Author Topic: Brandon's new paperback releases  (Read 7764 times)

Chaos

• Administrator
  • Level 36
  • Fell Points: 3
  • The Original Hero of Ages
    • View Profile
    • Eric Lake
Re: Brandon's new paperback releases
« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2008, 06:02:10 AM »
For all you people who love to theorize about Mistborn 3, the new Final Empire paperback has a preview chapter. I shall discuss it in the Hemalurgy thread...
www.17thshard.com - The Official Brandon Sanderson Fansite.

Oh SNAP, I'm an Allomancer.

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 13, 2008, 06:09:32 AM »
Hurrrrm, previewing book 3 in the back of book 1? Is it spoiler-free for book 2? @_@
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

Chaos

• Administrator
  • Level 36
  • Fell Points: 3
  • The Original Hero of Ages
    • View Profile
    • Eric Lake
« Reply #17 on: June 13, 2008, 06:35:34 AM »
It appears so. Spook is the main character for it, so not too much of... Vin's exploits are revealed. There are mists in the daytime referenced as well as koloss and Emperor Venture... but nothing of the key twist at the end of MB2.

I can only presume the logic behind this thinking (since the Well of Ascension doesn't have the Hero of Ages preview, but a preview to a non-Brandon book) is because of the rebate you can get from this edition for MB3.
www.17thshard.com - The Official Brandon Sanderson Fansite.

Oh SNAP, I'm an Allomancer.

SarahG

• Level 13
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 16, 2008, 05:47:07 PM »
Anybody know who decides what (if any) preview chapter gets included at the end of a book?  I assume it's mostly someone in the publishing house, but does the author or his agent also get a say?
He ate my horse.

Phaz

• Level 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 16, 2008, 10:21:11 PM »
I got my copies from amazon but haven't checked through them yet.

Does anyone know if the text is at all different (ie errors corrected) in either book?

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 16, 2008, 10:51:42 PM »
There should be at least a couple errors that were corrected in the MB2 paperback (namely the part where Vin asks Clubs to burn Bronze), but the MB1 paperback probably matches the later printings of the old-cover-version, which had some corrections made.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

Bookstore Guy

• Level 21
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 17, 2008, 03:29:57 PM »
Not sure if people are still having trouble finding copies of these books, but if you are in the Salt Lake City area, the Borders across from the Fashion Place Mall has on the the displays...at least I think it is one of the displays.  I gotta say, I expected a little more out of Borders than what I saw...actually, I didn't.  I should be happy they pulled their collective heads out of the sand to do something at all. 

Anyways, the Borders had quite a few paperback copies of both volumes.  The were morons and placed the display facing away from the door entrance, behind their customer service desk, and the Thriller section.  What can I say, intelligence was never that manager's strong point.  I was gonna take a picture, but I didn't consider it picture worthy.

Ookla - sent you a PM - gimme a shout.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2008, 03:36:04 PM by Not Bookstore Guy Anymore »
Check out our blog, Elitist Book Reviews at:
http://elitistbookreviews.blogspot.com/

Shrain

• Level 34
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Gargoyles have all the fun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 17, 2008, 04:25:12 PM »
I got my copies of the new MB1 and MB2 paperbacks last week. Yay! No more Ugly Vin.  :D I'll be re-reading these again now that I don't have to lug around a big hardcover book.
Lord Ruler and Lady Protractor were off on vacation, thus the angles running amok.
--Spriggan

"The movie of my life must be really low-budget."
--Harry Dresden in DEAD BEAT

Comatose

• Level 19
  • A Shard of Adonalsium
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 17, 2008, 08:04:16 PM »
I need those sample chapters!  Does anyone know if you can get them online anywhere, I already have the hardcovers, and I won't be in a book store for about a month!
"Look, I'm just trying to change the world, okay?  I don't have time for a grudge match with every poser in a parka!"
- Dr. Horrible

"There's always another secret..."
- Kelsier

Andrew the Great

• Level 19
  • If that never happened again, it would be too soon
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 17, 2008, 08:38:43 PM »
I feel your pain coma. My Barnes and Noble has the WoA paperback, but they didn't have any MB1 paperbacks when I went, so I have yet to read anything from them either. 
Sign on wall: "We're doing everything we can to get you to the math lab and get you help."
Random girl: "That explains so much about the way my professors have been teaching..."

"Look! I can play Mary had a little lamb on my rape whistle!"

Executor of Chaos' Opinions in the Event of His Absence

Phaz

• Level 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 15, 2008, 09:41:08 PM »
Just a quick update.  It looks like me going in time and time again asking for Brandon's Books might of had some effect, as the local Borders (which never has stocked him well, if at all) finally saw the error in their ways and today had a pretty decent amount of shelf space dedicated to Brandon's books.   They had at least as many copies as some of the really popular authors (Martin, Rothfuss, etc) if not more.

I thought I'd show them that they made the right decision by picking up more copies of the MB paperbacks and a copy of Elantris.

Comatose

• Level 19
  • A Shard of Adonalsium
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 16, 2008, 01:25:10 AM »
Mcnally's didn't have them yet, and I have no barnes and noble or anything like that, Mcnally's is huge, but they just have a few copies of the old paperback! (like 2), although, this is where I first set eyes on Elantris, so I still love the store, and they have most of the books I want.
I just really really want those sample chapters!!!!!
I can't go without them!
"Look, I'm just trying to change the world, okay?  I don't have time for a grudge match with every poser in a parka!"
- Dr. Horrible

"There's always another secret..."
- Kelsier

Miyabi

• Level 45
  • Simple is the concept of love as eternity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 17, 2008, 04:48:45 AM »
Mcnally's didn't have them yet, and I have no barnes and noble or anything like that, Mcnally's is huge, but they just have a few copies of the old paperback! (like 2), although, this is where I first set eyes on Elantris, so I still love the store, and they have most of the books I want.
I just really really want those sample chapters!!!!!
I can't go without them!
IF Brandon hasn't posted them on the site within the next week or two and I have some spare change to buy the new copy, MAYBE I will type them up. ;)
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

firstRainbowRose

• Level 18
  • So pretty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 17, 2008, 06:54:27 AM »
What sample chapters?  I've got all the versions available, and the only sample I've found is in the old version the prologue for WoA, and in the new version of FE there's the prologue for HoA which Brandon just posted... I could be wrong, but I think we've got everything that's avaiable at the time.  Unless I'm the confused one (which I could be)
"The custom of royalty in referring to oneself is to naturally employ the royal 'we'.  We are very happy, we are very sad, we are bored and suffer from ennui.  For a royal prince there's no such word as 'me', It's always 'we'.  So rightfully I should be two or three, don't you agree?"

Andrew the Great

• Level 19
  • If that never happened again, it would be too soon
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 17, 2008, 05:18:34 PM »
The prologue for hero of ages and the sample chapters in the back of final empire are not the same. They are both VERY interesting, however.
Sign on wall: "We're doing everything we can to get you to the math lab and get you help."
Random girl: "That explains so much about the way my professors have been teaching..."

"Look! I can play Mary had a little lamb on my rape whistle!"

Executor of Chaos' Opinions in the Event of His Absence