Poll

Plausibility level?

Highly Likely
Moderately Likely
Half and half
Not Likely
No way

Author Topic: HoA compiled. *SPOILER POTENTIAL*****  (Read 7746 times)

Andrew the Great

• Level 19
  • Fell Points: 0
  • If that never happened again, it would be too soon
    • View Profile
Re: HoA compiled. *SPOILER POTENTIAL*****
« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2008, 05:16:12 AM »
Yes, it is somewhat stretchy, although it would effectively explain why inquisitors need to rest a lot.
Sign on wall: "We're doing everything we can to get you to the math lab and get you help."
Random girl: "That explains so much about the way my professors have been teaching..."

"Look! I can play Mary had a little lamb on my rape whistle!"

Executor of Chaos' Opinions in the Event of His Absence

Miyabi

• Level 45
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Simple is the concept of love as eternity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2008, 05:30:32 AM »
I totally didn't add that into my thoughts.
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

Reaves

• Level 23
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 05, 2008, 05:03:30 PM »
2 - Feruchemy -   I think that Feruchemy was created by a past claimer of the power from the Well and it was created in order to preserve thing, thus linking it to Preservation.
3 -

very interesting idea. Supported by the fact that Allomancy's appearance is tied with TLR's Ascension. It would also suggest that hemalurgy was created at another time of Ascension, perhaps as Ruin was released in the past. It would closely link the three systems to the well. Perhaps we should start looking for connections between the well and the mists, as Sanderson says all three are related to the mists (i think.)
Quote from: VegasDev
RJF: "AHA! You fell victim to one of the classic blunders! The most famous is never get involved in a land war in Cairhien, but only slightly less well-known is this: never go in against a warder when he is only the distraction! Get him Rand! Buzzzzzzz!

Miyabi

• Level 45
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 05, 2008, 05:11:48 PM »
2 - Feruchemy -   I think that Feruchemy was created by a past claimer of the power from the Well and it was created in order to preserve thing, thus linking it to Preservation.
3 -

very interesting idea. Supported by the fact that Allomancy's appearance is tied with TLR's Ascension. It would also suggest that hemalurgy was created at another time of Ascension, perhaps as Ruin was released in the past. It would closely link the three systems to the well. Perhaps we should start looking for connections between the well and the mists, as Sanderson says all three are related to the mists (i think.)
Yeah.  I've tried to say that Hemalurgy came before the other magic systems, but people disagreed.  I also tried to say that the mists come from the well, that also was shot down. ha ha.
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

Andrew the Great

• Level 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 06, 2008, 12:07:12 AM »
I never said it was wrong... I just said that I disagree, and gave my reasons for believing so. However, we really have no proof for anything, so you can believe whatever the heck you want to about it.
Sign on wall: "We're doing everything we can to get you to the math lab and get you help."
Random girl: "That explains so much about the way my professors have been teaching..."

GreenMonsta

• Level 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 06, 2008, 02:14:21 AM »
Ok. so I have realized that if you havn't been keeping up with posting that it can be a long process to get aclimated with a new thread. After concideralbe reading I think Im on the same page with this thread. I may be a little behind so forgive me. I see alot of potential in some of miyabi's points. That is not to say that some don't have to streach and hope the others streach enouph to be met halfway but thats besides the point.

I for one think that all of the known powers have been around before TLR's ascention. Ruin can clearly control (at least to some degree) Hemalurgy. Preservation has yet to be clearly linked to anything but if we assume that the "Mist spirit" is some form of Preservation than we can assume a link between Preservation and Allomancy due to the "Spirits" ability to use Allomancy. This leaves Feruchemy, in that case I strongly agree with miyabi about it being created before TLR's ascention (maybe derived from the Terris Worldbringers, maybe a past ascention).

Now this could be shot out of the water if you were to say that both Ruin and Preservation aquired the abilities with the known powers somehow during the powers creation. Maybe the powers were created by a past ascention by using part of Ruin and Preservation as a jumping off point. The past person who ascended used part of Ruin to create Hemalurgy and part of Preservation to create Allomancy. I'm shooting in the dark here so I'll break for a while.
"No signs of anything that could cause even a slight case of death"

"He's a paraplegic whats he gonna do, bite us?"

