Poll

Do writers care more about money or people reading their work?

MONEY
1 (5.9%)
WORK
6 (35.3%)
Write books about Obama, and make money.
0 (0%)
More money than book
0 (0%)
More book than money
10 (58.8%)

Total Members Voted: 17

Author Topic: Do writers care more about money or people reading their work?  (Read 2700 times)

UtopiaGreen01

• Level 3
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
The question is above.

Shrain

• Level 34
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Gargoyles have all the fun.
    • View Profile
Re: Do writers care more about money or people reading their work?
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2008, 06:01:41 PM »
Yet the answer is below:
It depends.

In my opinion, this question is flawed to begin with and therefore moot. No two people are completely alike in their experiences, physique, talents, emotions, or motives. So why in the world would writers be any different? Each of them is an individual.

Sure, some authors are just in it for the money (and the ego-stroking), yet there are many others who are far more concerned about the quality of their writing and hence about the reception that writing receives from readers. These kind of questions based on impossible generalizations aren't much use to anyone.
Lord Ruler and Lady Protractor were off on vacation, thus the angles running amok.
--Spriggan

"The movie of my life must be really low-budget."
--Harry Dresden in DEAD BEAT

GreenMonsta

• Level 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2008, 01:24:50 AM »
Yeah Shrain well said put Utopia in His/Her place.
"No signs of anything that could cause even a slight case of death"

"He's a paraplegic whats he gonna do, bite us?"

Tankster1990

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2011, 10:54:20 PM »
for me, I'm not any sort of author or anything, I just get satisfaction if people enjoy what I write, so there really are no money issues. The more compliments I receive about something I write, the more likely it is that I would continue.

but thats just me.

fireflyz

• Level 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2011, 04:56:48 AM »
I think that any answer to this question is geared towards a rash generalization.  Having said that, I think the true test is what writers do after they have a very successful book(s) and have a lot of money.  Take Stephen King for instance, that guy could have stopped ages ago, but he still turns out good books consistently...because it's in his blood, not for the money (Full Dark, No Stars is highly reccomended btw, I especially loved his afterward which would be a good answer to this question).  Other writers hit it big and suddenly dry up...to me if you're a writer, you won't ever stop.
Follow my journey from aspiring author to published phenom.  Along the way we'll discover the dos and don'ts of successful writing!

http://twitter.com/ryanvanloan

dhalagirl

• Level 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2011, 07:33:47 AM »
I'm with Shrain and fireflyz on this one.  Art is important, but so is money.  I would love to have my writing read and loved by millions of people.  But I still have bills to pay.  Besides, let's face it.  It's not always easy to find time and/or energy to write when you have a day job.  Getting paid to write is the ultimate win.