Level 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2008, 07:02:30 AM »
Dan Brown's best book IMO is Angels and Demons.  I read Da Vinci Code 1st and liked it, but liked the way the story played out better in Angels and Demons (lets be honest, it is the same story with the same main character, just different events in the story).  I started Digital Fortress, and actually got 1/4 to 1/3 into it before I figured out what was going to happen and stopped reading it.  I really despise such heavy handed storytelling.  I felt like I was being smacked over the head with it.  I read for fun and if the book isn't fun, I stop reading.

Having said that, if you want to compare Brandon to another writer (which doesn't work well for so many reasons), why don't you compare him to some one like Orson Scott Card, Terry Goodkind, Robert Jordan, or R. A. Salvatore.  They at least write books that are similar in genre (fantasy/sci-fi) to BS.  Dan Brown writes suspense/mystery/conspiracy theory.
I must not fear;
Fear is the mind killer;
I will face my fear;
I will let it pass through me;
When the fear is gone, there will be nothing;
Only I will remain.
-Paul Muad'dib Atreides-

Anticipation of death is worse than death itself.
-Me-

rjl

• Level 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2008, 01:02:44 PM »
Brandon Sanderson is an awesome writer.

Dan Brown is a thief and an idiot.

There are basically no similarities between them at all.

GreenMonsta

• Level 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2008, 06:37:45 PM »
This thread makes me happy I dont stray far from fantasy. Some one attempted to get me to read Angels and Demons some time ago but I couldnt break my fantasy trend and now Im happy of the choice.
"No signs of anything that could cause even a slight case of death"

"He's a paraplegic whats he gonna do, bite us?"

Czanos

• Level 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2008, 03:31:18 AM »
Personally, I think Dan Brown's books are okay the first time you read one of them. (Or maybe the first half of the first one you read.) It's true that is stories are all just rehashes of the same idea, but I don't think it was really a bad idea to begin with. And of course, as Chaos pointed out, Angels and Demons has antimatter bombs. Those are usually a plus, in my book.
I came because I heard stories, tales of a lengendary man.
A man who was known as the Lord of the Mists, a man they named Survivor.
A man called Hope.

Shrain

• Level 34
  • Gargoyles have all the fun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2008, 05:42:14 PM »
I am getting rather irritated with these nonsensical polls and threads authors by our friend UtopiaGreen.
Lord Ruler and Lady Protractor were off on vacation, thus the angles running amok.
--Spriggan

"The movie of my life must be really low-budget."
--Harry Dresden in DEAD BEAT

Chaos

• Administrator
  • Level 36
    • View Profile
    • Eric Lake
« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2008, 11:09:14 PM »
I am getting rather irritated with these nonsensical polls and threads authors by our friend UtopiaGreen.

You have my vehement support on this matter.