Poll

Would you be interested in fabricating, or just playing, a Mistborn PnPRPG?

Help make
1 (6.3%)
Play
2 (12.5%)
Both
11 (68.8%)
Not interested
2 (12.5%)

Total Members Voted: 16

Author Topic: Mistborn P&P RPG?  (Read 9208 times)

Andrew the Great

• Level 19
  • Fell Points: 0
  • If that never happened again, it would be too soon
    • View Profile
Re: Mistborn P&P RPG?
« Reply #30 on: May 22, 2008, 07:49:50 PM »
Woah. Prevalence of Inquisitors? We see like fourteen in the entire book. We know that there are more, but they are described as being an exclusive, rare bunch. I would put them at about the same prevalence as mistborn. The only reason we saw as many as we did was because of the scenes in Kredik Shaw. If we had seen all th mistborn and mistings in Luthadel, I would imagine it would be considerably more than fourteen. Other than that, I agree with you. no one wants to be regular in a game....
Sign on wall: "We're doing everything we can to get you to the math lab and get you help."
Random girl: "That explains so much about the way my professors have been teaching..."

"Look! I can play Mary had a little lamb on my rape whistle!"

Executor of Chaos' Opinions in the Event of His Absence

AvalonDreamer

• Level 8
  • Boy Genius - Grown Up... Kinda.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 22, 2008, 07:58:53 PM »
It is possible to be exrtraordinary and not be mistborn. Dockson was a prominent character, and he was skaa. In GURPS, everyone starts with the same number of (GM-decided) points, so in theory, everyone can be just as extraordinary as each other, its just a matter of working out point ratios and power levels. Instead of levelling, the GM hands out a few points at the end of each game, which can be put into more attributes or saved for later (so, if you start a Misting, and manage to acrue 300 spare points, you can have your character find out that they were a mistborn all along).

If this ends up where metals are being used like the super-powers (which seems best now...), one would buy power levels in thier metal, as well as spending points toward 'skill' with that metal, if you catch what I'm trying to say. I think that works here, as we've seen people like Vin - with her uber-power - yet she didn't always have much control.
My friends held an intervention, to stop my ridiculous plans to take over the world (Jake ended up in the hospital). I convinced them to let me take over other worlds though.

*Evil grin*

RIP: James Oliver Rigney, Jr.

Vintage

• Level 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 22, 2008, 08:11:14 PM »
I disagree... it is not all mistings that become Inquisitors so, it has to be more expensive, for one thing. Second, our beloved friend, TLR himself, said that Inquisitors were very expensive to replace. It should reflect these two points, I think...

Hero of Ages

• Level 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 23, 2008, 06:33:36 AM »
You know you are right.  It was late when I wrote this and I was thinking of the obligators.  So for my previous post please subsitute obligator for inquisitor in every case.  (I could go back and modify it but then other posts wouldn't make sense.)

As for the ratios, the number of obligators would be around that of regular mistings and the mistborn/inquisitor ratio would be more or less the same.  I think we need to include obligators because most (if not all) are mistings.  The only major difference between a regular misting and a misting-obligator would be some kind of mental discipline feat.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2008, 06:47:08 AM by Hero of Ages »
I must not fear;
Fear is the mind killer;
I will face my fear;
I will let it pass through me;
When the fear is gone, there will be nothing;
Only I will remain.
-Paul Muad'dib Atreides-

Anticipation of death is worse than death itself.
-Me-

AvalonDreamer

• Level 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 23, 2008, 08:26:25 AM »
Have it purchasable as a social advantage? Given that an average PC starts with 500 pts, how many do you think being an obligator would be worth? On top of the amount necessary to be an aristocrat already.
My friends held an intervention, to stop my ridiculous plans to take over the world (Jake ended up in the hospital). I convinced them to let me take over other worlds though.

*Evil grin*

Andrew the Great

• Level 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 23, 2008, 03:19:07 PM »
Vintage, the Lord Ruler says inquisitors are difficult to replace, not  expensive. The only reason inquisitors might get expensive  is because of their spikes. Avalon, I really like the points going toward skill in metals thing. It makes a lot of sense.
Sign on wall: "We're doing everything we can to get you to the math lab and get you help."
Random girl: "That explains so much about the way my professors have been teaching..."

Hero of Ages

• Level 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 24, 2008, 06:09:53 AM »
Within point-based systems like GURPS and Vampire, the problem of having too many Mistborn is solved easily - just make them cost obscene amounts to run, and have the same be for Feruchemists (Ex.: you start with 200 points to buy attributes, just to be a mistborn with basic abilities could be 150 pts, while mistings are only 50, and feruchemists 100).

If someone could work out a rough ratio between non-allos, mistings, and mistborn, it would be extremely helpful in determining how much the cost would be.

If we were to go along with these general numbers an obligator would cost the base 50 points that a misting costs plus, say an additional 25 points to buy the additional mental discipline feats needed.
I must not fear;
Fear is the mind killer;
I will face my fear;
Only I will remain.
-Paul Muad'dib Atreides-

-Me-

AvalonDreamer

• Level 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 24, 2008, 06:19:47 AM »
Obligator 25/50/75 - Each level purchased increases your rank as an Obligator of your canton and strengthens your will rolls?

*Evil grin*

Jabberman

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 24, 2008, 07:46:04 AM »
dude this is awesome

Vintage

• Level 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 24, 2008, 11:31:24 AM »
And the highest rank should be really higher and there you gain the wonderful and fabulous plane of being an Inquisitor.  :D

AvalonDreamer

• Level 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 24, 2008, 06:48:40 PM »
100 pts then at highest level? Inquisitor has nothing to do with rank as an obligator, though, they are just a type of obligator. Maybe have a requisite that they be second-rank Obligator, then make it cost... 100 more pts? or 150, since it's both a rank improvement and a new set of powers...

*Evil grin*

Vintage

• Level 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 27, 2008, 04:07:37 AM »
The books does say that Inquisitors choose the best, the most promising... recruits. Would it be possible that if you make a certain quantity of points in a very limited time, that you would get the Inquisitor grade as bonus ?

Hero of Ages

• Level 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 27, 2008, 07:10:02 AM »
The way I see the points working out for an obligator is: 50 points initially to become a misting, add 25 for a base obligator, and then to rank up as an obligator add 25 points for each rank increase.  I see 3 maybe 4 ranks to be achieved beyond the base obligator.  Total number of points to max out an obligator in ranks is 150-175 depending on the number of ranks allowed.  That is 75 points to become a base obligator and an additional 75-100 points to gain rank.

the recruitment to be an inquisitor would happen at the base level or rank 1 maybe 2, ranks 3 and 4 would be a no go because the rivalry between the obligators and inquisitors would be too ingrained.  To transition from obligator to inquisitor you would have to pay enough points to take your total points paid for your class to 175.  So if you are just a base obligator, you have paid only 75 points and would have to pay an additional 100 points to become an inquisitor.

I see inquisitors as being more rare than mistborn, and if mistborn cost 150 points as a base, inquisitors should cost 175.
I must not fear;
Fear is the mind killer;
I will face my fear;
Only I will remain.
-Paul Muad'dib Atreides-

-Me-

Andrew the Great

• Level 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 28, 2008, 05:49:06 AM »
I agree. Inquisitors should cost at least as much as feruchemists, if not mistborn. I  like the idea of having it be an advancement from obligators, though.

AvalonDreamer

• Level 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 28, 2008, 06:13:14 AM »
So are we looking at a 175 pt cost for Feruchemists too? Then have them be able to pour points into each metal to allow them to...? Ideas?

*Evil grin*