Author Topic: Voices  (Read 2111 times)

Reaves

• Level 23
  • Fell Points: 1
    • View Profile
Voices
« on: June 01, 2008, 08:42:05 PM »
throughout MB 1 and 2, different people hear voices. Vin hears Reen's voice; we are not sure whether this is just a poetic way of saying what he would have done or if she is actually hearing something. Zane hears something he calls God. When Sazed was fighting Marsh, something told him to use the rings that marsh had shot at him. (that instance im not too sure about though, it could easily have just been Sazed's own thoughts. It just sounded weird.) And marsh himself does not know why he is doing what he is doing; this would lead us to believe he is being controlled by something else. Whether he hears voices or not we don't know.
        Thoughts?
Quote from: VegasDev
RJF: "AHA! You fell victim to one of the classic blunders! The most famous is never get involved in a land war in Cairhien, but only slightly less well-known is this: never go in against a warder when he is only the distraction! Get him Rand! Buzzzzzzz!

Vintage

• Level 5
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Voices
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2008, 08:54:55 PM »
lol Lots of thoughts but I can't bring myself to write them all again here, and I am not the only one. You can read "Mysterious Reen" for one, and also the Comprehensive Hemalurgy thread for Marsh and Zane and Vin's mom which you forgot, by the way. Read the Hemalurgy thread first since it is the most informative and delirious (in a good way, of course).

Andrew the Great

• Level 19
  • If that never happened again, it would be too soon
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2008, 08:56:10 PM »
Vintage pretty much summed it up. I don't remember the Sazed thing though. Care to provide a quote?
Sign on wall: "We're doing everything we can to get you to the math lab and get you help."
Random girl: "That explains so much about the way my professors have been teaching..."

"Look! I can play Mary had a little lamb on my rape whistle!"

Executor of Chaos' Opinions in the Event of His Absence

Reaves

• Level 23
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2008, 11:59:16 PM »
"those weren't coins, a voice seemed to whisper.
The bag Marsh shot at you. Those weren't coins. They were rings, Sazed. Eight of them. you took out two-eyesight and hearing. You left the other ones where they were.
In the pouch, tucked in your sash."

when i read it again it seems even stranger than it did before- the voice is referring to Sazed as you.

At this point, Sazed is trying to stop Vin from freeing whatever is in the Well.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2008, 03:23:00 AM by Reaves »
Quote from: VegasDev
RJF: "AHA! You fell victim to one of the classic blunders! The most famous is never get involved in a land war in Cairhien, but only slightly less well-known is this: never go in against a warder when he is only the distraction! Get him Rand! Buzzzzzzz!

Chaos

• Administrator
  • Level 36
  • Fell Points: 3
  • The Original Hero of Ages
    • View Profile
    • Eric Lake
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2008, 11:21:19 PM »
I forgot that particular quote. Nice find, Reaves.

There's another topic that Vintage didn't mention: the Ruin and Preservation thread. I mention it because it is an overwhelming opinion that Ruin (the well spirit) is the one having those voices, at the very least, the voices in Zane's head.

This is present in the Hemalurgy topic because it seems Ruin only talks to people with metal spikes--the necessity of Hemalurgy. What is discussed there, among many other Hemalurgy things, is why Ruin is doing that via Hemalurgy.

The Reen topic is to debate whether Reen's voice in Vin's head is Ruin, the same entity controlling Zane (and the Inquisitors, logically speaking).

So, hope that elaborated what Vintage said. Either way, R&P topic is a great read.

However... Sazed. That one... definitely deserves thoughts.
www.17thshard.com - The Official Brandon Sanderson Fansite.

Oh SNAP, I'm an Allomancer.

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2008, 12:38:39 AM »
No kidding. If Ruin is controlling Marsh, it's extremely unlikely Ruin would be telling Sazed how to defeat Marsh. Yet the way it's worded does make it seem like there's an actual voice.

What other evidence is there of a voice saying something Ruin wouldn't say?
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

Comatose

• Level 19
  • A Shard of Adonalsium
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2008, 01:31:04 AM »
Well, in the last Epigraph of MB1, Alendi says there are quiet whispers telling telling him that he doesn't need to worry, thati if he fails, someone will come to take his place.  I don't think Ruin would say this because he would wnat Alendi to succeed at all costs, to give up the power creation, and free him from the well, but thie whispers Alendi hear are telling him that it's all right if he fails.
"Look, I'm just trying to change the world, okay?  I don't have time for a grudge match with every poser in a parka!"
- Dr. Horrible

"There's always another secret..."
- Kelsier

Chaos

• Administrator
  • Level 36
  • Fell Points: 3
  • The Original Hero of Ages
    • View Profile
    • Eric Lake
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2008, 03:05:45 PM »
There's a serene voice that told Elend how to defeat that Koloss. The narration in that part said it wasn't Tindwyl's voice, or anything else he'd heard before.
www.17thshard.com - The Official Brandon Sanderson Fansite.

Oh SNAP, I'm an Allomancer.

darxbane

• Level 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2008, 04:16:11 PM »
Reen's voice in Vin's head is almost always contradictory to what Ruin would say.  Other than that, I can't think of anything that stands out.
I wanted to write something profound here, but I couldn't think of anything.