Poll

What is your favorite Brandon Sanderson book or series?

Mistborn
20 (64.5%)
Elantris
5 (16.1%)
Alcatraz
1 (3.2%)
Warbreaker
3 (9.7%)
Other (unpublished)
2 (6.5%)

Total Members Voted: 31

Author Topic: Favorite Sanderson Book/Series  (Read 4420 times)

SarahG

• Level 13
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
Favorite Sanderson Book/Series
« on: June 05, 2008, 06:05:50 PM »
Please vote only if you've read at least two of these options.
He ate my horse.

VegasDev

• Level 10
  • Fell Points: 1
    • View Profile
Re: Favorite Sanderson Book/Series
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2008, 09:34:26 PM »
I can't put my finger on why, but for some reason Scribbler was my favorite book. Not by a large margin, because I love them all, but it just has something that pushes it over the top in my opinion.

Edit: That means I voted for Other, lol.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2008, 09:36:00 PM by VegasDev »
Now you've got all the ones with beards on one side and all the
moustaches on the other.

Chaos

• Administrator
  • Level 36
  • Fell Points: 3
  • The Original Hero of Ages
    • View Profile
    • Eric Lake
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2008, 11:57:45 PM »
Mistborn, hands down. And by that, I mean the original one. I love the series, but I really did not like Well of Ascension compared with Final Empire. I just have this thing for super god villains, and the Lord Ruler fit the bill quite nicely. Compared with that kind of thing, Well of Ascension did nothing for my love of super god villains. Straff's domineering, sure, and Cett's enjoyable to read. However, I've never liked Zane, and none of these are... well, super gods.

Then there was the fact that not a whole lot was "explained", I guess. Focused on too much politics and warfare, not on the Deepness (ever since Final Empire, I loved the mythology with the Lord Ruler, with the Deepness and the Well) and the Well of Ascension.

I figure I'll get a great fix on super god villains with Hero of Ages, with Ruin, along with tons of explanations about mythology. Still, though, Final Empire was awesome, in every way.
www.17thshard.com - The Official Brandon Sanderson Fansite.

Oh SNAP, I'm an Allomancer.

Hero of Ages

• Level 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2008, 06:22:19 AM »
I would have to sayMB but only by a slight margin over Warbreaker.  Once Warbreaker is finished and all edited and stuff, it may surpass MB as my fav.  (Spelling and grammatical errors really get my goat.  A few are almost unavoidable but Warbreaker has tons.  And yes I realize it isn't totally finished.)
I must not fear;
Fear is the mind killer;
I will face my fear;
I will let it pass through me;
When the fear is gone, there will be nothing;
Only I will remain.
-Paul Muad'dib Atreides-

Anticipation of death is worse than death itself.
-Me-

Shrain

• Level 34
  • Gargoyles have all the fun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2008, 06:43:58 AM »
... (Spelling and grammatical errors really get my goat.  ....)
Wait, you have a goat!? Do they really try to eat everything like the storybooks say? Like tin cans and shoes and all that stuff? I'm guessing your goat likes to snack on pages of manuscripts with atrocious spelling and dismal grammar, right? Mmmm, tasty.

(Note: It is 2am and I have to work 9 hours tomorrow. And I sure wish I could feel sleepy. Oh, sandman, wherefore art thou?)

Lord Ruler and Lady Protractor were off on vacation, thus the angles running amok.
--Spriggan

"The movie of my life must be really low-budget."
--Harry Dresden in DEAD BEAT

Hero of Ages

• Level 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2008, 07:17:22 AM »
Wait, you have a goat!?

Yes, yes I do.  But I spell it GTO and its name is Pontiac.

