Author Topic: My Review : The Dark Knight  (Read 1335 times)

Miyabi

• Level 45
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Simple is the concept of love as eternity.
    • View Profile
My Review : The Dark Knight
« on: July 22, 2008, 03:49:22 PM »
Christian Bale once again does a spectacular job portraying a Batman who is dangerously balancing between doing what is right and giving in to his emotions and doing something rash.  He seamlessly goes from playboy gone corporate worker to a man who will do anything it takes to do what he thinks is right.  However, what we think is right isn't always right.  Does this lead him down a path of darkness?

Michael Cane and Morgan Freeman, Alfred and Fox, brilliantly play supporting rolls.  While they don't always support Bruce's endeavors, they still support him as a man and a hero.  Gary Oldman, Gordan, does really well portraying a character who is struggling to trust anyone throughout the movie while Maggie Gillenhaal, Rachel, desperately searches for love and a stable relationship.

Heath Ledger, the main antagonist, The Joker, is undoubtedly insane in his search to sow chaos on every black of Gotham's streets.  His angrily adorned makeup, covering up scars from an incident we never quite understand,  is a refreshing change from Jack Nicholson's meticulously done version.  The character has been shifted to become a darker jester who still enjoys to laugh, but whose tricks include making a pencil "disappear" into a mans skull and whose jokes include putting lives on the line and making our hero make the classic choice of the girl or the second option.  Truly no past or future performance can compare to Ledger's brilliant one.  R.I.P.

Aaron Eckhart, Harvey Dent, begins his roll as an up and coming politician who is loved by the people of Gotham, as well as a beautiful young lady, Rachel.  He is doing all he can to clean up the streets and make Gotham a better place and soon finds himself loosely working with Batman.  Some of Batman's older fans may be disappointed in the way this character makes a transition in the film, because it doesn't follow the original story, but it is similar and provides for an excellent suspense seen later on into the movie.  After a terrible accident Harvey takes on an old nickname, two-face, becoming a completely different person struggling to define the difference between justice and revenge.  Excellent acting on the part of Aaron Eckhart.

The movie is action packed and suspenseful, not a dull moment.  Throughout the movie you are kept on your toes as the story  makes drastic, unexpected turns.  Gaining new perspectives, some characters gain depth and dynamic, where others become a bit disappointing.  Characters will win and lose, our hero will hold lives in his hands, he'll struggle with what's right and what's 'right' and people will die laughing over some new "jokes".

-I love watching movies and being critical about them, so I decided to take a whack at writing a review since the movie has been out a while and one hasn't been posted.  This is the first review I've ever written so go easy on me. xD-
« Last Edit: July 22, 2008, 09:11:20 PM by miyabi »
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

CthulhuKefka

• Level 15
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
    • My Facebook
Re: My Review : The Dark Knight
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2008, 03:25:52 AM »
I'm gonna have to agree with pretty much everything you said Miyabi.  :)

I've seen TDK six times so far and each time I leave the theater I feel satisfied.

The only thing I can elaborate on is the part in your review that mentioned older Batman fans reacting strongly against the Harvey Dent transformation. I'm one of those rare Batman fans that can acknowledge that sometimes things can be changed around to better suit the context of the movie, so it doesn't bother me as much how it was handled. :)

Anyway, that's just my two copper pieces.

Miyabi

• Level 45
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Simple is the concept of love as eternity.
    • View Profile
Re: My Review : The Dark Knight
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2008, 05:38:04 AM »
Yeah, I did a little revising and actually submitted it to the main part of the site.

If you check Nessa's post here.

It gives you a link to here, which was the actual review and I did elaborate more on the bottom, specifically about the changes, as well as changed my dictation in a few places.
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。