Author Topic: review: WANTED  (Read 5093 times)

Nessa

• Administrator
  • Level 32
  • Fell Points: 5
  • Giving life to demon spawn since 1999
    • View Profile
"The difference between the almost right word and the right word is really a large matter--'tis the difference between the lightning-bug and the lightning."  -  Mark Twain

Check out my book reviews at http://elitistbookreviews.blogspot.com/

Hoeya

• Level 1
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
Re: review: WANTED
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2008, 04:45:32 PM »
That's harsh.

But it was about what I expected. The commercials made me wonder why I would ever find this even mildly entertaining. 300, while overhyped, actually had some reasoning behind the brutality.

Was it better than Snakes on a Plane? ;)

Patrick Gibbs

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2008, 01:32:24 AM »
Was it better than Snakes on a Plane? ;)

In all honesty, no. "Snakes on a Plane" was at least aware of how stupid it was. In it's own way, it was campy dumb fun (still, an awful movie, of course, but guilty pleasure dumb fun precisely because it was so bad) but "Wanted" just isn't fun.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2008, 02:21:42 AM by Patrick Gibbs »

Tink

• Level 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2008, 05:39:39 PM »
That was a very well-written review--one I would expect to read in a publication (though they might have to cut for length). I really enjoyed reading it. I wasn't planning on seeing the movie anyway, but it's nice to know I won't be missing anything.

Patrick Gibbs

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2008, 02:56:30 AM »
That was a very well-written review--one I would expect to read in a publication (though they might have to cut for length). I really enjoyed reading it. I wasn't planning on seeing the movie anyway, but it's nice to know I won't be missing anything.

Thank you. You made my day.

Obi

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2008, 09:05:33 PM »
I considered seeing this movie when I heard McAvoy was in it... but I really don't want to put myself through something that bad. 
Maybe you could just replace the movie with a read through of your review?  I'm sure only a few people would be disappointed.   ;)   It at least was well written.

Skar

• Level 54
  • Fell Points: 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2008, 09:56:08 PM »
First I've got to say that I thoroughly enjoyed the review as well.

However, I enjoyed the film a ton more than Patrick.  Everything he said about unbelievability and so forth is dead on, it just didn't bother me near as much as it did him.  As for the acting, well, I didn't think it sucked THAT bad and I totally missed Freeman mugging the camera. (I may have been scrabbling for the last of the popcorn at that very moment, I don't know.)

Personally, I'd have given it a 3, maybe a 3.5.
"Skar is the kind of bird who, when you try to kill him with a stone, uses it, and the other bird, to take vengeance on you in a swirling melee of death."

-Fellfrosch

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2008, 12:16:55 AM »
Stars or clocks?
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net

Patrick Gibbs

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2008, 01:29:22 AM »
I totally missed Freeman mugging the camera. (I may have been scrabbling for the last of the popcorn at that very moment, I don't know.)

It was Freeman's last shot in the movie.

Patrick Gibbs

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2008, 02:51:21 AM »
As for the acting, well, I didn't think it sucked THAT bad.

Some of the acting was not bad. In fact, some of it was good. McAvoy was very good, Krestschmann was very good (I didn't mention him much in my review for reasons that I'm sure Skar knows, having seen the film now), Jolie was adequate, though boring,  and Freeman was very weak. Those last two are usually really good in everything, and that was big deal to me. And the rest of the cast was pretty bad, in particular David O'Hara as Wesley's father in the opening sequence. O'Hara gave very fine  performances in "Braveheart" and "The Departed," and seeing him reduced to a one note snarling jackal made me ill.

In the end, I think Skar and more or less agree about the movie on most levels. I think we both feel that the deciding factor is simply whether or not you had any fun with it - I didn't, clearly he did. That's why, in the end, no review is in infallible.

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2008, 08:43:07 PM »
Is there supposed to be an image with this article on the front page? I just see a question mark.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

Skar

• Level 54
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2008, 11:53:10 PM »
"Skar is the kind of bird who, when you try to kill him with a stone, uses it, and the other bird, to take vengeance on you in a swirling melee of death."

-Fellfrosch

Skar

• Level 54
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2008, 11:54:51 PM »
I totally missed Freeman mugging the camera. (I may have been scrabbling for the last of the popcorn at that very moment, I don't know.)

It was Freeman's last shot in the movie.

Oh, yeah.  I see what you're talking about.  I gave that one a pass though because by that point in the film they were into what I can only call a stylized epilogue where pretty  much everyone was talking to the camera.  You're right though, it's all about what you bring into the theatre.

-Fellfrosch

Nessa

• Administrator
  • Level 32
  • Fell Points: 5
  • Giving life to demon spawn since 1999
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2008, 08:26:29 PM »
Is there supposed to be an image with this article on the front page? I just see a question mark.

Ug. Sometimes the picture link from IMDB doesn't work. I'll have to download the pic to the TWG site.
"The difference between the almost right word and the right word is really a large matter--'tis the difference between the lightning-bug and the lightning."  -  Mark Twain

Check out my book reviews at http://elitistbookreviews.blogspot.com/