Just kidding, I only wish I had a GTO.
I must not fear;
Fear is the mind killer;
I will face my fear;
I will let it pass through me;
When the fear is gone, there will be nothing;
Only I will remain.
-Paul Muad'dib Atreides-

Anticipation of death is worse than death itself.
-Me-

Reaves

• Level 23
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2008, 02:08:59 AM »
lol i wish i had a car...period.   :'(
Quote from: VegasDev
RJF: "AHA! You fell victim to one of the classic blunders! The most famous is never get involved in a land war in Cairhien, but only slightly less well-known is this: never go in against a warder when he is only the distraction! Get him Rand! Buzzzzzzz!

Rane

• Level 3
    • View Profile
    • Livejournal
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2008, 03:01:14 AM »
(...Oh, sandman, wherefore art thou?)
Wherefore means why.

I'd probably have to say that Warbreaker, as far as I've gotten (I just finished chapter 46), barely beats Mistborn.  On the topic of Mistborn, I have to agree with Chaos.  The Final Empire is better than Well of Ascenscion, but WoA is stil pretty good.  In Warbreaker, I have to say I love the sense that there's always something I'm not understanding about some characters, like Denth, and it's harder to pick out than the relationship between Eragon and Murtagh in Paolini's Inheritance (which I figured out a month before Eldest), and I'm still left wondering about a lot of other things.  Now, as much as I would love to stick around and discuss the works of one of the most amazing authors of our time, Microsoft Word is calling, and I find it extremely hard to resist.

Shrain

• Level 34
  • Gargoyles have all the fun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2008, 05:14:44 AM »
(...Oh, sandman, wherefore art thou?)
Wherefore means why.
LOL. I knew that didn't sound right. But, geez, gimme a break. It was 2am....
Lord Ruler and Lady Protractor were off on vacation, thus the angles running amok.
--Spriggan

"The movie of my life must be really low-budget."
--Harry Dresden in DEAD BEAT

Qarlin

• Level 8
  • The idiotic cock-eyed flum-dummery!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2008, 07:25:06 AM »
Alcatraz. I think it's just my love for comedy. I really like all the books. Really. But Alcatraz is the one I tell people about the most, so I guess if I had to pick just one for a fav, that would be it.

Shi

• Level 5
    • View Profile
    • My Deviantart page
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2008, 08:57:16 AM »
Yeah, I have to say Mistborn, too. Though, there's a special place in ym heart for Elantris. It came to me when there seemed to be nothing but mediocrity at the library.

SarahG

• Level 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2008, 07:06:51 PM »
I liked Elantris the best, but I can't explain why.  Maybe it's just that the setting is more cheerful.  Mistborn is a close second, Warbreaker a more distant third.  I haven't read Alcatraz yet.
He ate my horse.

Comfortable Madness

• Level 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2008, 08:25:38 PM »
I had to go with Warbreaker on this. I loved how the magic worked and Lightsong was a really neat character.

Vasher+NIghtblood= Greatness
“I will never serve you, Father of Lies. In a thousand lives, I never have. I know that. I’m sure of it. Come. It is time to die.” Rand al'Thor

"Mourn if you must. But mourn on the march to Tarmon Gai'don." Logain Ablar

SarahG

• Level 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2008, 09:15:42 PM »
I didn't care for Lightsong so much, and Vivenna kind of annoyed me, but I did love Nightblood, and the Siri/Susebron parts were cool too.  Maybe the reason I didn't like Warbreaker as much was because I fit the stereotype of the responsible, perfectionist, judgmental big sister and I didn't like what became of Vivenna's ideals.  I felt like her whole plot-line might as well have been a personal lecture directed at me, and no one enjoys those.
He ate my horse.

achren99

• Level 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2008, 10:10:44 PM »
I loved Dragonsteel as I constantly mention, but it's been-- 7 years since I've read it, so I don't really know if it's my favorite.  It might be, but I didn't want to vote for "other" (seems boring to me), so I voted for Warbreaker.  I love all of his books, but that one really had a cool world/magic system.  The character of Lightsong was brilliant. 

Vivenna was a bit boring for me, but I wanted to like her (I liked Siri better even though I'm probably more like Vivenna.)  Maybe she'll have a more interesting part in the book for me in the final version. :)