Author Topic: Warbreaker 2  (Read 7252 times)

Andrew the Great

• Level 19
  • Fell Points: 0
  • If that never happened again, it would be too soon
    • View Profile
Re: Warbreaker 2
« Reply #15 on: August 26, 2008, 03:07:14 AM »
Ah, and I think that Ookla writes/(talks?) completely different than EUOL. 

Ahh, but you didn't take into account the fact that EUOL is actually schizophrenic...Or is he?...
Sign on wall: "We're doing everything we can to get you to the math lab and get you help."
Random girl: "That explains so much about the way my professors have been teaching..."

"Look! I can play Mary had a little lamb on my rape whistle!"

Executor of Chaos' Opinions in the Event of His Absence

fbd

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 27, 2008, 07:26:06 AM »
The Warbreaker story pretty much ends in the first book (everyone's character arc finishes), but it definitely needs a sequel. I'm not sure at what point Brandon decided this.
Not everyone's arc finishes...its been a few months since I read it and completely forget character names, but "the dude with the talking sword" opened up a whole lot of potential follow up material at the end.

WriterDan

• Level 11
  • Babble from below, bubbles from above...
    • View Profile
    • Shelfari page
« Reply #17 on: August 27, 2008, 05:02:24 PM »
Yeah, there wasn't much of a character arc at all for Vasher, that I agree with.  My guess is he'd be one of the main players for a MC in WB2 though. Arcs for Vivienna, Lightsong, and Siri were finished though.  It's kind of odd for me that Vasher even gets page-time because of who he is.I think the book would feel more complete if he was taken out.  But then you miss out on the cool sword.  So...
Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

I review books at Elitist Book Reviews.  Check us out.

dawncawley

• Level 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 28, 2008, 08:25:33 AM »
Maybe it's just me, but I don't think you get the same feel and conflict from Warbreaker if you take Vasher out. I like his character, I like his page time, and I like the turn it takes. Yes, I think it might foreshadow the second book,and that is alright with me. But, I agree that the other characters are wrapped up nicely.

WriterDan

• Level 11
  • Babble from below, bubbles from above...
    • View Profile
    • Shelfari page
« Reply #19 on: August 28, 2008, 05:12:16 PM »
Ah, not removed from the book.  Just removed as a POV character.  He definitely needs to be there, I agree.  Hope I didn't confuse any with the vague reference to being "removed".
Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

I review books at Elitist Book Reviews.  Check us out.

darxbane

• Level 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 28, 2008, 05:33:12 PM »
Yeah, there wasn't much of a character arc at all for Vasher, that I agree with. My guess is he'd be one of the main players for a MC in WB2 though. Arcs for Vivienna, Lightsong, and Siri were finished though. It's kind of odd for me that Vasher even gets page-time because of who he is.I think the book would feel more complete if he was taken out. But then you miss out on the cool sword. So...

What? Vasher's character is critical to this book?  None of the other story arcs, especially Vivenna and Denth's, could have been wrapped up without him.  Instead, this book felt like it was not the first of the series.  Vasher is written in a way that makes me feel like I should already know who he is, or just accept that he is more than he appears.  It's hard to explain.
I wanted to write something profound here, but I couldn't think of anything.

dawncawley

• Level 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 28, 2008, 06:16:33 PM »
That made more sense Dan. :) Thanks for clarifying. I am still going to have to disagree somewhat, I think his internal is important to the story. Maybe not in the way that the others are, but still necessary, in my opinion.

happyman

• Level 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 29, 2008, 03:36:30 AM »
I think it can best be said that Vasher is the exposition character.  Because of him, we get insight into the way the world works that none of the other characters would have access to.  In short, he's the closest Brandon can get to third-person omniscient in the current fantasy genre.  This stems from Brandon's desire to make magic an integral, comprehensible part of the world, a need which I find attractive and interesting.

