Author Topic: Important Warbreaker Values Conflict!  (Read 2378 times)

UtopiaGreen01

• Level 3
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
Important Warbreaker Values Conflict!
« on: September 07, 2008, 09:33:28 PM »
In the final version, can you make that one sister who gets sent off to the God King, at least 18 years old, instead of 17 or however old you have her?  Because in America, that is statutory rape...  What are your thoughts about this issue?

Czanos

• Level 7
    • View Profile
Re: Important Warbreaker Values Conflict!
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2008, 09:49:39 PM »
The book doesn't take place in America though. And on top of that, Seventeen is or was considered a perfectly legal age in many countries and cultures. And really, there's not a whole lot of maturity difference between a seventeen and and eighteen-year-old.
I came because I heard stories, tales of a lengendary man.
A man who was known as the Lord of the Mists, a man they named Survivor.
A man called Hope.

UtopiaGreen01

• Level 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2008, 10:08:15 PM »
I do believe Sanderson is an American.  And over in Alabama, they got values!

schneb

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2008, 10:21:48 PM »
In the final version, can you make that one sister who gets sent off to the God King, at least 18 years old, instead of 17 or however old you have her?  Because in America, that is statutory rape...  What are your thoughts about this issue?

My thought is that American law has no bearing in a fictional world.  Plus, if you're going to quote law, please know the law.  Its not statutory rape if they are married, which they are.  There are many states where you can marry with parental consent at ages younger than 17.

Besides, I'd figure that 17 was about the oldest Siri could be.  Don't forget that it was originally her oldest sister that was supposed to marry the god.  That means that her sister Vivenna had to be young enough to be considered marriageable and with Siri being the 4th child there is a minimum of 4 years between them (probably more).  Realistically she should have been younger.

Reaves

• Level 23
  • Fell Points: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2008, 11:06:45 PM »
I do believe Sanderson is an American.  And over in Alabama, they got values!
doesn't he live in Utah? I could be wrong on this.
Quote from: VegasDev
RJF: "AHA! You fell victim to one of the classic blunders! The most famous is never get involved in a land war in Cairhien, but only slightly less well-known is this: never go in against a warder when he is only the distraction! Get him Rand! Buzzzzzzz!

Miyabi

• Level 45
  • Simple is the concept of love as eternity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2008, 12:03:56 AM »

1. Yes he does live in Utah.

2. In many states IN THE U.S. it is fine for someone who is 18n to "sleep with" someone who is 16-18.

3. This culture is much different than ours, whereas our author may live in the U.S. our characters do not.

4. Honestly 17-18  WTF is the big difference?

5. You need to not be so blind and ignorant.  In many cultures girls are married off at the ages of 14 and 15.  Not being accepting of cultural differences is what has caused 98% of the wars this world has seen.

6. I am confused as to why YOU of all people want "trollers" to be banned.  You have done nothing but cause people to get angry at you since you got here.  They aren't trolling, they are getting angry at you for being a schmuck.

7. Sorry to be so blunt but it was necessary. 

Note: Many of these "trollers" you were talking about have been here for a couple to quite a few years.
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

Czanos

• Level 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2008, 01:02:30 AM »
On top of that, I'm pretty sure the law only applies to people who are alive. Seeing as how Susebron is dead . . . Well technically Siri could be charged with Disturbing a Corpse or something . . .
I came because I heard stories, tales of a lengendary man.
A man who was known as the Lord of the Mists, a man they named Survivor.
A man called Hope.

Miyabi

• Level 45
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2008, 01:05:44 AM »
On top of that, I'm pretty sure the law only applies to people who are alive. Seeing as how Susebron is dead . . . Well technically Siri could be charged with Disturbing a Corpse or something . . .
Necrophilia FTW! ha ha.
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

LeisureSuitLarry

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2008, 05:16:29 AM »
Why would anyone assume that fictional characters in a fictional world from different cultures within that fictional world share values with anyone in Alabama? I think it's also important to note that Alabama's values have probably not been the same since the first person moved there. Surely there was a point where it was not only acceptable but also encouraged for a 13 year old girl to get married and start popping out babies as quickly as possible. I doubt even in Alabama they accept that now.

happyman

• Level 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2008, 09:55:15 PM »
Guys, why are we putting up with this troll?

DO NOT FEED THE TROLLS!
Nature hates being reified.

Chaos

• Administrator
  • Level 36
  • Fell Points: 3
  • The Original Hero of Ages
    • View Profile
    • Eric Lake
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2008, 10:34:45 PM »
Because... if we do it in an entertaining manner towards the administrators, they give us Fell points?
www.17thshard.com - The Official Brandon Sanderson Fansite.

Oh SNAP, I'm an Allomancer.

happyman

• Level 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2008, 10:44:18 PM »
Because... if we do it in an entertaining manner towards the administrators, they give us Fell points?

OK, that's kinda funny.  It just seems some people actually take it seriously, instead of mocking the guy out the ears.

Also, I suspect that if the response stays muted, he will keep getting more and more offensive until it triggers something ugly.  That's the direction it's headed.
Nature hates being reified.

Miyabi

• Level 45
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2008, 11:18:10 PM »

OK, that's kinda funny.  It just seems some people actually take it seriously, instead of mocking the guy out the ears.

Also, I suspect that if the response stays muted, he will keep getting more and more offensive until it triggers something ugly.  That's the direction it's headed.
He already ASKED to be kicked, but it didn't happen. ROFL.
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。