Author Topic: Tell us?  (Read 5925 times)

Miyabi

• Level 45
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Simple is the concept of love as eternity.
    • View Profile
Tell us?
« on: August 19, 2008, 07:45:31 AM »
Uhm, let us in on what's going on?  It is after all, nice to know what's happening on a site you spend hours a day on.

I mean I'm freaking out wondering what's happening.  I logged on and everything was blank and stuff.  Now it's all blue. o.0  What happened?
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
Re: Tell us?
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2008, 07:42:58 PM »
We got hacked. We're slowly piecing it all back together.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net

Miyabi

• Level 45
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2008, 07:50:09 PM »
Oh OK.  Thanks. Using PHPBB3 would help prevent that.  SMF is actually quite vulnerable.  BUT I guess you guys are probably used to using SMF and don't want to reprogram the style sheets for PHPBB3.  You could mod the SMF data in order to make it less vulnerable too.  Just google hacking SMF and then look at what is being exploited in order to hack it then edit those strings within the system you already have.  That's quite a bit of work tough.
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2008, 08:15:09 PM »
Nothing is 100% secure, there's no difference between PHPBB3 and SMF when it comes to security even if the exploits are different, plus Google just people results pop up on a google search for "Hack SMF" doesn't mean there are more or less exploits then for a different BBS.
That being said the reason I chose SMF over PHPBB is at the time PHPBB was suffering from a lot of SQLinjections and a lot of sites I visit moved away from it because there was no fix for the problem. 

But I think they came in through the front page which uses a very old version of PHPnuke (probably from around 2002) which is why it's not back up yet.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2008, 08:19:34 PM by Spriggan »
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

Miyabi

• Level 45
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2008, 08:48:28 PM »
From my experience PHPBB3 is very secure and I only found one hole, and some people I know can only find that same hole.  I know that those aren't ALL the exploits available for it, but you could get a lot of the more commonly used ones protected.

Just attempting to hlep.
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

Reaves

• Level 23
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2008, 09:58:06 PM »
I see the front page is coming along, good luck admin!
Quote from: VegasDev
RJF: "AHA! You fell victim to one of the classic blunders! The most famous is never get involved in a land war in Cairhien, but only slightly less well-known is this: never go in against a warder when he is only the distraction! Get him Rand! Buzzzzzzz!

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2008, 07:30:09 PM »
blarg, finally got it up.  had the files on three different computers for some dumb reason.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

Miyabi

• Level 45
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2008, 11:53:13 PM »
So is the whole money bag thing actually being revived or is it just because the files you used to redo the style just from clear back in 07?
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

Emillith

• Level 3
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
    • Joyful Light of the Stargarden
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2008, 01:57:37 PM »
I like the new theme. :) Much more cozy than all the white and shades of gray. I"m newish, so I don't know if the blahs was a result of rebuilding from hackers or not. Still, nice job. :)

Reaves

• Level 23
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2008, 05:37:00 PM »
lol actually its the old theme. The gray was just what was on default i guess  :) But yeah we got hacked a couple weeks back.
RJF: "AHA! You fell victim to one of the classic blunders! The most famous is never get involved in a land war in Cairhien, but only slightly less well-known is this: never go in against a warder when he is only the distraction! Get him Rand! Buzzzzzzz!

dawncawley

• Level 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2008, 05:31:49 AM »
The money bag thing was an April Fool's joke that year. :D And yes, I think it is because of the files used to return us to what we were all used to. Thank  you Spriggan :)

Miyabi

• Level 45
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2008, 11:31:19 PM »
Did someone change the width of the forum?

I liked it MUCH better when it was smaller.  Now it is HUGE on my screen and it not as aesthetic as it was before.
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

Emillith

• Level 3
    • View Profile
    • Joyful Light of the Stargarden
« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2008, 02:25:39 AM »
I'm not noticing anything different (width) on my machine...

Andrew the Great

• Level 19
  • If that never happened again, it would be too soon
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2008, 06:33:49 AM »
Same for me as before as well.
Sign on wall: "We're doing everything we can to get you to the math lab and get you help."
Random girl: "That explains so much about the way my professors have been teaching..."

"Look! I can play Mary had a little lamb on my rape whistle!"

Executor of Chaos' Opinions in the Event of His Absence

Reaves

• Level 23
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2008, 12:00:43 AM »
I recently switched my browser to Google Chrome and suddenly everything seemed a whole lot wider...esp TWG. Perhaps thats what happened?