Author Topic: Jade Knight's thread of Proofreadingishnesses  (Read 83540 times)

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
Re: Jade Knight's thread of Proofreadingishnesses
« Reply #105 on: February 23, 2007, 10:44:46 PM »
wow, neither of you realise you just have to go and edit to actuall poll post in the Suggestions Box board to do this?  Both of you should have rights to do it.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

Nessa

• Administrator
  • Level 32
  • Fell Points: 5
  • Giving life to demon spawn since 1999
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: February 23, 2007, 10:57:18 PM »
This just goes to show how little some of us know about what we can with our admin rights. You're so used to it, Sprig, and you know all the back-end stuff so well, it's obvious to you. Sorry to be a bother.
"The difference between the almost right word and the right word is really a large matter--'tis the difference between the lightning-bug and the lightning."  -  Mark Twain

Check out my book reviews at http://elitistbookreviews.blogspot.com/

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #107 on: February 23, 2007, 10:59:37 PM »
Just figured it was obvious since you create polls via the forum and we've had many discussions on the forum about how the polls work in conjunction with the front page.

Plus would it have killed either of you two to ask how to do something instead of assuming I'd fix it?  I'd rather teach you to fish then give you one.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2007, 11:03:46 PM by Spriggan »
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

The Jade Knight

• Level 39
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Lord of the Absent-Minded
    • View Profile
    • Don't go here
« Reply #108 on: February 24, 2007, 01:25:42 AM »
I currently can't do front page stuff; I assumed it was part of that (any clues yet?)  Anyway, now I know.
"Never argue with a fool; they'll bring you down to their level, and then beat you with experience."

The Jade Knight

• Level 39
    • View Profile
    • Don't go here
« Reply #109 on: February 26, 2007, 11:54:04 PM »
"Little girls grow up wishing they really are princesses"

I think this should be "really were princesses".  I don't think we've lost the subjunctive entirely in English yet, have we?
"Never argue with a fool; they'll bring you down to their level, and then beat you with experience."

The Jade Knight

• Level 39
    • View Profile
    • Don't go here
« Reply #110 on: March 01, 2007, 12:57:51 AM »
"When a book promises 'secrets' and 'adventure' it had better live up to the hype. "

Should there be a comma after 'adventure'?

Nessa

• Administrator
  • Level 32
  • Fell Points: 5
  • Giving life to demon spawn since 1999
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: March 01, 2007, 02:56:29 AM »
"When a book promises 'secrets' and 'adventure' it had better live up to the hype. "

Should there be a comma after 'adventure'?

I think a comma there is a matter of preference more than a real hard and fast rule. I didn't feel like a pause was necessary there so I didn't put one.

However.

The sentence in the review that gives me trouble is (not sure what to do with it):

A surprise filler are some of the interesting minor artifacts that have slipped from the cold, dead fingers of the long-lost titan-giants that used to rule the continent like the ‘Staff of the Magma Falls’.

What's The Almighty Jade's thoughs on that one?
"The difference between the almost right word and the right word is really a large matter--'tis the difference between the lightning-bug and the lightning."  -  Mark Twain

Check out my book reviews at http://elitistbookreviews.blogspot.com/

The Jade Knight

• Level 39
    • View Profile
    • Don't go here
« Reply #112 on: March 01, 2007, 04:35:51 AM »
Firsly, "a surprise filler" shouldn't use "are" as a verb.

Perhaps "Some of the more surprising filler include the interesting minor artifacts that have slipped from the cold, dead fingers of the long-lost titan-giants that used to rule the continent, such as the ‘Staff of the Magma Falls’."

What do you think?  Better?  Retains the original sense?  Am I totally off?

(And shouldn't "Drow" be capitalized?  Or no?)

The Jade Knight

• Level 39
    • View Profile
    • Don't go here
« Reply #113 on: March 08, 2007, 09:02:17 AM »
"When pursuing the Green Lion, don't forget to bring a set of loaded dice, they may just save the day."

2nd comma should be a semicolon.

Chimera

• Level 31
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Do I look pasty to you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: April 11, 2007, 06:25:15 PM »
Gah!!! Can someone fix the frontpage intro to the Nerdery column so the noun and verb agree??

Instead of: "Does the couples that games together stay together?"

Please choose:
"Does the couple that games together stay together?"
or
"Do the couples that game together stay together?"

Thank you.
There is just no way you are the pine-scented air. --Billy Collins, "Litany"

The Jade Knight

• Level 39
    • View Profile
    • Don't go here
« Reply #115 on: October 30, 2008, 12:15:16 AM »
"The boy Tavi has no magic to call his own, which among the people of Alera makes him something of a cripple. He can’t call a fury of the earth or of wood, like his Uncle Bernard; the fury of water like his Aunt Isana; and neither can he use a fire, metal, or air fury like his friends. To make up for his lack of magic he has to be brave and clever: characteristics which become crucial to the events happening in the Calderon Valley where he lives."

This should be:

"The boy Tavi has no magic to call his own, which, among the people of Alera, makes him something of a cripple. He can’t call a fury of the earth or of wood like his Uncle Bernard; the fury of water like his Aunt Isana; and neither can he use a fire, metal, or air fury like his friends. To make up for his lack of magic, he has to be brave and clever—characteristics which become crucial to the events happening in the Calderon Valley where he lives."

That's just in the punctuation department.  Could use some editing in general, though.