Author Topic: Can I outsource writing to India at $.25 per page and pass it off as my own?  (Read 7084 times)

UtopiaGreen01

• Level 3
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
If their job contract says I can, would that be ethical?

Skar

• Level 54
  • Fell Points: 7
    • View Profile
Yes.
"Skar is the kind of bird who, when you try to kill him with a stone, uses it, and the other bird, to take vengeance on you in a swirling melee of death."

-Fellfrosch

MsFish

• Level 44
  • Geek Girl, Undercover
    • View Profile
Well, not in an academic setting, where turning something in for a class implies that it's your own work.  So it depends.
Hold fast to dreams, for when dreams die, life is a broken winged bird that cannot fly.  Hold fast to dreams, for when dreams go, life is a barren field frozen with snow.  -Langston Hughes

Skar

• Level 54
    • View Profile
Oh no, MsFish.  If you paid for it, it's yours.  Is there some question about who owns the plastic shark I just bought? Does it somehow still belong to the rickets victim who assembled it in far off Taiwan?  In what way would a paper that I paid a legless Indian street urchin to write not be "my own?"
"Skar is the kind of bird who, when you try to kill him with a stone, uses it, and the other bird, to take vengeance on you in a swirling melee of death."

-Fellfrosch

Miyabi

• Level 45
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Simple is the concept of love as eternity.
    • View Profile
There is a difference in saying it's 'yours' and saying it's 'your work'.  Saying it is your work would be implying that you did the work to achieve the result, which in turn would not be the truth and would be unethical.  If you were saying it is 'mine', then it would be ethical, but to say it is 'my work' would be unethical.  There is a fine line there.
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
It's a work, and it's yours. I don't see the issue there.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

Eudaimoniac

• Level 3
    • View Profile
So i could by... say Mistborn, say it it a work, and it is mine and thus it would be my work ?

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
A flaw in the plan!!
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

Miyabi

• Level 45
    • View Profile
Really it comes down to whether or not you are implying you did the work.
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

neiana

• Level 4
    • View Profile
    • My Livejournal Account
Really it comes down to whether or not you are implying you did the work.

What if I did the work that earned the wages to pay someone else to do the work?  Isn't it my work, then, because I did work necessary for its creation?

Miyabi

• Level 45
    • View Profile
Re: Can I outsource writing to India at $.25 per page and pass it off as my own?
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2008, 06:29:07 AM »
I don't mean did the work as in cause it's creation I'm saying did the work as in did the writing itself.

But in any case Ethics are objective.
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

neiana

• Level 4
    • View Profile
    • My Livejournal Account
Re: Can I outsource writing to India at $.25 per page and pass it off as my own?
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2008, 07:32:36 AM »
I don't mean did the work as in cause it's creation I'm saying did the work as in did the writing itself.

But in any case Ethics are objective.

I assume you mean subjective?

Miyabi

• Level 45
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2008, 03:21:00 PM »
No, I mean objective.  We can make ethics anything we wish.  We can change them to suit our needs.  While they are subjective, they are also objective.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2008, 04:55:58 PM by miyabi »
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

Necroben

• Level 14
  • What use the ability to read if one never uses it?
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2008, 04:47:44 PM »
This is why people hire Lawyers.  There are so many ins and outs to the question of intellectual ownership that most of us get would get lost in all the paper work.
I don't suffer from insanity...  I enjoy every minuet of it!

It's ok to be strange, as long as it's on paper. :)

Eudaimoniac

• Level 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2008, 05:31:22 PM »
The question is inherently flawed. It delivers too little information to be answered. But from a legal standpoint the eternal phrase fits nicely: "It depends."

It depends on who you are passing it off to.

It depends on what country you are passing it is as your own.

It depends on weather or not there is a contract, and if there is, (naturally) what terms are in the contract.

It depends on who it is you outsource it to.

It depends on what kind of writing it is.

So... i depends