Author Topic: Question regarding Mistborn 2 **SPOILER POTENTIAL****  (Read 4971 times)

SarahG

• Level 13
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Question regarding Mistborn 2 **SPOILER POTENTIAL****
« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2008, 10:55:34 PM »
Exactly what I was saying. How could Marsh get in unnoticed? However he did it, others could do it as well.

Except that Marsh was thought of by those in power as a good guy. He could easily have gotten help from one of the crew.
He ate my horse.

Comatose

• Level 19
  • Fell Points: 1
  • A Shard of Adonalsium
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2008, 11:11:45 PM »
And he didn't go unnoticed, there were several reports of an inquisitor in Luthadel.  I like this idea that hemalurgist can't release the power of the well, which is why Vin had to take out her earring.  It also makes sense why Ruin (if it was Ruin) instructced Vin's mother to use only an earring instead of a spike so that Vin could remove it without harming herself.  And if Hemalurgy is of Ruin, then it would make sense that a hemalurgist couldn't take the power, because the power in the well was made to trap Ruin, and thus would not blend with things of him.
AS for why the other inquisitors weren't there, they were probably busy attacking and capturing the Keepers.
"Look, I'm just trying to change the world, okay?  I don't have time for a grudge match with every poser in a parka!"
- Dr. Horrible

"There's always another secret..."
- Kelsier

Coof

• Level 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 20, 2008, 11:23:09 PM »
I didn't remember others noticing a steel inquisitor in Luthadel. I'll have to go look back at that.

I believe that it would be relatively easy to get into a city ravaged by war. The popluace was hiding and many of the entrances were probably not guarded.

Comatose

• Level 19
  • A Shard of Adonalsium
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 21, 2008, 12:08:41 AM »
And he has allomancy, remember how easy it was for Kell, Vin, and Zane to get in.  It says several times near the end that an inquisitor was sighted in Luthadel.  I guessed it was Marsh right away, but it didn't say it was him. 
"Look, I'm just trying to change the world, okay?  I don't have time for a grudge match with every poser in a parka!"
- Dr. Horrible

- Kelsier

Reaves

• Level 23
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 21, 2008, 03:35:11 PM »
And he didn't go unnoticed, there were several reports of an inquisitor in Luthadel.  I like this idea that hemalurgist can't release the power of the well, which is why Vin had to take out her earring.  It also makes sense why Ruin (if it was Ruin) instructced Vin's mother to use only an earring instead of a spike so that Vin could remove it without harming herself.  And if Hemalurgy is of Ruin, then it would make sense that a hemalurgist couldn't take the power, because the power in the well was made to trap Ruin, and thus would not blend with things of him.
Well then why would Ruin want Alendi to go to the Well if he can't do anything?
Also i don't think that removing your piercings makes you a non-hemalurgist. A mistborn without metals is still a Mistborn, just like a feruchemist without any armbands is still a feruchemist.
Quote from: VegasDev
RJF: "AHA! You fell victim to one of the classic blunders! The most famous is never get involved in a land war in Cairhien, but only slightly less well-known is this: never go in against a warder when he is only the distraction! Get him Rand! Buzzzzzzz!

Coof

• Level 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 21, 2008, 04:06:48 PM »
That is a really good question Reeves.

There seem to be a lot of inconsistencies with what we of of so far. Was Rashek a Hemalurgist as well as the other two?
I agree that the process of piercing creates a Hemalurgist, but I think that once you have that power, removing some of the piercings won't undo what was done.

Andrew the Great

• Level 19
  • If that never happened again, it would be too soon
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 21, 2008, 06:51:11 PM »
I phrased that poorly. I was talking about active hemalurgy, which can only be used with the spike/earring. Not what comes just from being a hemalurgist.

And Alendi has piercings, not spikes. Besides, we don't even know if they're hemalurgical. for all we know they're to look cool. But even if they are, he could just remove them...
Sign on wall: "We're doing everything we can to get you to the math lab and get you help."
Random girl: "That explains so much about the way my professors have been teaching..."

"Look! I can play Mary had a little lamb on my rape whistle!"

