Author Topic: WOT/Moraine's Letter to Thom  (Read 6454 times)

revile

• Level 1
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
Re: WOT/Moraine's Letter to Thom
« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2008, 12:27:07 AM »
ha!  i knew it was something like that..   I can always remember WHAT people say, just not who to.

Andrew the Great

• Level 19
  • If that never happened again, it would be too soon
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 31, 2008, 12:54:41 AM »
The main explanation most people have had for the prevalence of "pillow friends" in the tower is the fact that the girls are worked hard in a very controlled environment. They have a high stress situation, and they use those relationships as stress relief.

And there is good evidence to suggest that Moraine is talking about Thom in the above mentioned quote, particularly in the above mentioned letter. Besides that, it makes more sense than any other names I've heard put forward so far.
Sign on wall: "We're doing everything we can to get you to the math lab and get you help."
Random girl: "That explains so much about the way my professors have been teaching..."

"Look! I can play Mary had a little lamb on my rape whistle!"

Executor of Chaos' Opinions in the Event of His Absence

darxbane

• Level 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 31, 2008, 04:48:37 PM »
Especially since the letter is addressed to Thom.  When I reread EOTW, I noticed some subtle hints, such as the way Moiraine looked at Thom when he flashed his knives at the boatman in that town north of the Two Rivers (can't remember the name).  There are other little hints too.  Also, being in love with your lover's cousin would definitely get you in hot water, especially when she is a Queen and can have you beheaded.  We never actually learn why Morgase wanted Thom executed.  Hmmmmm......I'm sure I am not the first to think of this, but if the chronology is right, it is very interesting.
I wanted to write something profound here, but I couldn't think of anything.

Reaves

• Level 23
  • Fell Points: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 31, 2008, 05:45:14 PM »
i am kind've surprised actually, for some reason i thought it was slightly obvious. At one point Thom is talking to someone about Moiraine, "a fine woman" etc etc, and does not Moiraine adress Thom as "dearest" in her letter? And then does not Mat comment on that?
Quote from: VegasDev
RJF: "AHA! You fell victim to one of the classic blunders! The most famous is never get involved in a land war in Cairhien, but only slightly less well-known is this: never go in against a warder when he is only the distraction! Get him Rand! Buzzzzzzz!

darxbane

• Level 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 31, 2008, 06:23:41 PM »
Exactly.  The letter pretty much shored it up for me.

firstRainbowRose

• Level 18
  • Fell Points: 1
  • So pretty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 31, 2008, 06:54:46 PM »
We never actually learn why Morgase wanted Thom executed.  Hmmmmm......I'm sure I am not the first to think of this, but if the chronology is right, it is very interesting.

Isn't is simply that he left?  I thought it was that he heard his nephew Owen could channel, and he left to try and save him from the white tower.  Morgase heard about it, and... something happened (like, she banned him from leaving, and he told her where to shove herself), and she got pissed and said that he couldn't come back.
"The custom of royalty in referring to oneself is to naturally employ the royal 'we'.  We are very happy, we are very sad, we are bored and suffer from ennui.  For a royal prince there's no such word as 'me', It's always 'we'.  So rightfully I should be two or three, don't you agree?"

darxbane

• Level 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 31, 2008, 07:38:16 PM »
I would have to re-read it, but I do know that she signed a writ for his execution.  Whatever he did, he was running for his life when it was over.  That could have been the story he told, but I highly doubt that would cause Morgase to order his death.  She is quite the hothead, so I guess it's possible.

Comfortable Madness

• Level 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 01, 2008, 05:27:13 PM »
The reason, as far as we know, that Morgase wanted Thom's execution is because of his mouth. Thom delayed from helping Owyn because he was helping Morgase secure Camealyn thus never getting to him before his stilling and death. When he got back Morgase was furious at him for leaving and he called her a tool of the White Tower....
“I will never serve you, Father of Lies. In a thousand lives, I never have. I know that. I’m sure of it. Come. It is time to die.” Rand al'Thor

"Mourn if you must. But mourn on the march to Tarmon Gai'don." Logain Ablar

yakumo fujii

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 22, 2008, 06:14:58 AM »

Ok so now that im done with that ramble. . .  My friend just recently started reading the WOT and he is currently reading Lord of Chaos. He finds it amusing to ask me question about things that he doesnt know yet because he knows i wont ruin it for him. The funny thing is he brought up a question that ive been thinking about for ever. What did Moraine's letter to Thom say? Now dont call me out im a little rusty on the facts but im pretty sure Moraine told Thom that she loved him. Im gonna research it tonight but i want to hear what every one has to say. Its not hard to realize that this is a MB/WARBREAKER forum so lets talk about one of the  biggest books of our time.

Uh, Mat reads the letter in a Knife of Dreams doesn't he?

EDIT: Yes page 260 of KOD.

It starts

" My Dearest Thom,
There are many words I would like to write to you, words from my heart, but I have put this off because I knew that I must, and now there is little time."
« Last Edit: August 22, 2008, 06:39:53 AM by yakumo fujii »