Author Topic: Reen's obsidian  (Read 23929 times)

SarahG

• Level 13
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
Reen's obsidian
« on: July 17, 2008, 08:10:02 PM »
I just noticed this detail, MB1 p.46:
That left only the small box that contained her personal effects: a pebble from each city she'd visited, the earring Reen said Vin's mother had given her, and a bit of obsidian the size of a large coin.  It was chipped into an irregular pattern - Reen had carried it as some kind of good luck charm.  It was the only thing he'd left behind when he'd snuck away from the crew half a year before. ... She gripped the bit of obsidian in her hand and pocketed the pebbles.  The earring she put in her ear.

Is this obsidian good-luck charm an insignificant detail?  Or does it tell us something about Reen?  Could it somehow have protected him against the discovery of the Inquisitors (he left it behind the day he was captured)?  The detail in which Sanderson describes it hints that it might mean something, but the fact that he never mentions it again (as far as I know) makes that less likely.  Insane theories, anyone?  Or is it an indication of insanity even to search for meaning in a detail this small?
He ate my horse.

Comatose

• Level 19
  • Fell Points: 1
  • A Shard of Adonalsium
    • View Profile
Re: Reen's obsidian
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2008, 08:39:38 PM »
Last time I read that bit of the book, I wondered about it as well, not the obsidian in particular, but all her possessions, but drawing focus to the obsidian show's it in a new light?
We know obsidian is used to make more durable non metal weapons for mistborn, and is in the inquisitors axes, perhaps it has some other properties in hemalurgy, maybe the inquisitors carrying obsidian weapons was part of which held Ruin off.  Perhaps another gift from their mother?  Who was this woman?
Just some random thoughts on the obsidian!
"Look, I'm just trying to change the world, okay?  I don't have time for a grudge match with every poser in a parka!"
- Dr. Horrible

"There's always another secret..."
- Kelsier

Reaves

• Level 23
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2008, 08:40:42 PM »
the thing i wonder about is what irregular patterns it was chipped into...
Quote from: VegasDev
RJF: "AHA! You fell victim to one of the classic blunders! The most famous is never get involved in a land war in Cairhien, but only slightly less well-known is this: never go in against a warder when he is only the distraction! Get him Rand! Buzzzzzzz!

Comatose

• Level 19
  • A Shard of Adonalsium
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2008, 08:45:22 PM »
Yes, you're right.
Vin also says Reen always just picked random times to move on didn't she?  What if Reen uses the obsidian to know when the inquisitors are coming for him, and then moves on before they get there?  Maybe it can sense inquisitors some how, or maybe it has some future seeing ability, and Vin's mom used it to predict Vin would become a Queen?
This is intriguing indeed, and perhaps it was a mist pattern?
"Look, I'm just trying to change the world, okay?  I don't have time for a grudge match with every poser in a parka!"
- Dr. Horrible

- Kelsier

GreenMonsta

• Level 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2008, 06:23:37 PM »
I would think its right to assume that Reen moved at random intervals due to the Steel Ministry getting to close. I would find it difficult however to believe the obsidian some how aided him in avoiding them or that it informed him of there presence. The thing is we already know that the Steel Ministry wasnt full of super spys, i mean if Camon's crew could hide from them then theres no reason Reen couldnt, and as far as we know until Vin comes along there was no reason for the ministry to be perticularly interested in him. Now i understand that there is alot about Reen we dont know such as the reason the steel ministry would be interested in him but i do how ever think you hit on something with the obsidian. is may not be an item of power but it could abssolutely be one of significance. maybe that piece of obsidian had something to do with Vins obligator father? or maybe it had been fashined as an indication of. . .  i dont know the significane but i can feel that its probably important. my bad on my BUSHY imput
"No signs of anything that could cause even a slight case of death"

"He's a paraplegic whats he gonna do, bite us?"

happyman

• Level 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2008, 07:59:16 PM »
I would think its right to assume that Reen moved at random intervals due to the Steel Ministry getting to close.
This is almost certainly true.

I would find it difficult however to believe the obsidian some how aided him in avoiding them or that it informed him of there presence. The thing is we already know that the Steel Ministry wasnt full of super spys, i mean if Camon's crew could hide from them then theres no reason Reen couldnt, and as far as we know until Vin comes along there was no reason for the ministry to be perticularly interested in him.
Especially because all magic systems that we have seen seem to have something to do with metals.  Metals and (somehow) the mists have been clearly outlined as the driving element behind all the magic in this world.  It doesn't seem like EUOL to break that rule just to drive a perfectly manageable plot point.