Executor of Chaos' Opinions in the Event of His Absence

Czanos

• Level 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 21, 2008, 07:44:51 PM »
Well, The Lord Ruler did have piercings on his upper arms, and Brandon says he has all three magic systems. Could those bands (of Atium specifically?) be the piercings of the Hero? If so, perhaps what happened is that Raskek killed Alendi in such a fashion that Alendi's (theoretical) Hemalurgical piercings could instead be used by him. Just adding to the intrigue.
I came because I heard stories, tales of a lengendary man.
A man who was known as the Lord of the Mists, a man they named Survivor.
A man called Hope.

HoBo_Adin

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 21, 2008, 07:54:05 PM »
Well, The Lord Ruler did have piercings on his upper arms, and Brandon says he has all three magic systems....

Is that an actual quote or a paraphrase?  Correct me if I'm wrong, but the inquisitors are the only known users of heralurgy.  I thought that TLR had the piercings to keep his bands from being used by another allomancer. 
"Every day's a good day;  just try missing one once" - Poolhall Junkies

Reaves

• Level 23
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 21, 2008, 08:37:22 PM »
Marsh's plan to kill the Lord Ruler is a good one too. Unfortunately, the Lord Ruler's power doesn't come only from Hemalurgy, but from other things as well. If he'd pulled off the bracelets instead. . .
Quote from: VegasDev
RJF: "AHA! You fell victim to one of the classic blunders! The most famous is never get involved in a land war in Cairhien, but only slightly less well-known is this: never go in against a warder when he is only the distraction! Get him Rand! Buzzzzzzz!

Comatose

• Level 19
  • A Shard of Adonalsium
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 22, 2008, 07:03:19 AM »
I don't think that Brandon is referring to the Bracelets being hemalurgical.  He says instead.  Marsh's plan would work on someone who is using only hemalurgy, but the lord Ruler has feruchemy as well, in the bracelets, which is why Marsh should have pulled off the feruchemical bracelets
- Dr. Horrible

- Kelsier

Czanos

• Level 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 22, 2008, 09:43:18 AM »
But it seems to me that they're the only piercings we know of that The Lord Ruler has. All of the metal rings and bracelets and such are free and Vin can use them for Allomantic anchors. (But that's really not a good idea.) And seeing as how those are the only piercings on his whole upper torso, I'm inclined to believe they're either all or almost all the Hemalurgy he has at that moment. But that raises the question of why? Why are only those thin bracelets (Made of atium I might add.) the only Hemalurgic piercings he's got?
I came because I heard stories, tales of a lengendary man.
A man who was known as the Lord of the Mists, a man they named Survivor.
A man called Hope.

Comatose

• Level 19
  • A Shard of Adonalsium
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 22, 2008, 10:55:17 PM »
I think the Feruchemincal (we know they are feruchemical because they stored his age) bracelets were only piercing him so that Allomancer couldn't steal them.  Perhaps the Lord Ruler has removable piercings, like Vin, and only uses it when he needs to, or maybe he uses hemalurgy in a different way that we don't understand yet.  From the way brandon stated it, it sound like the bracelets are NOT hemalurgic.
- Dr. Horrible

- Kelsier

Coof

• Level 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 22, 2008, 11:01:50 PM »
They bracelets were for storing age.

Brandon says that The Lord Ruler is a Hemalurgist as well as a Feruchemist. We know he could use Allomancy but I am unsure as to whether or not he was Mistborn. Maybe he obtained his powers from hemalurgy. Also Brandon says that The Lord Ruler obtained his power from a different source from Vin, so maybe the Lord Ruler wasn't Mistborn. Just a thought.

Comatose

• Level 19
  • A Shard of Adonalsium
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 23, 2008, 12:18:45 AM »
I'm assuming the lord ruler got his power from the metal elend ate,but maybe he ate a lot of it, or maybe he used a combination of allomancy and feruchemy to get more powerful, like he made atium into an age giving metal, maybe he could store up steel power and speed in steel, and then burn it for increased returns, making his pushes stronger.  Anyways, power aside, I think that is what is meant, the Lord ruler got his pwoer from the metal, Vin got the power through genetics.  We also don't know why she is so powerful yet.
- Dr. Horrible

- Kelsier