Author Topic: review: The Chronicles of Narnia: Prince Caspian  (Read 4762 times)

Nessa

• Administrator
  • Level 32
  • Fell Points: 5
  • Giving life to demon spawn since 1999
    • View Profile
"The difference between the almost right word and the right word is really a large matter--'tis the difference between the lightning-bug and the lightning."  -  Mark Twain

Check out my book reviews at http://elitistbookreviews.blogspot.com/

readerMom

• Level 8
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
    • Books, mostly
Re: review: The Chronicles of Narnia: Prince Caspian
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2008, 09:07:32 PM »
I've always disliked Prince Caspian the book so when "forced" to see it (Indiana Jones was sold out) I wasn't sure what to expect.  I loved this movie.  It added some action type scenes but I felt that the additions tended to help the movie get away from the things I don't like about the book:  it is boring and they spend too much time squabbling among themselves.  I especially liked the conflict between Peter and Caspian and how that was resolved.

Hammerforge

• Level 2
  • Reorx's beard!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2008, 09:09:40 PM »
I've always disliked Prince Caspian the book so when "forced" to see it (Indiana Jones was sold out) I wasn't sure what to expect.  I loved this movie.  It added some action type scenes but I felt that the additions tended to help the movie get away from the things I don't like about the book:  it is boring and they spend too much time squabbling among themselves.  I especially liked the conflict between Peter and Caspian and how that was resolved.

I agree. Personally, I loved the sequence with the White Witch. Edmund was great in this movie.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2008, 09:45:09 PM by Hammerforge »
"Iwouldn't tell a mountain dwarf where hisbeard was in the snow."

readerMom

• Level 8
    • View Profile
    • Books, mostly
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2008, 11:08:25 PM »
I came out of this movie wanting to find people who hadn't seen it and telling them "YOU MUST GO NOW!"
A very strange feeling for me.

• Staff
  • Level 56
  • Fell Points: 8
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2008, 04:04:40 AM »
I thought this was a great movie, though afterwards I recommended that my 8-year-old niece not go see it.
The Folly of youth is to think that intelligence is a subsitute for experience. The folly of age is to think that experience is a subsitute for intelligence.

Skar

• Level 54
  • Fell Points: 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2008, 05:42:28 AM »
Well, having been pilloried for my opinions about the first of the current narnia installments (as well as, admittedly, my smug and insultingly condescending attitude about the same)  I hesitate to voice my opinion on this one. But here goes.

I bloody loved it.  It was great.  I haven't read the book in some time so I was free from any angst over departures.  The actors, this time, did a fine job.  The CGI was incredible.  The plot was coherent and not impeded by stupid things.  The fighting was good to watch instead of painful.  The "jokes" fit nicely into the context. The "magical moments" were not drawn out past there usefulness. Reepicheep, my favorite character in the books by far, was treated well and not made into a jarjarbinks.  I was incredibly pleased.  Bravo.
"Skar is the kind of bird who, when you try to kill him with a stone, uses it, and the other bird, to take vengeance on you in a swirling melee of death."

-Fellfrosch

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2008, 08:03:35 AM »
Humm! Now I think I'll have to go see it. Already have to schedule Indy, though...
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

Skar

• Level 54
  • Fell Points: 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2008, 05:13:34 PM »
With all due respect to the Gibbs brothers, I thought Caspian was a much better watch.  Indy and the Crystal Skull crossed my personal "Campy" line early and way too often.
"Skar is the kind of bird who, when you try to kill him with a stone, uses it, and the other bird, to take vengeance on you in a swirling melee of death."

-Fellfrosch

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2008, 07:43:28 PM »
I didn't like Caspian as much as I was wanting too--mostly because I just don't like the 4 kids.  It's a mix of the acting (The girl that plays Lucy is the only one that doesn't come off stiff as a board), bad dialog with them and I don't think I like the concept that much.  What worked in the first movie--the kids coming to narnia--fell flat for me in the second.  From when they got to narnia up till when they ran into Caspian's group was painful to watch.

That being said about everything else with the movie was very well done.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

Hammerforge

• Level 2
  • Reorx's beard!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2008, 09:00:26 PM »
Well, having been pilloried for my opinions about the first of the current narnia installments (as well as, admittedly, my smug and insultingly condescending attitude about the same)  I hesitate to voice my opinion on this one. But here goes.

