Author Topic: I WANNA!!! . . . .  (Read 8854 times)

Miyabi

• Level 45
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Simple is the concept of love as eternity.
    • View Profile
I WANNA!!! . . . .
« on: August 15, 2008, 05:56:48 AM »
OK, so I'm sure if I took a few hours out of my day to look through TFE and write down and figure it all out I could figure out how to speak in the vernacular that Spook uses.

I think it'd be great if Brandon posted something that explained it, or if someone else has taken the time to figure it out.

I mean, come on, how fun would it be to be chatting with some friends and there is someone eaves dropping so you drop into Eastern Slang?

ha ha.  I guess I'm just weird.  I love doing the same thing with Japanese, sadly, not many of my friends speak Japanese, they feel it's too difficult.  ::)
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

firstRainbowRose

• Level 18
  • So pretty!
    • View Profile
Re: I WANNA!!! . . . .
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2008, 07:34:19 AM »
I'd totally learn it.  I think it'd be a blast to figure it out.
"The custom of royalty in referring to oneself is to naturally employ the royal 'we'.  We are very happy, we are very sad, we are bored and suffer from ennui.  For a royal prince there's no such word as 'me', It's always 'we'.  So rightfully I should be two or three, don't you agree?"

VegasDev

• Level 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2008, 04:33:15 PM »
What's so hard?
1) Move the main verb of the sentence to the beginning.
2) Remove nouns relating to any transitive verbs.
3) Precede the last verb of the sentence with 'the' making it an object noun.
4) Add 'ING' to all remaining verbs in the sentence.
Now you've got all the ones with beards on one side and all the
moustaches on the other.

Miyabi

• Level 45
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2008, 05:29:47 PM »
*Glomps Vegas*

OMG I love you.  I didn't want to take the time to figure it out. ha ha.
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

VegasDev

• Level 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2008, 06:13:43 PM »
Yeah, I have no idea what I was talking about; seemed funny at the time. Brandon might not have had any rhyme or reason, just wrote what sounded the best.
moustaches on the other.

Andrew the Great

• Level 19
  • Fell Points: 0
  • If that never happened again, it would be too soon
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2008, 05:05:39 PM »
Ya know...for making that up completely, the result you get is pretty close. I'm impressed.

And as a side note, it's kind of sad that we're all here learning how to speak the slang dialect of a world that doesn't exist.
Sign on wall: "We're doing everything we can to get you to the math lab and get you help."
Random girl: "That explains so much about the way my professors have been teaching..."

"Look! I can play Mary had a little lamb on my rape whistle!"

Executor of Chaos' Opinions in the Event of His Absence

Reaves

• Level 23
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2008, 05:12:01 PM »
And as a side note, it's kind of sad that we're all here learning how to speak the slang dialect of a world that doesn't exist.

hey hey dont drag me into this  :D
Quote from: VegasDev
RJF: "AHA! You fell victim to one of the classic blunders! The most famous is never get involved in a land war in Cairhien, but only slightly less well-known is this: never go in against a warder when he is only the distraction! Get him Rand! Buzzzzzzz!

Miyabi

• Level 45
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2008, 09:56:39 PM »
Hey Reaves has a picture now!

Yeah it is kinda sad. . . but then as soon as we start talking that way. . . then it isn't fake anymore.
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

Reaves

• Level 23
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2008, 10:40:54 PM »
Hey Reaves has a picture now!
hurray!
Quote from: VegasDev
RJF: "AHA! You fell victim to one of the classic blunders! The most famous is never get involved in a land war in Cairhien, but only slightly less well-known is this: never go in against a warder when he is only the distraction! Get him Rand! Buzzzzzzz!

SarahG

• Level 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2008, 09:15:24 PM »
I'm sorry, but I am NOT buying into this.  Spook's dialect is by far the most annoying thing about Mistborn, because it's completely nonsensical.  Languages do not work that way.  Sanderson has many strong points, but the invention of dialects is NOT one of them.  If he wanted to make up a completely new language, he should have stayed away from words that sounded like they came from English but switched parts of speech.  It might have been more believable if he'd at least started with Polish words and then slaughtered them - at least not many of his English readers know enough Polish to object.  What he did instead is ridiculous and would never work as a "language".  Languages have much more internal logic than that.  Spook's dialect makes me shudder.

OK, rant over.  Thanks for listening.
He ate my horse.

Andrew the Great

• Level 19
  • If that never happened again, it would be too soon
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2008, 09:17:37 PM »
It's not a language. It's a dialect. And I think it's purpose was to be annoying, though not to us as much as to the characters. That necessitated it being a little annoying to us.
Sign on wall: "We're doing everything we can to get you to the math lab and get you help."
Random girl: "That explains so much about the way my professors have been teaching..."

"Look! I can play Mary had a little lamb on my rape whistle!"

Executor of Chaos' Opinions in the Event of His Absence

VegasDev

• Level 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2008, 09:19:14 PM »
I'm sorry, but I am NOT buying into this.  Spook's dialect is by far the most annoying thing about Mistborn, because it's completely nonsensical.  Languages do not work that way.  Sanderson has many strong points, but the invention of dialects is NOT one of them.  If he wanted to make up a completely new language, he should have stayed away from words that sounded like they came from English but switched parts of speech.  It might have been more believable if he'd at least started with Polish words and then slaughtered them - at least not many of his English readers know enough Polish to object.  What he did instead is ridiculous and would never work as a "language".  Languages have much more internal logic than that.  Spook's dialect makes me shudder.

OK, rant over.  Thanks for listening.

who axed you? :evil grin:
moustaches on the other.

SarahG

• Level 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2008, 09:25:16 PM »
It's not a language. It's a dialect. And I think it's purpose was to be annoying, though not to us as much as to the characters. That necessitated it being a little annoying to us.

Well, technically, the term dialect might not be accurate since dialects of a language are supposed to be mutually comprehensible (at least 80%); if they're more different, then they become separate languages.  And in any case, dialects are supposed to have logic too.

I agree that Spook's way of speaking is meant to annoy the other characters, but it theoretically could do so without annoying ME.  :)

And Vegas, no one axed me specifically, but I considered it my duty as the board's linguistic expert, as acknowledged on the Polish thread.   ;)
He ate my horse.

VegasDev

• Level 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2008, 09:34:34 PM »
SarahG, I don't question your linguistic prowess I was merely trying to spice things up, lol. Personally, I don't question the validity of Spook's language when so many factors enter when mixing sociolects with idiolects, especially in a world so different to our own.
moustaches on the other.

Miyabi

• Level 45
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2008, 03:01:48 AM »
What he says makes sense to me. o.0  Like I understood what he said, I just haven't taken the time to dissect it and figure out how to speak it.  Then my understanding might come from the lots of studying languages I have done.  Like I have spent a lot of time looking and learning a little bit of this or that language then learning how languages are put together.
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。