Now i understand that there is alot about Reen we dont know such as the reason the steel ministry would be interested in him
They weren't interested in him.  They were interested in Vin.  Vin was the center of their ploy to gain control of the ministry by proving Lord Tevidan's corruption, which they succeeded at at the end of MB1.  They tried to find Reen because Reen was with Vin or knew where Vin was.

but i do how ever think you hit on something with the obsidian. is may not be an item of power but it could abssolutely be one of significance. maybe that piece of obsidian had something to do with Vins obligator father? or maybe it had been fashined as an indication of. . .  i dont know the significane but i can feel that its probably important. my bad on my BUSHY imput
It may be significant, but it seems unlikely to be magical.  Unless we find any further hints (or, in fact, ever see it mentioned again) it may just be an indicator of the kind of person Reen was.
Nature hates being reified.

Reaves

• Level 23
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2008, 12:50:13 AM »
i definitely think that the obsidian has some significance. Obsidian already has a place in the book as a weapon against Allomancers, if it really is just a rock why not any other kind? And what "strange designs" are carved on it? The only designs we know of represent metals, and at the time Vin would have no idea of these symbols.
RJF: "AHA! You fell victim to one of the classic blunders! The most famous is never get involved in a land war in Cairhien, but only slightly less well-known is this: never go in against a warder when he is only the distraction! Get him Rand! Buzzzzzzz!

Qarlin

• Level 8
  • The idiotic cock-eyed flum-dummery!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2008, 12:54:32 AM »
Obsidian makes a great non-metal weapon because it chips into a very sharp blade.

GreenMonsta

• Level 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2008, 04:51:01 PM »
Valid point obsidian becomes like broken glass when chipped making a very crude but good blade. the idea that brandon would make an allusion to such a basic piece of weaponry and that alone is its impotance is kinda weak. i would rather think that IF the obsidian is of any impotance its not because of its use as a weapon. unless vin gets into a bind and somehow uses it as a last resort weapon. there are unlimited possabilities and not that i agree that the obsidian is of great import i think it means something..
"No signs of anything that could cause even a slight case of death"

"He's a paraplegic whats he gonna do, bite us?"

Comatose

• Level 19
  • A Shard of Adonalsium
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2008, 05:43:27 PM »
Vin uses Obisidian daggers thoughout the second book, instead of her more fragile glass ones.
Perhaps the symbols are a hidden message of sorts, and Reen carved it onto obsidian, because it was something that Allomancers couldn't affect.
I have a question, Ruin can't affect things written is steel, but could he affect things carved in stone or obsidian?
- Dr. Horrible

- Kelsier

Reaves

• Level 23
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2008, 11:57:48 PM »
i am definitely not saying i think its significant because its a weapon. right now its just....a rock. I am saying obsidian already has a place in the books as a weapon, so why not use any other kind of rock to represent what kind of person Reen was? Its supposed to stand out.

Miyabi

• Level 45
  • Simple is the concept of love as eternity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2008, 05:26:08 AM »
Vin uses Obisidian daggers thoughout the second book, instead of her more fragile glass ones.
Perhaps the symbols are a hidden message of sorts, and Reen carved it onto obsidian, because it was something that Allomancers couldn't affect.
I have a question, Ruin can't affect things written is steel, but could he affect things carved in stone or obsidian?
Actually obsidian is more fragile than glass.

I think it could, I mean it can change words written in ink, or the rubbings.  So I would think it possible.  Also we have the fact that he said ANYTHING not written in STEEL cant' be trusted.
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

Hero of Ages

• Level 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2008, 07:21:00 AM »
From Wilipedia: "Obsidian is a naturally occurring glass formed as an extrusive igneous rock."  Also "Obsidian is used in cardiac surgery, as well-crafted obsidian blades have a cutting edge many times sharper than high-quality steel surgical scalpels, with the edge of the blade being only about 3 nanometres wide [4]. Even the sharpest metal knife has a jagged, irregular blade when viewed under a strong enough microscope. When examined under an electron microscope an obsidian blade is still smooth and even."

Being a natual glass it probably has similar strength/fragility to regular glass.
I must not fear;
Fear is the mind killer;
I will face my fear;
I will let it pass through me;
When the fear is gone, there will be nothing;
Only I will remain.
-Paul Muad'dib Atreides-

Anticipation of death is worse than death itself.
-Me-

Reaves

• Level 23
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2008, 12:55:42 PM »
very interesting, thank you. I had no idea it was used in modern medicine

Comatose

• Level 19
  • A Shard of Adonalsium
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2008, 05:28:43 PM »
Then why do Vin's glass daggers shatter (twice?) in the first book, but her obsidian ones never do, is this just because she never drops them??
- Dr. Horrible

- Kelsier