Author Topic: Ashfalls  (Read 22025 times)

Chaos

• Administrator
  • Level 36
  • Fell Points: 3
  • The Original Hero of Ages
    • View Profile
    • Eric Lake
Re: Ashfalls
« Reply #120 on: June 17, 2008, 01:00:09 AM »
Really, I don't know what we would do without him. Though, on the other hand, he does get a kick out of making "false" posts: the biggest one I can remember is that he and Brandon were talking about the movie deal and how great Centrifugal storyboards were going--saying it was Centrifugal instead of Alcatraz.
www.17thshard.com - The Official Brandon Sanderson Fansite.

Oh SNAP, I'm an Allomancer.

Comatose

• Level 19
  • Fell Points: 1
  • A Shard of Adonalsium
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: June 17, 2008, 07:47:13 PM »
Rashek also moved thew well, but is that separate from teh creating of the ashmounts, maybe the moving of the area around the well created teh ashmounts, and how much alnd did he move, there still is part of Terris there.

Oi, I think I konw what Ookla is talking about, Terris used to be a land of green fertility, and now it is all frozen tundra.  Did Rashek have a reason for this, I wonder...
"Look, I'm just trying to change the world, okay?  I don't have time for a grudge match with every poser in a parka!"
- Dr. Horrible

"There's always another secret..."
- Kelsier

Andrew the Great

• Level 19
  • Fell Points: 0
  • If that never happened again, it would be too soon
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: June 17, 2008, 08:56:14 PM »
Rashek also moved thew well, but is that separate from teh creating of the ashmounts, maybe the moving of the area around the well created teh ashmounts, and how much alnd did he move, there still is part of Terris there.

Oi, I think I konw what Ookla is talking about, Terris used to be a land of green fertility, and now it is all frozen tundra.  Did Rashek have a reason for this, I wonder...

Rashek didn't necessarily move the well. It's entirely possible that instead of moving the well, he just recreated the landscape of everything to such an extent that where the well was before the ascension was nothing like where the well was after the ascension. I'm more inclined to believe this way. The Well is a (for lack of a better phrasing) supernatural object that really seems to be more of a magic/mythology thing than an actual physical object. I would personally say that the well can't be moved. I have no evidence to support this, but I prefer it to the Rashek moved the well theory.
Sign on wall: "We're doing everything we can to get you to the math lab and get you help."
Random girl: "That explains so much about the way my professors have been teaching..."

"Look! I can play Mary had a little lamb on my rape whistle!"

Executor of Chaos' Opinions in the Event of His Absence

SarahG

• Level 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: June 17, 2008, 08:57:48 PM »

It's not frozen tundra, it's a depressingly bleak city.  As I understand it, TLR didn't move the well itself; he just rearranged the landscape so that what used to be Terris became Luthadel, and another region to the north got called Terris instead.  Am I wrong?
He ate my horse.

Andrew the Great

• Level 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: June 17, 2008, 09:02:26 PM »
I agree with you. I think that the area around Luthadel would have been the Terris mountains, and that much of the world might have remained in its fertile green state except for the ashmounts. Which leads right back in to the main question asked on this thread so far. Were the Ashmounts created intentionally or not? Why or why not? And I'm still trying to figure out Ookla's post a little while back.
Sign on wall: "We're doing everything we can to get you to the math lab and get you help."
Random girl: "That explains so much about the way my professors have been teaching..."

Comatose

• Level 19
  • Fell Points: 1
  • A Shard of Adonalsium
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: June 18, 2008, 08:17:54 PM »
But the mountain that is the historical location of the well is still IN what is terris today, it said on the map, I was under the impression he just moved the well and the surrounding area.
"Look, I'm just trying to change the world, okay?  I don't have time for a grudge match with every poser in a parka!"
- Dr. Horrible

"There's always another secret..."
- Kelsier

Andrew the Great

• Level 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: June 19, 2008, 02:28:55 AM »
Unless he just picked a random mountain and decided to call it that.

Chaos

• Administrator
  • Level 36
  • Fell Points: 3
  • The Original Hero of Ages
    • View Profile
    • Eric Lake
« Reply #127 on: June 19, 2008, 06:45:59 AM »
Sazed just picked a random mountain. He had no idea where the Well was, if it even existed.

And Andrew, I am a firm believer that the Ashmounts were created for a reason. The ash, more of all, is what sets the Mistborn world apart from other fantasy landscapes. I'd much prefer this was for an ultimate design, rather than "because it looked cool".
www.17thshard.com - The Official Brandon Sanderson Fansite.

Oh SNAP, I'm an Allomancer.