I bloody loved it.  It was great.  I haven't read the book in some time so I was free from any angst over departures.  The actors, this time, did a fine job.  The CGI was incredible.  The plot was coherent and not impeded by stupid things.  The fighting was good to watch instead of painful.  The "jokes" fit nicely into the context. The "magical moments" were not drawn out past there usefulness. Reepicheep, my favorite character in the books by far, was treated well and not made into a jarjarbinks.  I was incredibly pleased.  Bravo.

Glad you liked this one. I thought it fanstastic.

All I will say about "Indy" is that all of the films were campy, though I admit this one had more of than the last (but not nearly as much as "Temple of Doom." My advice to anyone going to see Indy is that you simply can't get a real opinion of it until you've seen it at least twice. After waiting this long, the first viewing is not going to live up all of your expectations - not even mine. It isn't possible (I am one of the Gibbs Brotehrs, by the way. Thought I would blend in better with a screen name.)

I totally agree about "Reepicheep." I LOVE the character, one of the best in all of the Chronicles. and I was really desperate to see them get him right. And they certainly did.

Shi

• Level 5
    • View Profile
    • My Deviantart page
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2008, 07:20:50 AM »
I liked prince Caspian. I felt like they didn't try to make at all 'family friendly" as much as they did in the first one--which I'm glad for. The battles and action sequences were done so much better. The characters weren't as interesting as they were in the first movie, though. Peter was so whinny, and you barely even see Edmund, poor guy got the shaft.

Hammerforge

• Level 2
  • Reorx's beard!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2008, 09:06:36 PM »
I liked prince Caspian. I felt like they didn't try to make at all 'family friendly" as much as they did in the first one--which I'm glad for. The battles and action sequences were done so much better. The characters weren't as interesting as they were in the first movie, though. Peter was so whinny, and you barely even see Edmund, poor guy got the shaft.

See, Edmund was my favorite part of this one. True, he had no major character arc like he did in thre last one, but he had some great indiviual moments - like the bit with the Witch, and my favorite line, which came straight from the book, about the last time he didn't believe Lucy.

Shi

• Level 5
    • View Profile
    • My Deviantart page
« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2008, 09:11:16 AM »
See, Edmund was my favorite part of this one. True, he had no major character arc like he did in thre last one, but he had some great indiviual moments - like the bit with the Witch, and my favorite line, which came straight from the book, about the last time he didn't believe Lucy.

Oh, I totally agree with you. Edmund was probably my favorite character in the movie, which is why it's so sad he never really got focused on.

skibocastle

• Level 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2008, 04:39:49 PM »
I agree about Edmund, he was my favorite part of Caspian.  I loved Reepicheep as well, they did a great job with him.  I agree with the older kids being a little stilted, especially Peter and Susan.  I found myself really disliking Peter, after thinking of him as a great older brother in the first one.  But Edmund and Lucy have one more movie coming up, so we'll see if Edmund gets a bigger role.

Comatose

• Level 19
  • Fell Points: 1
  • A Shard of Adonalsium
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2008, 08:24:05 PM »
I liked Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe better, but I am continueing to be impressed with the Narnia movies, I love the books, and the movies are amazing.  I loved the part with the witch (tildy is such a great actress!)  I loved the kids as well, they have a great dynamic, in the first movie they really came across as sibling, and I think that transferred over as well, they kind of remind me of my family (four kids, two boys to girls, same order) so I really gots some of the conflicts they had.
I also didn't mind the added Susan-Caspian romance, I thought it worked ok, and I like how it was mainly just hinted at, and not brought to the forefront, cuz Narnia's not like that.
I also liked how this one focuses on the flaws of the other children, Edmund went thorugh all that in the first movie, and it shows that everyone has thier inner demons.

I thought Prince Caspian was great, can;t wait to see, say, Voyage of the Dawn Treader, if they do a movie of it!
"Look, I'm just trying to change the world, okay?  I don't have time for a grudge match with every poser in a parka!"
- Dr. Horrible

"There's always another secret..."
- Kelsier