Author Topic: Vin's Mom  (Read 12617 times)

holt

• Level 2
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Vin's Mom
« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2008, 03:00:37 PM »

I'm beginning to think that Hemalurgy is NOT genetic, and there must be a sacrifice and a piercing that punches through you and then into another Hemalurgist.

I believe that this is wrong.  In MB2, the way the book was written made it sound like when Marsh became an Inquisitor they had to sacrifice somebody else (the body that Vin and Kel found).  I think that the person on top is a sacrifce for the person on the bottom to become an Inquisitor, or at the least to gain Hemalurgy.

Reaves

• Level 23
  • Fell Points: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 10, 2008, 03:11:20 PM »
yeah i dont think the Inquisitors would want to make someone more powerful than they are as a keeper/inquisitor would have many of the same abilities as TLR.
Quote from: VegasDev
RJF: "AHA! You fell victim to one of the classic blunders! The most famous is never get involved in a land war in Cairhien, but only slightly less well-known is this: never go in against a warder when he is only the distraction! Get him Rand! Buzzzzzzz!

Czanos

• Level 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 10, 2008, 05:09:38 PM »
I think that at this point in the series, creating a Feruchemist/Mistborn/Hemalurgist Inquisitor would be a good goal for the Steel Ministry, as they are all controlled by Ruin and it would just mean another hugely powerful asset to their side of the struggle. (Though I have a different idea on just how they would make said Inquisitor, but that's for the Hemalurgy thread.)
I came because I heard stories, tales of a lengendary man.
A man who was known as the Lord of the Mists, a man they named Survivor.
A man called Hope.

Miyabi

• Level 45
  • Simple is the concept of love as eternity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 10, 2008, 05:52:55 PM »

I'm beginning to think that Hemalurgy is NOT genetic, and there must be a sacrifice and a piercing that punches through you and then into another Hemalurgist.

I believe that this is wrong.  In MB2, the way the book was written made it sound like when Marsh became an Inquisitor they had to sacrifice somebody else (the body that Vin and Kel found).  I think that the person on top is a sacrifce for the person on the bottom to become an Inquisitor, or at the least to gain Hemalurgy.
But that wouldn't explain how Vin became a Hemalurgist. . . I don't remember the earing going through her sister.
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

Czanos

• Level 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 10, 2008, 06:25:24 PM »
I believe the books just said Vin's sister was brutally murdered by her mom, but I could be wrong. (And that leaves it open to interpretation on whether or not Vin's sister was stabbed with the earring.)

Another thing here that fits in with my theory of Hemalurgy, is that Vin never remembers Snapping. Perhaps Vin was never a Mistborn herself, (Or maybe a misting,) and her sister was one. Then during the process of sacrificing Vin's sister to give Vin Hemalurgy, she obtained Allomancy as well.

Of course, it could also happen as Kelsier and Vin assume that she just Snapped in one of the many instances of her childhood, and the piercing and blood sacrifice came from Vin's mother. (As the earring used to be worn in her ear, and would pierce it and come into contact with her blood.) This would mean that a Hemalurgic sacrifice would not always have to die, merely be run through with some metal. It also plays off of the whole ear/hearing pulses thing, but that could just be because the earring is in Vin's ear.

A man called Hope.

Miyabi

• Level 45
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 10, 2008, 06:31:44 PM »
I believe the books just said Vin's sister was brutally murdered by her mom, but I could be wrong. (And that leaves it open to interpretation on whether or not Vin's sister was stabbed with the earring.)

Another thing here that fits in with my theory of Hemalurgy, is that Vin never remembers Snapping. Perhaps Vin was never a Mistborn herself, (Or maybe a misting,) and her sister was one. Then during the process of sacrificing Vin's sister to give Vin Hemalurgy, she obtained Allomancy as well.

Of course, it could also happen as Kelsier and Vin assume that she just Snapped in one of the many instances of her childhood, and the piercing and blood sacrifice came from Vin's mother. (As the earring used to be worn in her ear, and would pierce it and come into contact with her blood.) This would mean that a Hemalurgic sacrifice would not always have to die, merely be run through with some metal. It also plays off of the whole ear/hearing pulses thing, but that could just be because the earring is in Vin's ear.
We've discussed the thought of Hemalurgy giving Allomancy before in the Hemalurgy thread, but the thing being, Brandon said they are independent of each other.

