Poll

Plausibility level?

Highly Likely
Moderately Likely
Half and half
Not Likely
No way

Author Topic: HoA compiled. *SPOILER POTENTIAL*****  (Read 7756 times)

Miyabi

• Level 45
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Simple is the concept of love as eternity.
    • View Profile
Re: HoA compiled. *SPOILER POTENTIAL*****
« Reply #30 on: August 07, 2008, 03:30:35 AM »
I'm still not convinced that Kandra are of Preservation, or that the Lord Ruler created them, but if he created them, he most definitely created the Koloss, and the Koloss would also be of Preservation, not ruin. If anything, that supports allomancy being tied to preservation, as it makes sense for the magic system that is able to control them to be tied to the power that created them.
I'm still seeing NO consequential evidence that ties Allomancy to Preservation except that Ruin, as far as we know, can't affect it.  I see much more that attaches it to Feruchemy.
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

Czanos

• Level 7
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 07, 2008, 08:10:27 AM »
Well, there's the fact that the mist spirit, which opposes Ruin, uses Allomancy. A lot.
I came because I heard stories, tales of a lengendary man.
A man who was known as the Lord of the Mists, a man they named Survivor.
A man called Hope.

Miyabi

• Level 45
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 07, 2008, 05:07:18 PM »
Well, there's the fact that the mist spirit, which opposes Ruin, uses Allomancy. A lot.
See my theory on the Mist Spirit in. . . I don't remember which thread off the top of my head. (Ha ha that rhymed.)

The theory is that the person who is connected to the Well, subconsciously uses their magic creating the Mist Spirit to tell them what they should do.  And somehow the Well influences their subconscious mind in order to cause this to happen.

Some support -

1 - At first they mist spirit is just barely there and only the person feeling the pulses of the Well can see it.
  2 - As the person gets closer to the Well, or to finding it, the Spirit gets stronger and more violent, eventually being able to be seen by others.
  3 - Earlier the Spirit seems to only point towards the Well, but later attacks people to make the person use the power of the Well.
  4 - As far as we know, both times we hear of someone getting to the Well, the Spirit disappears afterwards.

Now I realize none of this is concrete and could ALSO support it being of Preservation, but I don't think it is.
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

darxbane

• Level 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 07, 2008, 05:53:01 PM »
Actually the mist spirit was at the well with Vin and Elend, and showed Vin how to save Elend.  The mist spirits increased activity could be related to the strengthening of the well's power.  It could be the guardian of the well.
I wanted to write something profound here, but I couldn't think of anything.

Miyabi

• Level 45
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 07, 2008, 06:29:45 PM »
Actually the mist spirit was at the well with Vin and Elend, and showed Vin how to save Elend.  The mist spirits increased activity could be related to the strengthening of the well's power.  It could be the guardian of the well.
Yes, but the way I'm explaining it is that it's a manifestation of the HoA's own subconscious mind combined with the power of the well.
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

GreenMonsta

• Level 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 07, 2008, 08:41:14 PM »
 Sorry to contradict but I find it difficult to think the Mist Spirit is in any way a "manifestation of the HOA's own subconscious". I might be able to understand the idea I just find it hard to grasp. I mean the Mist Spirit acted in ways to stop the HOA from releasing the power of the well (and in turn Ruin), back in Alendi's time it stabbed one of his friends and again in Vin's time it wanted Vin to take the power and save Elend. How is it the Vins subconscious was attempting to sway her desicion if she wasnt even aware of a reason. She had no previouse reason to think that releasing the power of the WoA was in any way bad so why would her subconscious want her to retain the power? That is unless she was being influenced by Hermology. Also if the Mist Spirit is part of Vin then how can she sense it's use of allomancy. Its not like she can sense her own use of the power (at least not externally) she can only sense her use by the inherent sound they give off.
"No signs of anything that could cause even a slight case of death"

"He's a paraplegic whats he gonna do, bite us?"

