Author Topic: Hero of Ages Prologue  (Read 17156 times)

Obi

• Level 2
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Hero of Ages Prologue
« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2008, 08:29:58 PM »
This only makes waiting harder >.<;
So, of course, I loved it!  ^__^ 

I don't think a feruchemist is required to make Inquisitors.  It would just be... bad planning I guess.  The Lord Ruler spent a great deal of effort to (unsuccessfully) breed feruchemy out of the Terrismen, so it wouldn't make sense to require it for his most powerful servants.  It would make them completely irreplaceable (if his plans worked).  And since they have a weakness and can be killed (even if it is really hard and unlikely), he'd eventually run out.

Andrew the Great

• Level 19
  • If that never happened again, it would be too soon
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 10, 2008, 08:34:14 PM »
My thoughts exactly. As stated earlier, I think it's just not very fun to perform the actual ceremony. Unless you're Ruin.

Wow! What a great action packed way to start the Hero of Ages. I am really pleased that TenSoon's story is continued and hope he gets many more chapters in this book as he's probably my favourite character in the book.
Don't get me wrong, I loved TenSoon, he's my favorite character, but WHERE exactly does it say he will be in the third book?

I was kind of wondering that myself. That and the fact that Elend is more powerful than Vin. That makes sense, but at the same time, I don't recall reading it anywhere...
Sign on wall: "We're doing everything we can to get you to the math lab and get you help."
Random girl: "That explains so much about the way my professors have been teaching..."

"Look! I can play Mary had a little lamb on my rape whistle!"

Executor of Chaos' Opinions in the Event of His Absence

JCHancey

• Level 8
  • Formerly known as Jakobus
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 10, 2008, 09:44:21 PM »
If it doesn't require a feruchemist to make an SI would using them make a super SI?! I think that a feruchemist is needed, as it seems they have some feruchemy attributes.
RJF: "I spit upon the ground where you no longer ever existed."

Phaz

• Level 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 10, 2008, 09:46:43 PM »
I'm not sure where the Tensoon/Elend stuff came from as well, however, I can verify that Tensoon will have his own PoV chapters in the 3rd book.  Brandon mentioned this at a book signing in Denver last year.  He also said it would be a "War Epic" and mentioned a few other things that I think are now common knowledge (such as it taking place a year after the second one).

Miyabi

• Level 45
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Simple is the concept of love as eternity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 10, 2008, 09:51:24 PM »
If it doesn't require a feruchemist to make an SI would using them make a super SI?! I think that a feruchemist is needed, as it seems they have some feruchemy attributes.
BUT!  If it took Feruchemists to make normal ones wouldn't TLR wanted to have tried to make MORE Feruchemists, not less?

Also, I kinda agree with your first point.  I believe that the first idea sounds good.  I mean, maybe TLR was AFRAID that Feruchemists would become SI and that would make them have similar abilities as he does.
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

Andrew the Great

• Level 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 10, 2008, 10:05:32 PM »

I personally believe that the sacrifice does need to meet certain character qualities to be used as a sacrifice, but I don't think they have to be a feruchemist (or a mistborn/misting). Here's my main line of reasoning against that particular theory.

So say that it works as you say, and they get their feruchemy attributes from a feruchemist. It would follow, then, that they receive their allomancy attributes from allomancers, right? So say you capture 10 mistings (or mistborn) and a feruchemist for your sacrifices. This should theoretically give you all of the power that the standard mistborn has, plus feruchemial ability, correct?

Now for the problem. Inquisitors are known as very strong allomancers. VERY strong. And we can infer from information provided that strength in allomancy is determined by the purity of the bloodline. This is also what determines whether one is a mistborn or a misting. So if you are getting your power from mistings, you should theoretically only have as much power as they do, as you obtained the power from the same bloodline they did. Mistings are more skilled with metals they work with, yes, but not stronger. Even if you used mistborn, it wouldn't work. Today's mistborn are not as strong as inquisitors either. We don't know how feruchemy works as far as genetics goes, but it doesn't work for allomancy.

Another question, assuming that I'm wrong, would a feruchemist give one feruchemial power or all of them? 

And I don't think that using someone with stronger feruchemial or allomantic abilities would increase your power, because I don't agree with this particular theory. If you do agree with it, then I would say the stronger your sacrifices, the stronger you will be. Which raises an interesting question.

What happens if the sacrifice used to create an inquisitor is already a hemalurgist?
Sign on wall: "We're doing everything we can to get you to the math lab and get you help."
Random girl: "That explains so much about the way my professors have been teaching..."

JCHancey

• Level 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 10, 2008, 10:17:07 PM »
The only ability we see from feruchemy in SI's is the rapid healing, otherwise it appears they have allomantic abilities.

Miyabi

• Level 45
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 10, 2008, 10:26:21 PM »
The only ability we see from feruchemy in SI's is the rapid healing, otherwise it appears they have allomantic abilities.
Perhaps this is because they are all made from Allomancers, and that the ones that ARE made from Feruchemists gain those types of abilities instead. (I.E. TLR)  And that's why he wanted to get rid of Feruchemists.
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

JCHancey

• Level 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 10, 2008, 10:32:57 PM »
The magic systems are all separate but closely related, that's what Brandon said right? Makes sense that Hemalurgy is made with a combination of the 2 but uses the magic differently. 1 feruchemist for the rapid healing, only attribute we've seen from them so far, and 10 mistings OR that magic metal for the other powers

Reaves

• Level 23
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 10, 2008, 11:43:45 PM »
these are all great ideas but somehow i get the idea we are all WAAY off. We are missing that one vital piece that puts the rest of the puzzle in perspective... ???
Quote from: VegasDev
RJF: "AHA! You fell victim to one of the classic blunders! The most famous is never get involved in a land war in Cairhien, but only slightly less well-known is this: never go in against a warder when he is only the distraction! Get him Rand! Buzzzzzzz!

JCHancey

• Level 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 11, 2008, 12:36:35 AM »
We need hero of ages!!! oct. 20 can't come soon enough

Andrew the Great

• Level 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 11, 2008, 01:58:55 AM »
the 14th, actually. See this amazon page. Brandon said the 14th at a signing too.

JCHancey

• Level 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 11, 2008, 02:20:10 AM »
Sick nasty! have to change my countdown now... lol

Miyabi

• Level 45
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 11, 2008, 02:39:23 AM »
Sick nasty! have to change my countdown now... lol
"Sick nasty?"  ROFL!
« Last Edit: July 11, 2008, 02:43:29 AM by miyabi »
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

JCHancey

• Level 8
    • View Profile