Author Topic: The Sarah Palin VP announcement  (Read 22499 times)

SarahG

• Level 13
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
Re: The Sarah Palin VP announcement
« Reply #90 on: September 15, 2008, 07:45:24 PM »
That was hilarious!  Thanks for sharing.
He ate my horse.

Miyabi

• Level 45
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Simple is the concept of love as eternity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: September 15, 2008, 09:19:53 PM »
N/P

I felt much inclined to share after I saw it.
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

darxbane

• Level 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: September 15, 2008, 09:34:50 PM »
I liked it too.  The "I can see Russia from my house" line floored me.
I wanted to write something profound here, but I couldn't think of anything.

GorgonlaVacaTremendo

• Level 29
  • If we can teach a monkey to use a Rubic's Cube...
    • View Profile
    • Kinase Moves the Audio
« Reply #93 on: September 16, 2008, 07:34:42 AM »
On the face of it, the statement "The United States has no right to tell another country how to run, or invade it to dictate how it should run." sounds very reasonable, however I am not sure there are never exceptions.

I think it's better to say "Sometimes it might be okay to tell people what they can't do, rather than saying sometimes it might be okay to tell people what they have to do.  But, yeah, the essence of what you meant (I think) sounds viable--sometimes evil people do evil things and other people have to say, "you have been bad, you cannot do this anymore."  But I don't think it's ever okay for us to say, "you can't do this and you must do this," like invading a country and telling it that it must be a republic now.

Darxbane has a great point--trying to find a reason to dislike a candidate because you dislike a candidate is silly.  If you disagree with her platform, then you disagree with her platform.  It's probably best not to judge the candidate before you her him or her speak, though, otherwise it's easy to misinterpret what they say or infer intentions (for the better or the worse) to match your pre-existing thoughts.  The fact is, that is what a majority of politics is (thanks to a party system)--pre-existing ideas on candidates before seeing, hearing or having any knowledge of them, sometimes followed by research to back the already made biases.
"Sin lies only in hurting other people unnecessarily. All other 'sins' are invented nonsense."
Robert Heinlein

"Nobody made a greater mistake than he who did nothing because he could do only a little."
Edmund Burke

www.kinasemovestheaudio.com for a good time!

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #94 on: September 16, 2008, 01:21:56 PM »
I totally agree with you, Ookla.  Even more important is that at least McCain has a voting record.  How can you trust a person who was so afraid of hurting his political career that he refused to even submit a vote on over 130 different pieces of legislation, and made no effort to introduce any himself?  And we won't even talk about Biden.  He is one of the main reasons Congress has a 17% approval rating.  In a way, I find it hilarious when these senators and congressmen try to blast Bush for his failings when he is almost twice as popular as they are.  Here's an idea; you really want change?  Then the next time one of your state reps or senators is up for re-election, vote him out!  I mean all of them!  Since the elections are staggered, there will be enough of them left to prevent the chaos of a completely green house and senate, but you will most definitely get the attention of whoever remains. 

I do agree that the reversal on things like Guantanamo is troubling. But I think voting with your party 90% of the time is better than 98% of the time. If you don't agree on the core principles, why's it your party? Also, a large percentage of all votes is for normal, non-controversial stuff. 10% rebellion on things one feels one should stand up for seems better than only 2% bucking of the party line.

I'm sorry, i have to remain in the camp that thinks that surrendering your *own* *core* principles (not party principles) about essential human rights is much worse than having a short voting record. It says to me that even what he thinks is right isn't worth standing for.

Skar

• Level 54
  • Fell Points: 7
    • View Profile
"Skar is the kind of bird who, when you try to kill him with a stone, uses it, and the other bird, to take vengeance on you in a swirling melee of death."

-Fellfrosch

darxbane

• Level 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: September 16, 2008, 05:22:40 PM »
A very strange sense of humor.  It makes an interesting point, though I feel it is too subtle for most people to see.  In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if someone tries to rally around the "evidence" presented.

SarahG

• Level 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: September 16, 2008, 06:58:07 PM »
That's pretty funny, Skar.
He ate my horse.

Loud_G

• Level 11
  • Drawer of Dragons
    • View Profile
    • George the Dragon
« Reply #98 on: September 16, 2008, 07:21:38 PM »
That was seriously the BEST article I've ever read :D
George the Dragon   <---- My webcomic. 

WARNING:
Features a very silly dragon. Hilarity MAY ensue.

darxbane

• Level 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: September 16, 2008, 08:56:10 PM »
I am waiting for Matt Damon to try to use the article against Palin.  Actually, any Dope Celebrity Liberal will do.

Reaves

• Level 23
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: September 16, 2008, 08:56:39 PM »
That was seriously the BEST article I've ever read :D
ditto to that xD
Quote from: VegasDev
RJF: "AHA! You fell victim to one of the classic blunders! The most famous is never get involved in a land war in Cairhien, but only slightly less well-known is this: never go in against a warder when he is only the distraction! Get him Rand! Buzzzzzzz!

GreenMonsta

• Level 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: September 17, 2008, 01:32:49 AM »
Great stuff Skar.
"No signs of anything that could cause even a slight case of death"

"He's a paraplegic whats he gonna do, bite us?"

CthulhuKefka

• Level 15
    • View Profile
    • My Facebook
« Reply #102 on: September 17, 2008, 09:11:56 PM »
Little new info, apparently someone hacked into her Yahoo email account. Story here.

http://gawker.com/5051193/sarah-palins-personal-email-account-hacked

GreenMonsta

• Level 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: September 17, 2008, 10:41:10 PM »
It seems to be plain stupidity on her part. I don't understand why she wouldn't use an encrypted e-mail address if she had one unless she was doing things she wasn't supposed to.
"No signs of anything that could cause even a slight case of death"

"He's a paraplegic whats he gonna do, bite us?"

darxbane

• Level 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: September 18, 2008, 04:24:29 PM »
Green, care to clarify?  I would think the only reason she would use an encrypted email account is if she had something to hide.  These seem to be unrelated to business, and therefore irrelevant.  We can trust nothing that is not verified, and if the perpetrators are savvy enough to hack into the account, don't you think they could also change dates and create false emails to smear her?  Will it ever be possible for us to ensure the information we receive is accurate before we just spew it everywhere?  If she acted improperly she should be held accountable, but to believe everything you see on the internet is grossly irresponsible.  There was a picture of Fred Durst on top of Tower 1 with a plane about to hit it 3 days after the 9/11 attacks, for crying out loud!  Anyone believe that is true?