Author Topic: Warbreaker readers: Is it about Siri?  (Read 4264 times)

swaindaddy

• Level 4
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
    • christopherswain.net
Re: Warbreaker readers: Is it about Siri?
« Reply #15 on: May 28, 2008, 08:25:33 PM »
Swaindaddy,
I find some fault in your logic here.  You say you had a problem with Elantris because it didn't focus enough on the main character, when in fact 99% of the book is written in the point of view of the three main characters.  You then compare it to Wheel of Time, which has At least 7 main character viewpoints, and goes entire books where Rand is hardly mentioned.  Even if WoT was primarily about Rand, and not the struggles of an entire land, your dislike of the main character not having enough viewpoints would still apply to WoT.  I would be more inclined to believe that you are comparing a story written by an established and seasoned author (Robert Jordan) to a story written in college by an up and coming author (Brandon Sanderson).  Please read Mistborn, you will see the marked improvement in Sanderson's writing.  By the way, I loved Elantris, even with some of the flaws Brandon himself admits to.  Nobody writes a masterpiece on their first try, but you can see the potential if you look for it.  By the way, if I had the time, I would have written this post in Triad format, and given you the least amount of words, because I am a jerk like that.

I never compare it to WoT - I said I prefer books like THE FIRST FEW WoT "Eye of the World", "The Great Hunt", etc because they focus mainly on the first character. I understand that they evolve and I don't mind that at all. Regardless, the Sanderson books are different. That's OK. Just not for everyone. Calm down. I think I know where NOT to ask these questions in the future.

Edited for Egads spelling
« Last Edit: May 30, 2008, 02:03:39 PM by swaindaddy »
"People are stupid; given proper motivation, almost anyone will believe almost anything."

Wizard's First Rule —Chapter 36, p.397, U.S. hardcover edition

Vintage

• Level 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 30, 2008, 01:53:50 AM »
 ;D Don't worry Ookla, I know how to just tease the surface without ruining everything. I've been teasing people all my life which is keeping on way longer than expected ! lol No Hobb spoilers ever ! Promise !  ;D

Sorry about that Swaindaddy. I guess we kinda change the subject...

darxbane

• Level 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 30, 2008, 03:29:38 PM »
I am calm, really!  I respect your opinion, I just like to debate.  The reasons you gave seemed more emotional to me than logical, so I made a point to spark some debate. 

On a separate note, did Vintage just admit she is a tease?  :)  And is a woman admitting such really news? :P
I wanted to write something profound here, but I couldn't think of anything.

Shi

• Level 5
    • View Profile
    • My Deviantart page
« Reply #18 on: June 02, 2008, 04:10:51 AM »
Actually, I understand why someone would prefer a single viewpoint, instead of many. One of the biggest problems with having multiple main characters is that if the reader doesn't like one of them, whenever it switches to their viewpoint reading can become a chore. I've experienced it a few times, and I would get aggitated reading the character I didn't like, and everytime it switched to their viewpoint I would get annoyed.

But, ya know, it's worse when it's only one viewpoint character, and you happen to hate them (Stephenie Meyer's books keep coming to mind). You win some, you lose some.

Anyway, I haven't read Warbreaker yet. So Swaindaddy, from the sound of it the book may not be for you. But who knows, maybe if you read it you'll find you enjoy all the characters. The books free, so there's really no harm in trying it out if you want to.