Author Topic: WOT Optioned by Universal  (Read 2518 times)

Parker

• Level 12
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Well, what if there is no tomorrow?
    • View Profile
    • My Website
WOT Optioned by Universal
« on: August 13, 2008, 04:41:22 PM »
The Wheel of Time series has been optioned by Universal to be made into a movie. Of course, this likely won't result in an actual movie (NBC had the rights back in 2000 to make Eye of the World into a miniseries, and that never happened), but it's good publicity for EUOL, at least--it mentions his name in Variety, and that can't be bad. Check out the linkage below.

http://www.variety.com/article/VR1117990464.html?categoryid=13&cs=1

Pygmalion

• Level 5
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
Re: WOT Optioned by Universal
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2008, 05:56:19 PM »
Interesting... And this is just ignorance on my part, but I've never really understood how something gets "optioned" or a studio buys the rights, but then never makes a film. How is that a good investment?  *ponders*
"Vision is the art of seeing the invisible" - Jonathan Swift

Parker

• Level 12
  • Well, what if there is no tomorrow?
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2008, 04:25:29 PM »
Think of it this way. Movie studios are often just silly with money. They've got tons of it, compared with the literary world. And if they see something that they want to think about developing into a project, they want to make sure that they don't put effort into the project, only to have it snatched away from them. So they pay money up front to be able to reserve the right to adapting a work. In their terms, the money is relatively minor (tens of thousands to hundreds of thousands, usually). When you think of the overall budget for the film (hundreds of millions sometimes), that's chump change. In literary terms, though, that's a lot of cash.

CthulhuKefka

• Level 15
    • View Profile
    • My Facebook
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2008, 04:36:01 AM »
Hmmm...interesting.....

The WoT series in a movie format? Is it even possible without horrendously butchering a large chunk of the series? Granted, I haven't really read the entire series, but I do know it is quite a large one.

Miyabi

• Level 45
  • Simple is the concept of love as eternity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2008, 05:39:17 AM »
Hmmm...interesting.....

The WoT series in a movie format? Is it even possible without horrendously butchering a large chunk of the series? Granted, I haven't really read the entire series, but I do know it is quite a large one.
Either way, if it happens someone's making a lot of money.
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

Comfortable Madness

• Level 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2008, 03:44:11 PM »
I just found it interesting that a guy named Mondragon is slated to produce this thing. What are the chances?
“I will never serve you, Father of Lies. In a thousand lives, I never have. I know that. I’m sure of it. Come. It is time to die.” Rand al'Thor

"Mourn if you must. But mourn on the march to Tarmon Gai'don." Logain Ablar

Reaves

• Level 23
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2008, 04:59:07 PM »
well screenwriting alone will take years lol
even if only because people can't decide what to take out.
Quote from: VegasDev
RJF: "AHA! You fell victim to one of the classic blunders! The most famous is never get involved in a land war in Cairhien, but only slightly less well-known is this: never go in against a warder when he is only the distraction! Get him Rand! Buzzzzzzz!