Author Topic: Reen's obsidian  (Read 23923 times)

Miriel

• Level 2
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Reen's obsidian
« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2008, 08:34:19 PM »
I've actually done some flintknapping, so here goes...

Obsidian and glass are pretty much the same, with the exception that with obsidian, you have to deal with a cortex usually (the rough, weathered outer area) and obsidian can have natural imperfections in it (weathering, etc).  I'm not sure, but at least on the covers, the glass knives look like just broken pieces of glass.  These would shatter fairly easily.  If you've gone through the trouble to flintknap an obsidian axe or knife, however, they'd shatter less easily.  The way you'd make the weapon would reinforce the edge and the body as a whole (bifacial flaking).  The edge might get roughed/chipped, but retouching it wouldn't take long, even if you didn't have the skills required to make a knife yourself.

As far as unusual shapes go...the Classic Maya took flintknapping to a very artistic level.  I tried to find some good pictures of obsidian eccentrics, but wasn't very happy with my results.  Often very small, I've seen things over two feet long with the curves and delicacy of doilies.  Here's a link to a picutre, though not as impressive as I would have liked.  :-[  A lot of them are simpler than this, but it gives you an idea.  When you think about how it was made (carefully hitting the obsidian with another rock/pieces of antler), I think it's amazing.  Archaeologists today can't recreate this sort of thing yet, thought they're getting closer.

http://exchanges.state.gov/culprop/elsalvad/fi/0000006d.htm

I don't think Reen's would have looked anything like this, but it gives you an idea of what can be done with obsidian.  We tend to think of obsidian as crude, I think, because in the Western world the technology was abandoned in favor of metal before it ever reached this kind of awe-inspiring sophistication.

Miyabi

• Level 45
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Simple is the concept of love as eternity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2008, 10:42:58 PM »
Then why do Vin's glass daggers shatter (twice?) in the first book, but her obsidian ones never do, is this just because she never drops them??
That would be my guess.
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2008, 10:47:33 PM »
The images of the weapons on the covers can't be taken as canonical (except for that sword on the book 2 hardcover maybe).
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

Miyabi

• Level 45
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 20, 2008, 11:15:49 PM »
The images of the weapons on the covers can't be taken as canonical (except for that sword on the book 2 hardcover maybe).
So the daggers are actually sai?
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 21, 2008, 05:23:45 AM »
cannot be taken as canonical.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

Miyabi

• Level 45
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 21, 2008, 05:36:04 PM »
cannot be taken as canonical.
xD

Sorry, my bad.  I was like. . . asleep when I read that.
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

GreenMonsta

• Level 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 21, 2008, 08:59:49 PM »
some times its fummy how thread topics can alter during the time of a thread. How things like the significance of "Reens Obsidian" can turn into a well informed conversation on variouse obsidian facts. not that it bothers me, i acctually find most of those inpromptu tidbits interesting. The reality is the obsidian was mention along with the earring as items from Vins past. Both of which once belonged to a past family member. now no matter how many times the earring is mentioned it doesnt seem to have any underlying importance besides being a last ditch jumping or shooting anchor, so i dont really follow the idea of a huge importance with the obsidian. i understant the thought that it might mean something but i would dought it has any real significane in the story line except maybe reminding Vin of Reen at some important time. also glass has the ability to be formed into a fairly soild item that has the capability to withstand slicing and stabbing just as long as the bones are avoides during either motion the glass dagger could be fairly effective.
"No signs of anything that could cause even a slight case of death"

"He's a paraplegic whats he gonna do, bite us?"

VegasDev

• Level 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 21, 2008, 09:30:26 PM »
now no matter how many times the earring is mentioned it doesnt seem to have any underlying importance besides being a last ditch jumping or shooting anchor, so i dont really follow the idea of a huge importance with the obsidian.

So in your opinion, the countless posts regarding the earring are for naught?
Now you've got all the ones with beards on one side and all the
moustaches on the other.

GreenMonsta

• Level 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 21, 2008, 10:12:18 PM »
please dont take it the wrong way. i dont think posting opinions and ideas about certain aspects of the books are ever for naught. i only beleive that i should express my own opinion while at the same time attemping to stay unbiased. its not that i believe either the earring or the obsidian have no relevance, its more that i can argue either way. i think that both items have the potential to be important but having the potential to be important doesnt make the items important. leaving these items so odscure allows countless ideas to form about their relevance, leaving us (the reader) open to interpritation until something concrete is actually founded. this is an aspect in branons writing i really enjoy. had he for instance talked about the obsidian or whatever is carved on it as much as the earring people would almost instantly see an underlying importance but because he doesnt it makes us feel like there sould be an importance that is only being hinted at.

VegasDev

• Level 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 21, 2008, 10:46:19 PM »
It seemed to me that you were saying despite the fact that the earring was mentioned frequently in the book and that there are plausible theories in abundance, that it actually held no real significance and therefore neither did the obsidian. I was merely trying to ascertain where you stood on the issue.
moustaches on the other.

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 21, 2008, 10:51:39 PM »
Red herrings are another tool in Brandon's box.

VegasDev

• Level 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 21, 2008, 10:56:40 PM »

He doesn't need them though, that's what the forum is for, lol.
moustaches on the other.

GreenMonsta

• Level 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 21, 2008, 11:18:42 PM »
i know thats what you were doing i just didnt want it seen in the wrong light. the beauty of opinions is that the are forever alterable. i could read a post that has a great point and on the spot change my idea about the relevance of anything in the books. i just find aruguing subjects like these so entertaining that its hard to pass up questioning something even when i might beleive in it. i think in a past post i expressed that i dont know the items significance but i beleive there to be significance. i only argue both points sometime to play "devils advocate"

VegasDev

• Level 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 22, 2008, 04:23:04 PM »
Don't get me wrong, I wasn't trying to make anything out of it, I was just trying to understand your correlative argument.
moustaches on the other.

SarahG

• Level 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 22, 2008, 07:31:43 PM »

Red herrings are annoying.  And smelly when you pickle them.
He ate my horse.