Author Topic: Nails, Grails, and Epic Fails  (Read 3491 times)

Comatose

• Level 19
  • Fell Points: 1
  • A Shard of Adonalsium
    • View Profile
Re: Nails, Grails, and Epic Fails
« Reply #15 on: August 26, 2008, 01:57:29 AM »
It's true, they could just be the marks of the hero.  It seems likely that hemalurgy is involved, but it is not for certain.
We know Alendi heard the well pulses, because he says it in his logbook, something about being tired, and all these things are overwhelming him, Rashek's hate, the mist spirit following him, the deepness, the well pulsing in his head.  He just says pulses though, and never compares them to allomancy.  I'm pretty sure it;s safe to say that Alendi has no allomancy, and it was first discovered when Rashek ventured into the cave and found that metal.
"Look, I'm just trying to change the world, okay?  I don't have time for a grudge match with every poser in a parka!"
- Dr. Horrible

"There's always another secret..."
- Kelsier

Miyabi

• Level 45
  • Simple is the concept of love as eternity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 26, 2008, 02:01:12 AM »
But if it wasn't Allomancy then how did he feel the pulses  As I saw it the pulses themselves were Allomantic.
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

Coof

• Level 3
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 26, 2008, 02:06:05 AM »
Why would they need to be Allomantic? Hemalurgy bestowes Allomantic powers, maye that"s enough. Or its always possible that Allomantic powers have nothing to do with feeling the pulses. Maybe its just Ruin, or whoever/whatever's way of communicating with a person to do what they want.

Miyabi

• Level 45
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 26, 2008, 02:07:35 AM »
I guess that could be true, but I'm leaning more towards it being tied to Allomancy.
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

Andrew the Great

• Level 19
  • If that never happened again, it would be too soon
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 26, 2008, 02:36:28 AM »
Hemalurgy does not necessarily bestow allomantic powers. That's a possibility of what it does, but not the only one. Anyway, earlier it was mentioned that Alendi may not have been a hemalurgist. This is true, but it seems very likely.

1 - He has piercings. Piercings in these books tend to relate to hemalurgy

2 - He has fought a lot and apparently won a lot, even against Terris people with their Feruchemy. He's got to have SOMETHING that allows him to win. My guess is hemalurgy.

3 - He hears the well's pulsing, (most likely) without allomancy. Vin also hears it without allomancy. So, my guess is that it's hemalurgy related.

Makes sense.
Sign on wall: "We're doing everything we can to get you to the math lab and get you help."
Random girl: "That explains so much about the way my professors have been teaching..."

"Look! I can play Mary had a little lamb on my rape whistle!"

Executor of Chaos' Opinions in the Event of His Absence

Miyabi

• Level 45
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 26, 2008, 05:53:53 AM »
Yeah.  I never thought about the pulses being tied to Hemalurgy.
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

Reaves

• Level 23
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 26, 2008, 10:28:47 AM »
i dont know...Rashek would have to be pretty stupid to leave a child of Alendi's just lying around. Thats arch-villian mistake number 01; kill your nemesis, then leave his children around to mature and think about revenge. Which, according to this theory, eventually happened...1000 years later.
Quote from: VegasDev
RJF: "AHA! You fell victim to one of the classic blunders! The most famous is never get involved in a land war in Cairhien, but only slightly less well-known is this: never go in against a warder when he is only the distraction! Get him Rand! Buzzzzzzz!

Coof

• Level 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 26, 2008, 01:25:07 PM »
How can you say that Hemalurgy doesn't bestow Allomantic powers? Marsh was only able to burn bronze before he became a Steel Inquisitor and now he can burn tin.
Unless what you mean is that Hemalurgic powers may interact and be the same as Allomantic powers, but that seems unlikely to me as it seems that none of the magic systems seems to link together separately. They can work together if a person has more than one pwer but they don't seem to be interactive on their own. Vin couldn't gain Sazed's power enhanced ring (I don't remember which one it was) when she bruned it.

Miyabi

• Level 45
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 26, 2008, 02:10:09 PM »
Because it's through Hemalurgy that he gets the power.  We aren't sure if it gives you Allomantic powers or something similar that is just a bit different.

i.e. - You can't pierce a Copper Cloud with Allomancy, but you can with Hemalurgy.

(Could a Hemalurgic Copper Cloud keep Vin out?)
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

Coof

• Level 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 26, 2008, 02:51:29 PM »
I don't agree that its because of Hemalurgy that Vin pierces the copper cloud. She is just a lot stronger the any other Mistborn we have seen. She killed a Mistborn with about a year's experience. That was the Mistborn that was after Elend. That Mistborn had Atium.
Kelsier was barely able to disable the Steel Inquisitor to get into TLR centre room. Vin stopped a couple of them to get in. She seems almost able to rival with them in the first book.

She killed Zane who was burning Atium.

Brandon states that TLR gets his pwer from a different source than Vin. I don't think he is just talking about Feruchemy, that would be too obvious. I think Vin is somehow more connected to the mists. I think her ability to pierce copper clouds is her power.

It seems to me that Brandon created the three magic systems to be able to react together in the same world, compliment each other. Hemalurgy has its own power, but it also grants a person Allomantic powers. Steel inquisitors see trace metals and Brandon says that any Allomancer can learn to do the same. This hints at an Allomantic power not a separate Hemalurgic power. that only Hemalurgist's can do.

Comatose

• Level 19
  • A Shard of Adonalsium
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 26, 2008, 04:21:07 PM »
But her earring, which enable her to repel the mists, does suggest hemalurgy.  It also prevents her from burning the mists, as the only time she does is when the Lord Ruler pushes it out of her ear.
I think all the inquisitors have allomancy and hemalurgy.  I think they get allomancy from that metal that Elend ate, and then Hemalurgy does something else, like give them their increaced healing, perhaps some of the spikes enhance natural abilities, speed, strenght, maybe ONE spike enhances allomancy.  Maybe other spikes give the inquisitors their extended liife span.  I think it's something like that, each spike bestowing some sort of ability, which would also explain Alendi's prowess, he probably had enhanced strength or speed or something from his piercings.
I think Vin's ability to pierce copper clouds may be due to hemalurgy, but she also has many other abilities that suggest she is special on her own.  Her quick grasp of allomancy, her extreme subtelty with soothing and rioting, her ability to match kelsier's steel push, even though he should have easily overwhelmedher because he is heavier, and of course, her ability to burn the mists.  The earring is special, but Vin is also special without it.
"Look, I'm just trying to change the world, okay?  I don't have time for a grudge match with every poser in a parka!"
- Dr. Horrible

"There's always another secret..."
- Kelsier