Author Topic: Sympathetic towards....the Lord Ruler?*Spoilers*  (Read 8121 times)

Andrew the Great

• Level 19
  • Fell Points: 0
  • If that never happened again, it would be too soon
    • View Profile
Re: Sympathetic towards....the Lord Ruler?*Spoilers*
« Reply #45 on: July 12, 2008, 03:52:16 AM »
TLR did create the kandra, otherwise why do they call him father?

Why does an adopted child call their adopted parents their mother and father? Quite simply, they're mislead.
they sincerely believe it. The Lord Ruler could easily pull something like that off, just brainwashing the kandra over a thousand years. I just want to point out that our only sources on the origins of kandra are popular belief and the kandra themselves, both of which were STRONGLY influenced by the Lord Ruler.

I think that probably Ruin's influence has more do to with how close the Well is to being full. As it approaches the end of it's millennial cycle, Ruin gains more power to enact upon the world. He begins to be able to whisper in Hemalurgist's minds, and when the Well is almost full, take control of their bodies. However, when the Lord Ruler was alive and in power, I think he had a much larger hold on the Inquisitor's minds than Ruin did, and Ruin would have had to be very subtle in his limited manipulations of them.

My personal theory here has always been that it has to do with how much hemalurgical metal is in the body. Because inquisitors have so many spikes, Ruin is able to control them much more fully than he is Vin, who only has one small earring. It could also have to do with the well, but that doesn't really explain the inconsistency between hemalurgists as well.
Sign on wall: "We're doing everything we can to get you to the math lab and get you help."
Random girl: "That explains so much about the way my professors have been teaching..."

"Look! I can play Mary had a little lamb on my rape whistle!"

Executor of Chaos' Opinions in the Event of His Absence

JCHancey

• Level 8
  • Formerly known as Jakobus
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 12, 2008, 05:05:39 AM »
TLR did create the kandra, otherwise why do they call him father?

Why does an adopted child call their adopted parents their mother and father? Quite simply, they're mislead.
they sincerely believe it. The Lord Ruler could easily pull something like that off, just brainwashing the kandra over a thousand years. I just want to point out that our only sources on the origins of kandra are popular belief and the kandra themselves, both of which were STRONGLY influenced by the Lord Ruler.

I think that probably Ruin's influence has more do to with how close the Well is to being full. As it approaches the end of it's millennial cycle, Ruin gains more power to enact upon the world. He begins to be able to whisper in Hemalurgist's minds, and when the Well is almost full, take control of their bodies. However, when the Lord Ruler was alive and in power, I think he had a much larger hold on the Inquisitor's minds than Ruin did, and Ruin would have had to be very subtle in his limited manipulations of them.

My personal theory here has always been that it has to do with how much hemalurgical metal is in the body. Because inquisitors have so many spikes, Ruin is able to control them much more fully than he is Vin, who only has one small earring. It could also have to do with the well, but that doesn't really explain the inconsistency between hemalurgists as well.

The kandra live along time no? Unless TLR was completely controlling them with allomancy I see no reason they would have been brainwashed.

I agree with the second point thought, as it is Ruin more or less completely controls the Inquisitors.
RJF: "I spit upon the ground where you no longer ever existed."

Miyabi

• Level 45
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Simple is the concept of love as eternity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 12, 2008, 05:23:46 AM »
Yes hey live a long time, but not THAT long.  Even so, brainwash isn't that hard to accomplish.
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

JCHancey

• Level 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 12, 2008, 10:12:29 AM »
I still don't think he completely brainwashed them. He took the power for himself and probably created allomancy, koloss, and kandra. I'm going to take what the book says for fact this time.

Comatose

• Level 19
  • A Shard of Adonalsium
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 14, 2008, 02:02:42 AM »
About the Lord Ruler planning everything out, and knowing what was going on with the prophecy and the well...
I think it was just spurr of the moment, I think Kwaan only instructed him to kill Alendi.  From what we read, Kwaan doesn't want the power to be taken, or released.  And in the book, when Sazed and Twyndil are discussing, it comes up that from the writings they have dicserned that Rashel was a man of wild temperment whose motivations are based on envy and hate, and ALendi wasa good an had a worthy temperment.  We know this is not changed by Ruin because it shows up in the bumps and on the plates.
Kwaan also only says he had instructed Rashek to lead ALendi astray, he says nothing of telling Rashek about his suspicions, by guess, is Rashek wouldn't get it, and think Kwaan is crazy like everyone else.  I think Rashek didn't need a reason, he just really wanted to kill Alendi, and after that... Perhaps the Mist SPirit got him to take the power at the well: that's what it tried to to with Vin.
"Look, I'm just trying to change the world, okay?  I don't have time for a grudge match with every poser in a parka!"
- Dr. Horrible

"There's always another secret..."
- Kelsier

JCHancey

• Level 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: July 14, 2008, 03:33:37 AM »
He knew where Alendi was headed, and when Kwaan told him to lead him astray or killed him he could have inferred that his uncle wanted him to take the well for himself.

Comatose

• Level 19
  • A Shard of Adonalsium
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 14, 2008, 05:44:03 AM »
I still think, Rashek just really really really wanted to kill Alendi, and the well thing was more of an afterthought, maybe it wasn't the mist spirit, maybe PReservation inside him took over, maybe Preservation was in Alendi, and RAshek killed him in a way that brought him into himself, and when he took the power, Preservation showed him how to preserve the world, and Ruin saw that Preservation was in a feruchemist!
Sorry, I keep going on about this, I must be really tired, really excited, or really insane, or all three!
"Look, I'm just trying to change the world, okay?  I don't have time for a grudge match with every poser in a parka!"
- Dr. Horrible

"There's always another secret..."
- Kelsier