We've also discussed your second point.  And we have come to a general consensus that it is because her earing is made of Bronze, not because it went through her ear.
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

Czanos

• Level 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 10, 2008, 06:45:40 PM »
Read my post on the bottom of page 21 in the Comprehensive Hemalurgy Thread. I am well aware of the discussion's about Hemalurgy "giving" Allomancy, and I believe that gaining Allomancy from your sacrifice would just be an added perk if the sacrifice happened to have Allomantic blood which seeped into you.

It's almost like the Lord Ruler burning his Feruchemical attributes through Allomancy. He got his special powers because he Allomantically burned a special source of metal. In this case, Vin obtained the abilities of a Mistborn by Hemalurgically using a special source of blood. By tapping into her sister's Allomantic blood in her body via Hemalurgy, she gains access to the Mistborn abilities. It would explain why Inquisitors can use all the different metals, because they have a wide variety of misting/Mistborn sacrifices to use when impaling themselves for Hemalurgy.

So basically, gaining the Allomantic (or Feruchemical?) abilities through Hemalurgy is just a perk in addition to gaining Hemalurgy, and it depends on who's blood you have flowing through you.

Almost forgot, about the Bronze/ear issue, it's true we came to a general consensus, but that proves very little. It could go both ways, but I have to agree it's probably the bronze doing it. (Though then why would the prologue's bronze spike go through the heart? Maybe all piercings have to go through the heart. Of course that would void the organ/power deal, which I liked a little.)
« Last Edit: July 10, 2008, 06:51:04 PM by Czanos »
A man called Hope.

Miyabi

• Level 45
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 10, 2008, 06:51:58 PM »
This is off topic.  We should move this to Hemalurgy, BUT I'm not buying into this idea.  I mean, think about, they flat TELL us she has noble blood and that's where she got it from.  Kell's theory is most likely correct.

All in all I think it is very plausible that Vin's mom had attained Hemalurgy at one point or another.
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

Czanos

• Level 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 10, 2008, 07:02:34 PM »
Then we shall continue this in the Comprehensive Hemalurgy thread. (Though I'm willing to admit Vin probably got her Mistborn abilities through the normal method, there's more to this theory than that.)

As for Vin's mom being a Hemalurgist, I agree it's quite possible, but it makes me ask the question of just who can make a Hemalurgist. Has it been confirmed that the one preforming the process of sacrificing has to be a Hemalurgist? If so, how were the first Hemalurgists made? I find it more plausible that anyone could do it, with the right know-how and tools. (Though it does seem kind of odd that a non-Hemalurgist could make a Hemalurgist through Hemalurgy, but that could be explained in the same way that a non-Allomancer could become an Allomancer through Allomantically burning the metal Elend ate. However they explain that.)

Of course, Vin's mom having Hemalurgy would explain the voices in her head, so it's probably true.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2008, 07:04:39 PM by Czanos »
A man called Hope.

Miyabi

• Level 45
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 10, 2008, 07:06:48 PM »
And as the survivor said, "There's always another secret."

xP
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

Andrew the Great

• Level 19
  • If that never happened again, it would be too soon
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 10, 2008, 08:06:30 PM »
(Though then why would the prologue's bronze spike go through the heart? Maybe all piercings have to go through the heart. Of course that would void the organ/power deal, which I liked a little.)

This is what I was initially getting at when I made my comments. The piercings all have to go through the heart, though the other works as well.

Side note, the prologue spike is brass, not bronze. That would explain it.
Sign on wall: "We're doing everything we can to get you to the math lab and get you help."
Random girl: "That explains so much about the way my professors have been teaching..."

"Look! I can play Mary had a little lamb on my rape whistle!"

Executor of Chaos' Opinions in the Event of His Absence

JCHancey

• Level 8
  • Formerly known as Jakobus
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 10, 2008, 10:20:11 PM »
Vin's mom was an inquisitor totally controlled by Ruin.
RJF: "I spit upon the ground where you no longer ever existed."

Miyabi

• Level 45
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 10, 2008, 10:22:20 PM »
Vin's mom was an inquisitor totally controlled by Ruin.
I think you mean Hemalurgist. ;)
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

JCHancey

• Level 8
  • Formerly known as Jakobus
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 10, 2008, 10:24:11 PM »
Nope. Steel Inquisitor full on  ;D she had to go crazy, and what better way than being run through by 11 spikes and having ruin's voice going full blast in her head!?
RJF: "I spit upon the ground where you no longer ever existed."

Miyabi

• Level 45
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 10, 2008, 10:31:38 PM »
Nope. Steel Inquisitor full on  ;D she had to go crazy, and what better way than being run through by 11 spikes and having ruin's voice going full blast in her head!?
o.O

Uhm.  You do that then.
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。