Andrew the Great

• Level 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 06, 2008, 03:32:28 AM »
That's actually an interesting idea. Like Ruin using super hemalurgy and Preservation using super allomancy? And then Ruin can control hemalurgists through it's super hemalurgy, and so theoretically if another hemalurgist were strong enough... All sorts of possibilities open up.

Of course, all of this is mindless speculation, but it's very interesting.

But it makes sense, too. If Ruin and Preservation can't use the magic systems, what is the source of their power? Themselves? I don't know. It's obvious that they're not limited to the magic systems, though. Anyway, I'm tired, so I'm now rambling. I really ought to start sleeping at night...

Miyabi

• Level 45
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 06, 2008, 03:34:43 AM »
I never said it was wrong... I just said that I disagree, and gave my reasons for believing so. However, we really have no proof for anything, so you can believe whatever the heck you want to about it.
That's what I meant.  Sorry.  I just meant that not really many people agreed with my ideas. ha ha!

Green:  I really kinda like that idea, but again I think Preservation would be linked to Feruchemy not Allomancy.
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

Rey

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 06, 2008, 08:54:13 AM »
I wanted to add something to the compiled list. OreSeur mentions that kandra are of preservation. Also in an annotation EUOL says that we will learn more about kandra in the final book... Anyone have any thoughts on what OreSeur ment by saying kandra are of preservation?

darxbane

• Level 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 06, 2008, 03:36:39 PM »
The Kandra believe they will one day rule the world once humanity destroys itself.  It could also be argued that, if the power of the well came from preservation, and TLR used that power to create the Kandra, then Tensoon would be right.  However, that would mean that the Koloss are also of Preservation, and that is hard to believe.
I wanted to write something profound here, but I couldn't think of anything.

Miyabi

• Level 45
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 06, 2008, 04:26:35 PM »
I think it's a perspective here again.  In the way that they reuse what is still around to create life and continue on.  It's kinda like my fruit analogy again, just add like, when your bananas get all brown and you can't eat them, you make banana bread out of them.  So now, even though they WERE useless, they now serve a purpose and can STILL be used.
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

GreenMonsta

• Level 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 06, 2008, 08:26:06 PM »
Ok about the Kandra. Think about Kandra and Kolos. So apparently according to Tensoon (posing as OreSeur) the Kolos and the Kandra are like cousins. The thing about this is the only thing we know that makes them similar is the ability to have a strong Allomancer controll them. This could mean a couple of things. It could mean that both Kolos and Kandra are of Preservation and the Kolos are more like a means to an end. Think Preservation may be about saving things but sometimes you need to be able to destroy things before you can heal them. It could also mean that Kolos are to Ruin as Kandra are to Preservation and that is how they are related in a kind of similar creation sense. This would point to Allomancy being the power not possesed by eith Ruin or Preservation and maybe the Lord Ruler created Allomancy as a way to control both Ruin and Preservation. speculating again and Im not sure it even makes sense. I understand it but that doesnt mean much

Miyabi

• Level 45
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 06, 2008, 11:47:13 PM »
Green I like you, you keep pointing out stuff that supports the theories I have that other people disagree with. :D ha ha.  I mean, like, you think of the stuff I DIDN'T think of to support my theories, and you help to tie them all together!
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

GreenMonsta

• Level 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 07, 2008, 12:38:12 AM »
You know miyabi I do what I can. It turns out that most of the time we have similar ideas and theories, and on occaision we fill in the blanks on each others posts. Maybe you could make me some french oninon soup and we could call it square ;)
« Last Edit: August 07, 2008, 12:49:44 AM by GreenMonsta »

Andrew the Great

• Level 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 07, 2008, 12:46:47 AM »
I'm still not convinced that Kandra are of Preservation, or that the Lord Ruler created them, but if he created them, he most definitely created the Koloss, and the Koloss would also be of Preservation, not ruin. If anything, that supports allomancy being tied to preservation, as it makes sense for the magic system that is able to control them to be tied to the power that created them.