Author Topic: I WANNA!!! . . . .  (Read 8850 times)

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
Re: I WANNA!!! . . . .
« Reply #45 on: August 23, 2008, 04:01:52 AM »
I'm pretty sure it means you just went up a level. The closer you are to your next level, the more stars you have, I'm guessing.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

Andrew the Great

• Level 19
  • Fell Points: 0
  • If that never happened again, it would be too soon
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 23, 2008, 04:52:30 AM »
But that doesn't make sense because I just leveled up and I only had one star right before that.
Sign on wall: "We're doing everything we can to get you to the math lab and get you help."
Random girl: "That explains so much about the way my professors have been teaching..."

"Look! I can play Mary had a little lamb on my rape whistle!"

Executor of Chaos' Opinions in the Event of His Absence

Comatose

• Level 19
  • Fell Points: 1
  • A Shard of Adonalsium
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 24, 2008, 01:21:24 AM »
I think I just leveled up, and I lost four stars so that makes sense.
"Look, I'm just trying to change the world, okay?  I don't have time for a grudge match with every poser in a parka!"
- Dr. Horrible

"There's always another secret..."
- Kelsier

Miyabi

• Level 45
  • Simple is the concept of love as eternity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 24, 2008, 04:47:35 AM »
I don't think I'm anywhere near leveling. ha ha.

Oh sad.  I start this thread then miss all the fun cause I was in NYC and then drove across the country back to Idaho.  How come I missed all the making fun of the mok?
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

Comatose

• Level 19
  • A Shard of Adonalsium
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 24, 2008, 06:17:59 AM »
We could start over again, if you really want too, I'm sure Ookla doesn't mind ;D.
"Look, I'm just trying to change the world, okay?  I don't have time for a grudge match with every poser in a parka!"
- Dr. Horrible

- Kelsier

Miyabi

• Level 45
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: August 24, 2008, 06:33:40 AM »
ha ha.  So did we ever get any definite translational pattern or am I gonna have to work it out myself? ha ha.
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

Comatose

• Level 19
  • A Shard of Adonalsium
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 24, 2008, 07:56:35 PM »
You're talking about Spook now right?  I don't think there is any pattern, it's just kind of made up.  I think that's why Sarah is so annoyed with it.
- Dr. Horrible

- Kelsier

Miyabi

• Level 45
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 24, 2008, 08:44:40 PM »
There is a patter, it is just unconventional and that's why she is mad. ha ha.
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

Comatose

• Level 19
  • A Shard of Adonalsium
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 25, 2008, 03:47:38 AM »
No, I'm pretty sure there's no pattern, and it was just kind of made up I think, here's a quote from an annotation.

Spook is based very loosely on a person I knew from the timewastersguide forums. Zack--or Gemm, as his nick was--is very good at posting random gibberish which, if you look at it very closely, actually reads to be rather poetic. I wanted to do a character who spoke with a dialect that had an interesting rhythm, yet was difficult to make out.

Hence the character of Spook. Normally, I don't like dialects. Yet, something about this one was very intriguing to me. I like the way his sentences sound, even when they're completely unintelligible. I do realize, however, that some people really don't like reading what he has to say. Don't worry--he begins to speak more and more intelligibly from here on out. Previous
- Dr. Horrible

- Kelsier

Miyabi

• Level 45
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 25, 2008, 04:10:35 PM »
That doesn't mean there wasn't a pattern.
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

SarahG

• Level 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 25, 2008, 05:28:09 PM »
Well, there WASN'T a pattern, conventional or unconventional, and that's that.  If one is ever discovered and explained in a convincing way, I will eat humble pie, but until then, I will rant whenever Spook's speech is mentioned in a positive way.

Miyabi, if this helps you understand my aversion, I feel about Spook's speech the way you feel about facial hair.  (By the way, I have different tastes - I think soul patches are the worst kind of facial hair ever invented, and I'm mad at Apollo Anton Ohno for popularizing them.  On the other hand, I'm OK with some kinds of beards - neatly trimmed, but not sculpted.)  It just makes me cringe and shudder.
He ate my horse.

Comatose

• Level 19
  • A Shard of Adonalsium
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 25, 2008, 07:40:15 PM »
Exactly, what makes you think there is a pattern anyway, Miyabi?
- Dr. Horrible

- Kelsier

Miyabi

• Level 45
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 26, 2008, 12:15:30 AM »
I'm going to spend part of tonight finding and writing down everything that he said and try and figure it out.

I guess I thought there was a pattern because I understood everything he said.  I am good at things like Math, Science, Art, etc., and I'm majoring in Software development.  All things that have rigorous patterns.  So I assumed that if it appealed to me there was some hidden patter. ha ha. 

I'll work on it though tonight.
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

Andrew the Great

• Level 19
  • If that never happened again, it would be too soon
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: August 26, 2008, 03:04:40 AM »
If it's any comfort, Miyabi, I always assumed there was a pattern to it as well and just didn't take the time to figure it out.
Sign on wall: "We're doing everything we can to get you to the math lab and get you help."
Random girl: "That explains so much about the way my professors have been teaching..."

"Look! I can play Mary had a little lamb on my rape whistle!"

Executor of Chaos' Opinions in the Event of His Absence

Loud_G

• Level 11
  • Drawer of Dragons
    • View Profile
    • George the Dragon
« Reply #59 on: August 26, 2008, 05:55:05 PM »
I'm sure there is a pattern, because in order to write the character believably and without  jarring the reader, there has to be some cohesive method to his particular pattern of speech.

I never thought of it as a dialect or tradespeak so much as the kind of speech you get when a foreigner of any country comes and tries to speak english without much formal training. They will automatically fall back on grammar and composition from their native language even while speaking English. This leads to some very quirky conversations the farther you get from the indo-european language group.
George the Dragon   <---- My webcomic. 

WARNING:
Features a very silly dragon. Hilarity MAY ensue.