Author Topic: AvSB - The Found Lense  (Read 2643 times)

firstRainbowRose

• Level 18
  • Fell Points: 1
  • So pretty!
    • View Profile
AvSB - The Found Lense
« on: October 30, 2008, 07:55:55 AM »
Okay, so I was just glancing through AvSBs, and saw the part where Al tries the lense he finds in the cript of Al the first, and it doesn't do anything, and wanted to get some thoughts as to what others thought it did.

My personal thoughts are that it either sepresses any talent, or else just the breaking talent.  (I'm leaning more towards the latter).  So while it may not seem to have done anything when he tried it, the truth was it actually did, it just wasn't noticable.  That would also make since with how adament Al-I was about how bad the breaking talent really is.
"The custom of royalty in referring to oneself is to naturally employ the royal 'we'.  We are very happy, we are very sad, we are bored and suffer from ennui.  For a royal prince there's no such word as 'me', It's always 'we'.  So rightfully I should be two or three, don't you agree?"

CthulhuKefka

• Level 15
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
    • My Facebook
Re: AvSB - The Found Lense
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2008, 11:20:48 AM »
Having just finished AvSB at work last night (what can I say, boring job in the middle of the night = perfect reading times  ;)), I must say this series is awesome!

Now that that's out of the way, in regards to the found Lense, I'm leaning towards agreeing with you verst, but only because there simply isn't enough information yet on it.  :) It makes sense that it might have something to do with Breaking, having been on Al I's coffin and all, but who knows, maybe it really just does nothing?

Oh, and I don't know if it was just an Easter egg or what, but in AvsEL, I totally cheered when Quenten started speaking in Spook slang.

firstRainbowRose

• Level 18
  • So pretty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2008, 06:47:05 PM »
I'm assuming that was on purpose.  I don't remember where I saw it, but somewhere someone (My brain is saying Ook) said that there's a reference to at least one of his other books in each one.  And I'm gussing that would be the connection since it doesn't make sense to have Hoid in there.
"The custom of royalty in referring to oneself is to naturally employ the royal 'we'.  We are very happy, we are very sad, we are bored and suffer from ennui.  For a royal prince there's no such word as 'me', It's always 'we'.  So rightfully I should be two or three, don't you agree?"

CthulhuKefka

• Level 15
    • View Profile
    • My Facebook
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2008, 08:31:22 PM »
I dunno "Hoid" seems to just pop up randomly.  Although the Al series seems to take place in a more traditional "Earth" setting, as opposed to a Scadriel. But who knows, maybe it is connected in another way, only time will tell I guess.  :)

Relient A

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2008, 10:52:40 PM »
I also loved the Sppok-talk. I actually laughed out loud, and my coworker, who I got to read Mistborn, pretty much thought I was crazy.

I have no idea what it does... but I think sepressing his powers isn't the answer. It doesn't seem to fit with the theme of every other lens in the series.
The following Statement is True.
The Previous statement is False.
(bythe way, that's a self-reliant paradox)

Iahawki99

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2008, 12:41:52 AM »
I'm sorry but what book is AvSB exactly? I don't post very often and I don't mean to come off as ignorant, I'm just unfamiliar w/ the book you are referring to. This thread has made me curious since I am searching for a good book to read after finishing MB3.

Thank you,

Relient A

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2008, 01:06:14 AM »
Alcatraz versus The Scrivener's Bones. Which is Book two, the first being Alcatraz versus The Evil Librarians.
The following Statement is True.
The Previous statement is False.
(bythe way, that's a self-reliant paradox)

Iahawki99

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2008, 10:04:12 PM »
Thank you for the information. I will be sure to check them out. 

CthulhuKefka

• Level 15
    • View Profile
    • My Facebook
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2008, 01:33:31 AM »
They are excellent books. Actually I'm probably in the minority, but I enjoyed the Al series a little more than the Mistborn series.  :o Not saying Mistborn was bad, far from it, it is one of the best fantasy series I've ever read, but it was just something about Al that I liked a little more. /shrug

Andrew the Great

• Level 19
  • If that never happened again, it would be too soon
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2008, 05:07:54 AM »
I just love the total randomness. I don't say I like them more than mistborn, but they rank right up there.
Sign on wall: "We're doing everything we can to get you to the math lab and get you help."
Random girl: "That explains so much about the way my professors have been teaching..."

"Look! I can play Mary had a little lamb on my rape whistle!"

Executor of Chaos' Opinions in the Event of His Absence

firstRainbowRose

• Level 18
  • So pretty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2008, 08:27:28 AM »
Actually, I have to agree somewhat on the better thing.  I had to force myself to re-read the mb series while I was rereading all of his books (Actually, it took me about two months to get around to reading it.)  I mean, they're fantastic books, and the ideas and characters and theology is absolutely astounding, but they're so heavy you have to take time and be in the right mindset.  The Al books are great because you can breeze through them in an hour or two and just have fun with them.  So they're great, but in different ways.

readerMom

• Level 8
    • View Profile
    • Books, mostly
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2008, 08:42:45 PM »
One of the things I love about Alcatraz is the first person narration. My oldest son has Asperger's Syndrome, so we read novels to teach him about social conventions and situations.  He hates that.  But with Alcatraz he enjoys the story, and the humor, and we can ask him about the narrator's snarky comments to see if he understands those parts. It's a very enjoyable way to teach him.