Miyabi

• Level 45
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 07, 2008, 08:44:16 PM »
I'm not saying that the Spirit isn't, at least in part from the Well.  It could very well be from the Well, BUT I think it's manifested through the HoA's powers, which would explain the way the Mists react to it.  So it's like it comes from the Well, but uses the HoA to channel a manifestation.
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

Andrew the Great

• Level 19
  • If that never happened again, it would be too soon
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 07, 2008, 10:12:30 PM »
The thing is, miyabi, no one knows enough either way to prove the allomancy/feruchemy - Preservation thing. So basically, we wait for HoA, then we all come here and have a big "I told you so" party.

And I disagree with the mist spirit being tied directly to the hero. I think instead, it is tied to the well, which is more closely related to the hero than anyone else.
Sign on wall: "We're doing everything we can to get you to the math lab and get you help."
Random girl: "That explains so much about the way my professors have been teaching..."

"Look! I can play Mary had a little lamb on my rape whistle!"

Executor of Chaos' Opinions in the Event of His Absence

GreenMonsta

• Level 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 07, 2008, 10:16:18 PM »
I am a big fan of "I told you so" parties. That's one of the reasons that I try to stay impartial to most ideas. That and like Andrew said we lack the knowledge to say one way or the other so its good to stay open about it.

Reaves

• Level 23
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 08, 2008, 12:10:44 AM »
I told you so is one of the most fun things to say to another person after theorizing for months on end. Everyone should experience it at least once in their lifetimes.

As far as the mist spirit goes, i really don't think it could in any way be the unconcious of a Hero. Unless Vin has some serious anger issues about her newlywed husband, that is. Also, the mist spirit tore off the piece of Sazed's page, remember? Vin had no idea he and the other Terriswoman (forget her name) were studying it or any reason to tear off that particular piece of prophecy.
Quote from: VegasDev
RJF: "AHA! You fell victim to one of the classic blunders! The most famous is never get involved in a land war in Cairhien, but only slightly less well-known is this: never go in against a warder when he is only the distraction! Get him Rand! Buzzzzzzz!

Miyabi

• Level 45
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 08, 2008, 04:24:14 AM »
OK, you guys aren't understanding.  I'm NOT saying Vin created, by herself, the Mist Spirit.  I'm saying it is of the Well, but her being connected to the Well, the Well THEN USES her subconscious to create the Mist Spirit.
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

Andrew the Great

• Level 19
  • If that never happened again, it would be too soon
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 08, 2008, 04:58:10 AM »
That makes marginally more sense, but I still disagree.
Sign on wall: "We're doing everything we can to get you to the math lab and get you help."
Random girl: "That explains so much about the way my professors have been teaching..."

"Look! I can play Mary had a little lamb on my rape whistle!"

Executor of Chaos' Opinions in the Event of His Absence

GreenMonsta

• Level 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 08, 2008, 12:52:08 PM »
I understood it just doesn't make much sense. For reasons already posted. I would be more inclined to think that the Spirit is some apparition of Preservation or a guardian of the well than to think the well projected this Spirit through Vin. The WoA obviously has enough power already what reason does it have to use Vin as a middleman?

happyman

• Level 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 08, 2008, 03:58:46 PM »
OK, you guys aren't understanding.  I'm NOT saying Vin created, by herself, the Mist Spirit.  I'm saying it is of the Well, but her being connected to the Well, the Well THEN USES her subconscious to create the Mist Spirit.

The term to use in cases like this is Occam's razor.

You admit that the Mist Spirit is at least partially independent of Vin (otherwise why would it act against her apparent will?).    You admit that it is either from the well itself or from Preservation, at least partly.  Why, then, without further evidence, do you assume some sort of subconscious connection to Vin?  In what way does it mirror Vin's behavior, Vin's attitude, or her existence?  The Spirit appeared well after Vin was born.  It has spent time around her, but given the fact that she was going to use the well to release Ruin (and the spirit probably knew that Ruin was trying to get free through her), we have plenty of justification for it's interest without assuming any further connection.  In short, what facts make this theory necessary that isn't already covered by one of the others?
Nature hates being reified.

GreenMonsta

• Level 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 08, 2008, 04:26:46 PM »
Well put Happy. I agree, what connection to Vin is needed?