Author Topic: Electrum (Long.. sorry)  (Read 7396 times)

Czanos

• Level 7
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Electrum (Long.. sorry)
« Reply #30 on: August 01, 2008, 05:52:59 PM »
Really though, regardless of whether or not it has to make sense, with the information we have now it does. We know what it does, and we know how the other future-metal we know of, atium, behaves. Combined with the fact that gold and the other past-metal malatium are so similar, it only makes sense that atium and electrum would behave similarly. (Though I still think it would have been better if the push-pull mechanics were reversed, but I think that has something to do with Brandon wanting to introduce gold's power to support malatium and atium's power for storyline, while at the same time making atium a pure metal and not having the past-self seeing metal being something as obvious an alloy as gold and silver. He had to make them both base metals so that it was plausible that the other two temporal metals could have been suppressed for centuries.)
I came because I heard stories, tales of a lengendary man.
A man who was known as the Lord of the Mists, a man they named Survivor.
A man called Hope.

Time and Again

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 01, 2008, 06:20:42 PM »
Well one solid vote to my plausible idea is a good start. For that atleast, I am thankful.

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 01, 2008, 07:45:41 PM »
Extremely minor spoiler for book three:
How electrum works is about as far as you can get from any kind of major plot point in the third book. It just gets mentioned in passing that they figured it out sometime in the past year. ;)
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

Time and Again

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 01, 2008, 08:53:25 PM »
*Sniifff* ...I thought this one had a chance to. Ohwell. This is not my first theroy, and nor will it be my last. Time and again they are proven dispondent, but I'll crack one out before the end.

Out of book plot though, does it still channel any truth?

Miyabi

• Level 45
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Simple is the concept of love as eternity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 01, 2008, 09:06:21 PM »
Probably not.  If it had been important in the way you were hoping it wouldn't have just been a fleeting 'Oh, we figured it out yo.'
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

VegasDev

• Level 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 01, 2008, 09:31:47 PM »
*cough* red herring *cough*  ;)
Now you've got all the ones with beards on one side and all the
moustaches on the other.

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 01, 2008, 09:40:58 PM »
Probably not. If it had been important in the way you were hoping it wouldn't have just been a fleeting 'Oh, we figured it out yo.'
Ha! I wouldn't necessarily say that...I'm just saying that in book 3, a pesky little concern like whether or not you can beat atium is the least of anyone's problems.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

SarahG

• Level 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 01, 2008, 10:13:22 PM »
Probably not. If it had been important in the way you were hoping it wouldn't have just been a fleeting 'Oh, we figured it out yo.'
Ha! I wouldn't necessarily say that...I'm just saying that in book 3, a pesky little concern like whether or not you can beat atium is the least of anyone's problems.

Hmm, are you saying that Allomantic skills cease to be as important?  Or that none of the antagonists are Mistborn?  Or just that there are much bigger problems, problems that Allomantic abilities have no power to solve?
He ate my horse.

Time and Again

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 01, 2008, 10:20:16 PM »
I'd say atium has never been a key point in any book. But it always seems to be a leg in the tripod (figuritevly speaking; there are usually more than three issues).

I didn't think it would be story breaking and ruin the books, but I'd like to know if it was plausiable for my own little fanfiction tales I might come up with later.

VegasDev

• Level 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 01, 2008, 10:26:01 PM »
Hmm, are you saying that Allomantic skills cease to be as important?  Or that none of the antagonists are Mistborn?  Or just that there are much bigger problems, problems that Allomantic abilities have no power to solve?

I doubt he answers unless it's with a red herring, but it appears that she/they will have their hands full with Ruin and its ability to warp reality.
Now you've got all the ones with beards on one side and all the
moustaches on the other.

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 01, 2008, 11:38:29 PM »
I'd say atium has never been a key point in any book.
I also wouldn't say that. Vin's defeat of Zane's atium was a pretty big point in book two, I think.

Besides, Brandon has already publicly mentioned two things dealing with atium that will be revealed in book three--and one of them is hugely major. Neither of them involves electrum, though. Well...the minor one might involve it slightly; I don't remember.

Let's revisit this thread when the book comes out. :)

Czanos

• Level 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 01, 2008, 11:41:11 PM »
It's kind of amusing to look at this in perspective though. What kind of a world are they dealing with when the ability to see into your own future AND defeat a future-seeing metal-shooting ultra-powerful combatant is a "pesky little concern."
I came because I heard stories, tales of a lengendary man.
A man who was known as the Lord of the Mists, a man they named Survivor.
A man called Hope.

Comatose

• Level 19
  • A Shard of Adonalsium
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 03, 2008, 03:56:13 AM »
I skipped all those posts after Ookla's little spoiler, which I did not read, as I am ignoring those things which cause me pain.
Time and Again, the theory of using Electrum against an Atium user was discussed, I believe it's in the atium mistings thread.  Sorry, I have no links.

As for what Vin sees, one guess would be that she sees the person who died so TLR could become a Hemalurgist.  It's a pretty wild guess, but it sounds cool to me.

I'm pretty sure the merchant image in the room was the past self of the inquisitor in the room, meaning each person only has one past self image.
"Look, I'm just trying to change the world, okay?  I don't have time for a grudge match with every poser in a parka!"
- Dr. Horrible

"There's always another secret..."
- Kelsier

Miyabi

• Level 45
  • Simple is the concept of love as eternity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 03, 2008, 04:07:04 AM »
I skipped all those posts after Ookla's little spoiler, which I did not read, as I am ignoring those things which cause me pain.
Time and Again, the theory of using Electrum against an Atium user was discussed, I believe it's in the atium mistings thread.  Sorry, I have no links.

As for what Vin sees, one guess would be that she sees the person who died so TLR could become a Hemalurgist.  It's a pretty wild guess, but it sounds cool to me.

I'm pretty sure the merchant image in the room was the past self of the inquisitor in the room, meaning each person only has one past self image.
Yes, but not everyone had the chances Rashek did. . . he could have continued life after the ascension letting Alendi take it, he could have given up the power, but he took it. . . . whereas he had three paths. . . maybe he does have to past lives.  Where he would have been if he let Alendi go and what what he would have been if he gave up the power. . . .
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

Comatose

• Level 19
  • A Shard of Adonalsium
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 03, 2008, 04:15:25 AM »
If that shadow isn't the inquisitors than how come he doesn't have one?  Everyone Vin can see should have a Malatium shadow.  I thought that the Lord Ruler had two shadows as well at first, but after the reread, it's pretty clear that the other shadow belongs to the inquisitor.  Sorry.
"Look, I'm just trying to change the world, okay?  I don't have time for a grudge match with every poser in a parka!"
- Dr. Horrible

"There's always another secret..."
- Kelsier