Author Topic: Hollywood Speculation  (Read 16509 times)

Relient A

• Level 2
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Hollywood Speculation
« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2008, 07:25:11 PM »
While Elantris would be cool... I just don't see it being made into a good movie. So many of the parts I enjoyed the best involved internal thoughts and emotions, which are difficult to show on film. Hopefully, if this is the answer, I will be very pleasantly surprised.

I've never read Alcatraz yet... I'm still to even find it in any local bookstore.

WOT doesn't make sense simply because there is no way to ever put the entire series, even condensed, into a film format. It took LoTR 7 years to put out just the three movies, and that was working 60+ hour work-weeks the entire time. It seems like this would be more likely to be picked up by the SciFi channel and turned into a 10 episode mini-series, kinda like NBC did with The 10th Kingdom.
The following Statement is True.
The Previous statement is False.
(bythe way, that's a self-reliant paradox)

firstRainbowRose

• Level 18
  • Fell Points: 1
  • So pretty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 29, 2008, 07:29:24 PM »
I know the answer, but I don't know if I should say.  This is so frustrating!

I'm the same way, and I just figured if he wanted us to say for sure he would have stated the answer in his blog.  Were you at the signing when he said what/who's doing it?
"The custom of royalty in referring to oneself is to naturally employ the royal 'we'.  We are very happy, we are very sad, we are bored and suffer from ennui.  For a royal prince there's no such word as 'me', It's always 'we'.  So rightfully I should be two or three, don't you agree?"

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #17 on: May 29, 2008, 07:47:31 PM »
I sincerely hope that the guy WriterDan quoted was misled by our April Fool's joke. That would be too awesome for words.
NA that post is from last december.

There was a producer reading mistborn, his son was a fan, but I don't think much else happened with it.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

Bookstore Guy

• Level 21
  • Fell Points: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 29, 2008, 08:00:34 PM »
Brandon confirmed that it was the story Centrifugal.
http://brandonsanderson.com/blog/635/International-Pixel-Stained-Technopeasant-Day

Spriggan just didn't want to come out and say it, but we are all really excited to see his "first" story come to Hollywood. 

I thought everyone knew this...
Check out our blog, Elitist Book Reviews at:
http://elitistbookreviews.blogspot.com/

Shrain

• Level 34
  • Gargoyles have all the fun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 29, 2008, 10:26:49 PM »
Hmm. I don't see anything in that post where he says this story was being considered for a movie deal. So for me it doesn't really "confirm" anything.  ???

After chatting w/ the savvy Nessa, though, I've changed my mind. I'm betting that ALCATRAZ is the book under consideration for the Hollywood deal, not ELANTRIS. I'm itching to find out, one way or another.
Lord Ruler and Lady Protractor were off on vacation, thus the angles running amok.
--Spriggan

"The movie of my life must be really low-budget."
--Harry Dresden in DEAD BEAT

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 30, 2008, 01:53:21 AM »
I just got done having lunch with Brandon, and he was telling me about his studio tour yesterday and how great the Centrifugal storyboards looked. They've really done a lot to improve the story during the adaptation process!
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

Vintage

• Level 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 30, 2008, 01:58:47 AM »
Ookla, please, which story ? Alcatraz or Elantris ?

Shrain

• Level 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 30, 2008, 02:44:09 AM »
I just got done having lunch with Brandon, and he was telling me about his studio tour yesterday and how great the Centrifugal storyboards looked. They've really done a lot to improve the story during the adaptation process!
Hmm. So does this mean that the movie deal is for the Centrifugal story then?? Wow, didn't see that one coming, despite Not Bookstore Guy's link. I mean, that blog didn't mention anything about a movie deal. Also, I wouldn't have guessed that the piece in question was a short story rather than a novel. Verrrry interesting.

I just started reading WARBREAKER 4.2 and I think I'll take a time out to read Centrifugal.  :D
Lord Ruler and Lady Protractor were off on vacation, thus the angles running amok.
--Spriggan

bhthomas

• Level 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 30, 2008, 04:53:05 AM »
So if the paperwork is all signed soon are we looking at a late 2009/early2010 release?

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 30, 2008, 05:01:02 AM »
It's not greenlit yet, so there can't be any release date for some time. And I doubt this movie would be made very quickly anyway.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

Shi

• Level 5
    • View Profile
    • My Deviantart page
« Reply #25 on: May 30, 2008, 05:11:27 AM »
Ah, I know what book it is, too! I was waiting to hear whether or not the deal would go through. Lets hope all goes well! I'll keep my mouth shut too, and let Brandon have his fun in revealing that info.

Shrain

• Level 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 30, 2008, 05:19:49 AM »
I shall keep a weather eye on this thread and EUOL's blog, that's all I can say.
--Spriggan

VegasDev

• Level 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 30, 2008, 04:56:39 PM »
I would have guessed Scribbler. Out of all his books, that's the one that I think translates best to the big screen.
Now you've got all the ones with beards on one side and all the
moustaches on the other.

Bookstore Guy

• Level 21
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 30, 2008, 05:13:06 PM »
Hmm. So does this mean that the movie deal is for the Centrifugal story then?? Wow, didn't see that one coming, despite Not Bookstore Guy's link. I mean, that blog didn't mention anything about a movie deal. Also, I wouldn't have guessed that the piece in question was a short story rather than a novel. Verrrry interesting.

I just started reading WARBREAKER 4.2 and I think I'll take a time out to read Centrifugal.  :D

Remember, short stories are much easier to translate into film.  It is much easier to distill down to 1 central idea.  Brandon was really excited to go down there (Hollywood) and see what kind of ideas they had for the adaptation of Centrifugal, but I'm glad he met with Ookla and that he was pleased with the initial ideas.

Ookla - did he say whether they had decided on live action for it or not?
Check out our blog, Elitist Book Reviews at:
http://elitistbookreviews.blogspot.com/

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 30, 2008, 05:42:49 PM »
He did say, but it's not up to me to reveal such sensitive material.