In a nutshell, I feel that although the character development may have worked without Vasher's viewpoints, the world-building would have suffered some.
Nature hates being reified.

bhthomas

• Level 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 30, 2008, 05:04:37 AM »
i think Warbreaker is a lot like Elantris.The story that surrounded the characters in the book is finished but there is more going on in the world that we want answers too. If he does do a second Warbreaker it would be cool if he did a second Elantris too

Miyabi

• Level 45
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Simple is the concept of love as eternity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 30, 2008, 05:10:16 AM »
A second Elantris gets talked about a lot in the threads.  It gets randomly brought up all the time.  The general consensus is that it would just drag down the story and not be good for it.  Although I think that stories about people in other parts of the world dealing with other things would be cool, but a sequel would not do well for the story.
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 30, 2008, 05:42:23 AM »
But there probably will be an Elantris sequel someday. Not focused on the main characters of the first book, though.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

Miyabi

• Level 45
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Simple is the concept of love as eternity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 30, 2008, 05:51:10 AM »
Well see, that would be OK.  It would be more a 'parallel story' rather than a 'sequel'.
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 30, 2008, 05:51:41 PM »
It would happen like 10 years later though. Brandon has already mentioned who at least one of the viewpoint triad characters would be.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

Chaos

• Administrator
  • Level 36
  • Fell Points: 3
  • The Original Hero of Ages
    • View Profile
    • Eric Lake
« Reply #28 on: August 30, 2008, 08:31:15 PM »
A second Elantris gets talked about a lot in the threads.  It gets randomly brought up all the time.  The general consensus is that it would just drag down the story and not be good for it.  Although I think that stories about people in other parts of the world dealing with other things would be cool, but a sequel would not do well for the story.

I disagree with that. I am fully convinced Brandon could write a compelling sequel to Elantris. If you read the Elantris annotations, you quickly realize that his map of Opelon is incredibly zoomed in onto Arelon, without showing much of the larger continent, which just screams epic conflict, in my opinion. There's plenty of mystery in the magic system to continue to explore as well, and not just how the Seons are created. The ending of Elantris opens a wide door for new and surprising methods of channeling the Dor. There's a whole host of content to delve into, so I don't see how that could be such a drag.

The only trick would be to make the sequel relatively self-contained. I mean, of course, it would build on the world introduced in Elantris, but I mean, it shouldn't be a sequel that has two parts. What comes to mind is Pirates of the Carribbean, which had a fantastic first movie, but the conflicts introduced in the first movie were not carried over into the second and third one--instead, they merely rehashed the characters and gave completely new conflicts. To me, that made the trilogy very disjointed and not cohesive.

An Elantris sequel would, in my mind, only be effective if it was a story in itself, much like how Elantris was in the first place.

In any case, the point is relatively moot. If Brandon decided to write it, he probably wouldn't work on it until quite a few years. He's busy with A Memory of Light, which could (and probably should) take a long time to make it as flawless as possible. Next comes Way of Kings and a few more Alcatraz books, not to mention Warbreaker being published in the first place. After that--and Ookla, please correct me if I'm wrong, I'm just saying this from information I picked up on the board, which in no way means I am an official source here--he might have time for an Elantris sequel. Heck, if Brandon set the sequel ten years in the future, I'd imagine that'd be just right, because ten years from now in real life, he may actually have an opportunity to do it!

But, in review, my opinion of an Elantris sequel simple: Brandon, if you have enough cool material and ideas to make it work well (and it's a self-contained story), then by all means, make it! I will certainly read it, for sure! However, if you don't feel there is enough material to warrant a sequel, you shouldn't feel pressured into it. No one will hold it against you if Elantris is an individual novel without sequels--which, really, is sort of why a lot of people liked Elantris in the first place.
www.17thshard.com - The Official Brandon Sanderson Fansite.

Oh SNAP, I'm an Allomancer.

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 30, 2008, 11:13:57 PM »
Way of Kings (Oathshards) is going to be a long series. I've heard how long Brandon wants to make it but I don't know that that's public information, so I won't say. However, while he's working on it, it's not going to be the only thing he writes. He may write three books in a row, then write something else, then write two more Oathshards books, then something else... I'm guessing that he'll write the Elantris sequel sometime during this, but most likely after he writes Nightblood. (I'm not sure when he plans to start the release of Dragonsteel.)

Also note that this only counts books for the general market. He will be writing any number of YA books and books like Alcatraz at the same time he's writing his grown-up fantasy books.