Author Topic: Hollywood Speculation  (Read 16504 times)

Bookstore Guy

• Level 21
  • Fell Points: 2
    • View Profile
Re: Hollywood Speculation
« Reply #30 on: May 30, 2008, 06:14:50 PM »
Good call Ookla - I got a bit ahead of myself.  We'll let Brandon reveal all the "cool" details on Centrifugal when he gets on here.
Check out our blog, Elitist Book Reviews at:
http://elitistbookreviews.blogspot.com/

Tink

• Level 11
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 31, 2008, 11:53:53 PM »
Well, considering Brandon said, "No, it probably isn't for the series you're thinking about," (emphasis added) I'm guessing it's one of his series and not a standalone. More than likely, it is one that has been published (I would guess), which leaves prominently Mistborn or Alcatraz. My first inclination was to guess Alcatraz. I think that it would be great on screen and if it did well, there are more books coming out that could also be made into a film. I think it would be hard to fit Mistborn into one movie, and I don't think it would reach as wide of an audience as Alcatraz would. But that's just speculation.

Andrew the Great

• Level 19
  • If that never happened again, it would be too soon
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 01, 2008, 02:22:11 AM »
I disagree with it being a series. I think Brandon thought everyone would think of mistborn, so said that it wasn't that series. Besides, we do already have confirmation that it's centrifugal.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2008, 08:41:38 PM by Andrew the Great »
Sign on wall: "We're doing everything we can to get you to the math lab and get you help."
Random girl: "That explains so much about the way my professors have been teaching..."

"Look! I can play Mary had a little lamb on my rape whistle!"

Executor of Chaos' Opinions in the Event of His Absence

Hero of Ages

• Level 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 02, 2008, 07:30:22 AM »
You say that it is confirmed to be Centrifugal, care to say where??  I looked at EUOL's post when he was talking about it and didn't see anything of the sort.
I must not fear;
Fear is the mind killer;
I will face my fear;
I will let it pass through me;
When the fear is gone, there will be nothing;
Only I will remain.
-Paul Muad'dib Atreides-

Anticipation of death is worse than death itself.
-Me-

firstRainbowRose

• Level 18
  • Fell Points: 1
  • So pretty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 02, 2008, 08:58:03 AM »
I think he's talking about someone's post on here that started the whole comment about it being Centrifugal.
"The custom of royalty in referring to oneself is to naturally employ the royal 'we'.  We are very happy, we are very sad, we are bored and suffer from ennui.  For a royal prince there's no such word as 'me', It's always 'we'.  So rightfully I should be two or three, don't you agree?"

Reaves

• Level 23
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 02, 2008, 02:03:16 PM »
Well iirc ookla and fellfrosch are some of Sanderson's alpha readers; i believe they know him in person. This would explain why they know what they do.
Quote from: VegasDev
RJF: "AHA! You fell victim to one of the classic blunders! The most famous is never get involved in a land war in Cairhien, but only slightly less well-known is this: never go in against a warder when he is only the distraction! Get him Rand! Buzzzzzzz!

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 02, 2008, 06:26:37 PM »
This has probably gone too far. I was talking to my sister (Pink Bunkadoo) on the phone yesterday, and even she had taken the comment at face value.

No, it's not Centrifugal, but I enjoyed Steve's joke quite a bit and played along. When I mentioned it to Brandon on Saturday, he thought it was pretty funny too and said something like, "Steve, Steve, Steve..." (He's been reading the forum less recently, because he's too tempted to respond to so many threads, and once the author has given a definitive answer, where's the fun in that?) Anyway he says he'll be able to reveal the Hollywood details later this week, so speculate away.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

Bookstore Guy

• Level 21
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 02, 2008, 06:53:27 PM »
<wicked laughter> I had far too much fun with this for it to be healthy.  Ookla, you were brilliant with your comments!  But yes, it's time to not be so delightfully wicked.  The comments about Centrifugal by Ookla and myself were just a joke - but a good one at that! </wicked laughter>
Check out our blog, Elitist Book Reviews at:
http://elitistbookreviews.blogspot.com/

Andrew the Great

• Level 19
  • If that never happened again, it would be too soon
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 02, 2008, 07:15:28 PM »
And really, you guys, you ought to notice when I post first that I'm confused, then a few hours later my post is mysteriously edited to say that it's been confirmed. I know some of you did read it when it was unedited too...But I fell for it completely, I'll admit, until Ookla pmed me. Then I laughed for a few minutes and edited my post.

For speculative purposes, I think that Elantris or Alcatraz is the most likely, and for some reason I tend to lean toward Elantris.
Sign on wall: "We're doing everything we can to get you to the math lab and get you help."
Random girl: "That explains so much about the way my professors have been teaching..."

"Look! I can play Mary had a little lamb on my rape whistle!"

Executor of Chaos' Opinions in the Event of His Absence

bhthomas

• Level 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 02, 2008, 07:43:50 PM »
i was wondering why Hollywood would pick up a short story written ten years ago back when the author was still in high school and (to my knowledge) only released to the public like 2 monthes ago.

And if he says its not the series we would expect dont we all expect that its not going to be mistborn so it might actually be the one we hope for but dont  expect. . . that made more sense in my head.(translation=it might be mistborn)

Anyways whatever book it is i hope he gets to help the movie and have some control over it so it doesnt turn into another Eragon.

VegasDev

• Level 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 02, 2008, 10:10:56 PM »
I still maintain that Scribbler translates best to the big screen, although I kind of hope that isn't the one they've selected. Hollywood has a habit of destroying books, but in this case maybe that's not a bad thing since it hasn't been published yet.
Now you've got all the ones with beards on one side and all the
moustaches on the other.

Reaves

• Level 23
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 02, 2008, 10:48:37 PM »
 >:( ;D >:( ;D >:( ;D >:( ;D
Quote from: VegasDev
RJF: "AHA! You fell victim to one of the classic blunders! The most famous is never get involved in a land war in Cairhien, but only slightly less well-known is this: never go in against a warder when he is only the distraction! Get him Rand! Buzzzzzzz!

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 02, 2008, 11:14:25 PM »
Ookla, you were brilliant with your comments!
It didn't take too much thought to just write the truth and replace the actual title with Centrifugal. The best lies are mostly true. :)
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

Phaz

• Level 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 02, 2008, 11:18:35 PM »
If this is something that has been in the works for that long, then I think I know which series it is.  Brandon mentioned something similar briefly at a signing in Denver.

If that's the case, I hope it does go through, as I think it will translate great to the world of cinema.

Natalie Perkins

• Level 4
    • View Profile
    • NataliePerkins.cjb.net
« Reply #44 on: June 03, 2008, 04:07:48 AM »
Anyways whatever book it is i hope he gets to help the movie and have some control over it so it doesnt turn into another Eragon.

I would flip out if it turned into another Eragon. They totally destroyed that book. (and that series is somewhere in my Top 20)
And I like most of Brandon's books more than Eragon, so if it's not done well... then, someone will be missing a few of their vital organs, to name the least graphic of the various punishments I've thought up
‘Never trust a teenage boy in a room of teenage girls to be on time.’ (Wievorann Ch.6)