Author Topic: review: Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull  (Read 4682 times)

Nessa

• Administrator
  • Level 32
  • Fell Points: 5
  • Giving life to demon spawn since 1999
    • View Profile
"The difference between the almost right word and the right word is really a large matter--'tis the difference between the lightning-bug and the lightning."  -  Mark Twain

Check out my book reviews at http://elitistbookreviews.blogspot.com/

Hammerforge

• Level 2
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Reorx's beard!
    • View Profile
Re: review: Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2008, 06:15:57 PM »
Gotta say, I saw this movie again last night and it was even better the second time around. My apologies for the weird typos at the end of the review.
"Iwouldn't tell a mountain dwarf where hisbeard was in the snow."

Nessa

• Administrator
  • Level 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2008, 07:54:43 PM »
My apologies for the weird typos at the end of the review.

Oops. This would be more my fault. I edit everything that goes through; but, of course, I miss things. You can always email me corrections if necessary.
"The difference between the almost right word and the right word is really a large matter--'tis the difference between the lightning-bug and the lightning."  -  Mark Twain

Nessa

• Administrator
  • Level 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2008, 01:16:26 AM »
Ok, Gibbs dudes, you totally overhype this movie! hahaha. I went to see it today and while it's pure good finger-lickin' fun, I wouldn't give it six clocks. Of course, you couldn't think too deeply about the first movies, either, but this one still requires less brains to watch it. There are things that happen that don't make sense, existing merely for the thrill--which I found a little disappointing. I went into it with too high of expectations, though, I'm thinking (purely your fault  ;)). However, it pokes fun at itself, which redeemes it from these flaws.

• Staff
  • Level 56
  • Fell Points: 8
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2008, 04:02:46 AM »
I saw this movie today too.

It's a fun movie to watch, but is mostly fluff. So many of the scenes I had to work really hard to suspend my disbelief, but fortunately it didn't dwell on those impossible moments (of which there are several) for very long.

IMO, it's not 6 clocks, more like 4 clocks. Whatever.

The Folly of youth is to think that intelligence is a subsitute for experience. The folly of age is to think that experience is a subsitute for intelligence.

Bookstore Guy

• Level 21
  • Fell Points: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2008, 08:10:46 PM »
I just try to blot out the 2 major "no-way-in-any-hell-ever-imagined" moments, and I find that for the most part I enjoyed the movie.  I was a little disappointed in in the musical score.  Kinda meh. 

Even with the no-way-in-hell moments, it was still way better than Temple of Doom.  It felt like there were too many characters taking up limited screen time.

I'd agree with 4/6 clocks.
Check out our blog, Elitist Book Reviews at:
http://elitistbookreviews.blogspot.com/

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2008, 09:52:05 PM »
I think I know exactly which two moments you're referring to, and I agree. I loved the movie overall, and I was more than willing to suspend my disbelief to humor an old friend like Indy. The mention of Temple of Doom is key here--it was not an especially good movie, even for Indy fanatics, so we're already kind of braced for a less than perfect sequel because we've seen one before. This one had some fantastic moments, with a lot of clever ideas and interesting characters. And it had MARION, for crying out loud. The few things that were preposterous were very forgivable because, even as silly as they were, they just so well done.

Here's my one and only real complaint: Mac. They could have trimmed his entire character from the story with no loss of plot or interest. Here's hoping they make a fifth movie and bring back the sidekick who really deserves it: Sallah!
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2008, 01:17:04 AM »
Actually Lucas allready planning two more movies but moving the main character to Mutt and making Indy play a role similar to Connery in Last Crusade.

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/cannes_film_festival_2008/news/1729138/

Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

skibocastle

• Level 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2008, 04:34:29 PM »
I enjoyed the movie overall, but was a little disappointed in Marion.  In the first movie she was a very strong woman,  with some great scenes.  In this one she seemed to be almost a shrinking violet.  Somehow I don't think age would have changed her that much  :)

Hammerforge

• Level 2
  • Reorx's beard!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2008, 01:57:27 AM »
I refuse to discuss the six clock issue, except to say that, as far as this movie is concerned, I've seen it 9 times now, and and I will see it at least three or four more times. For me, it transcended the experience of merely being a movie. I got lost in it (9 times) in a way I don't get lost in movies any more. Modern movies don't take me anywhere magical anymore - SPEED RACER was one of those movies that honestly made me question why I even go see movies, and it wasn't even the worst I've seen this year, and doesn't come close to the worst I saw last year ("NEXT."). Indy reminded me of why I love movies, and it takes me a place that is truly wonderous. .  So my six clocks still stand, though I knew that many would disagree, and I am osrry if I raised anyone's expectations too high - but for me to rate it lower would be like lying.

As far as the "no way" moments, one of the two that everyone out there is making a big deal about, I just don't get the problem. I'll just say that it's the one involving Mutt in the jungle, and I FREAKING LOVED IT! it was fun. It was a salute to the classic serials - which is THE WHOLE POINT OF THE ENTIRE FRANCHISE.

Oh, well. To each they're own.  But I stand by the review.
"Iwouldn't tell a mountain dwarf where hisbeard was in the snow."

SteelEyeball

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2008, 12:11:54 AM »
Saw this movie the night it came out, liked it, but only about as well as Temple of Doom. In other words, I thought it was a great movie, but not a great INDIANA movie. Still really good, though, don't get me wrong. I'd watch it again in a heartbeat. :)
You think I'm afraid? Well, get ready to be surprised.

Azhev

• Level 5
  • Wanderer of my own little world
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2008, 02:41:21 PM »
I enjoyed the movies as well.  For me, though, it didn't seem to fit with the others as well, even Temple of Doom.  The previous three dealt with the mystical were as this one was more sci-fi.  I will still see this one again in a heart beat because, hey! It's Indy!  ;D
"The ending of a book is, in my experience, both the best and the worst part to read.  For the ending will often decide whethet you love or hate the book."

-Alcatraz Smedry, Alcatraz Versus the Evil Librarians, p262

flex

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2008, 01:56:06 AM »
For me it combined the best of all worlds, action, adventure, mystery, sci-fi....a little for everyone. I thought it was a little heavy on the CGI at times but I was still on the edge of my seat for most the movie. GO INDY!
Friendship is like peeing on yourself: everyone can see it, but only you get the warm feeling that it brings.

SteelEyeball

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2008, 10:38:30 PM »
Yeah definitely some heavy CGI in there, that and the sci-fi is what I disliked. In the previous installments, it was more god-related stuff, and all of their stunts were done with minimum CGI. This one doesn't really fit into the series, but it was still good.
You think I'm afraid? Well, get ready to be surprised.