Poll

Would you be interested in fabricating, or just playing, a Mistborn PnPRPG?

Help make
1 (6.3%)
Play
2 (12.5%)
Both
11 (68.8%)
Not interested
2 (12.5%)

Total Members Voted: 16

Author Topic: Mistborn P&P RPG?  (Read 9220 times)

Andrew the Great

• Level 19
  • Fell Points: 0
  • If that never happened again, it would be too soon
    • View Profile
Re: Mistborn P&P RPG?
« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2008, 05:32:50 AM »
Inquisitors are a must, but we can't do much about them without knowing how exactly they work. Aside from that, still waiting on my books....
Sign on wall: "We're doing everything we can to get you to the math lab and get you help."
Random girl: "That explains so much about the way my professors have been teaching..."

"Look! I can play Mary had a little lamb on my rape whistle!"

Executor of Chaos' Opinions in the Event of His Absence

bhthomas

• Level 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2008, 05:43:51 AM »
Maybe inquisitors can be something a mistborn can become at a certain lvl like  class change.

AvalonDreamer

• Level 8
  • Boy Genius - Grown Up... Kinda.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 20, 2008, 06:28:45 AM »
Feruchemist class: gains access to a few levels to start, and proficiency in the others as they grow?

Inquisitors: We need to wait until MB3 to do more work on them, unless someone who's read it is willing to spill? Jk, wouldn't ask anyone to violate EUOL's trust. For now, I'd say they'll have a hefty level adjustment, at least. More in a bit.
My friends held an intervention, to stop my ridiculous plans to take over the world (Jake ended up in the hospital). I convinced them to let me take over other worlds though.

*Evil grin*

RIP: James Oliver Rigney, Jr.

Eudaimoniac

• Level 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 20, 2008, 09:18:18 AM »
As with every adaptation from book to any other media, we could make some small changes and not be entirely true to the story it is derived from. If we take kelsier and Vin and place them as the pinnacle of mistborn ability, a mistborn could start out extremely weak. Remember that Kelsier trained for a long time to achieve the skill Vin attained quickly.

So the players could be mistborn, just start out extremely weak. I know that we have talked D20 all along, but the rules from Vampire lets the players play vanpires, and have differens skillsets they can put points into at level-ups. So a mistborn would start with zero points in all metals, which gives the player only the weakest of abilities, but as they level up, they can distribute points among the different metals.

AvalonDreamer

• Level 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 21, 2008, 12:25:56 AM »
What's the base system Vampire is built from? I'll take a look at it. The only ones I've played/read up on are GURPS, d20/True20, and White Wolf's generic set. I've been thinking about how to go about doing it in all of those, and d20 seems to work best in my mind.

As for how you described Vampires, that works great for mistborn, but what about mistings? They'd only have a single power to put points into... And we still don't know how Inquisitors work. Argh.

Take a vote?
My friends held an intervention, to stop my ridiculous plans to take over the world (Jake ended up in the hospital). I convinced them to let me take over other worlds though.

*Evil grin*

Andrew the Great

• Level 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 21, 2008, 05:35:46 AM »
My vote is ignore mistings. No one is going to want to be a misting when they can be a mistborn. I vote that for now, we ignore inquisitors and add them when we know more about them. I vote that the points for the mistborn's ability is a really good idea. I think I'm now done voting.
Sign on wall: "We're doing everything we can to get you to the math lab and get you help."
Random girl: "That explains so much about the way my professors have been teaching..."

AvalonDreamer

• Level 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 21, 2008, 07:13:57 AM »
My original intent with a misting was to have them become great with thier ability, then have Mistborn be able to get 75% that in thier one good power, and 25% that good in all the rest. I do like the point idea, and it seems to be popular enough, so maybe we can take the vampire system and do a full revamp.

**Edit**
After reviewing the Vampire system, it seems to be pretty good, but has anyone looked at GURPS? It's generic base rules lay a fairly good ground, and we can model Mistborn/Feruchemy powers from the Supers books. Characters spend points to gain innate Str, IQ, Dex, and Health, as well as various advantages (ranging from having especially good vision, to never having to sleep; this category includes where they stand in the social chain), skills, and powers; likewise points can be recouped by taking disadvantages (curiosity, schitzophrenia, etc.).

New thoughts?
« Last Edit: May 21, 2008, 09:58:00 AM by AvalonDreamer »

*Evil grin*

Eudaimoniac

• Level 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 21, 2008, 02:22:20 PM »
I have not read up on GURPS, and know very little about vampire except from what i have already told. I merely liked the way vampire incorporated different skillsets.

As to the misting/mistborn, there is no reason not to have both. The way they are played will be up to style. The players could all be mistings working together and gaining experience in their ability, and in the end of the scenario/campaign, they are up against a mistborn or two.  If they work well together, they will be able to beat the mostborn(s) but if they throw themselves aimlessly at the mistborn(s) they will probably die. The whole idea can be turned on it's head - especially if the party of players are not big, or the group are somehow split. The players are mistborn and are confronted by a group of mistings that are working well together.

I see no reason to not incorporate both.

Inquisitors. We know next to nothing. There is nothing we can do at the moment.

AvalonDreamer

• Level 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 21, 2008, 08:47:10 PM »
Here are the rules for GURPS  - Steve Jackson Games regularly publishes this Lite version (which contains basic rules and such) as a free resourcee. Keep in mind that this PDF in whole or part, while free and subject to the open gaming license, is owned by Steve Jackson Games, Inc. I think that covers our bums from a legal perspective ^^.

http://e23.sjgames.com/item.html?id=SJG31-0004

(You have to 'buy' it, even though it's free... and never asks for an account... blegh.)
« Last Edit: May 21, 2008, 08:49:19 PM by AvalonDreamer »

*Evil grin*

Vintage

• Level 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 21, 2008, 08:53:29 PM »
Even if I don't know much I agree with Eudaimoniac. If you take out mistings and players are all mistborns... where is the challenge ? What scenario could make any story fun ? Actually, mistborn should be limited in quantity and roles should be taken on roll of dice. Only 20% could be Mistborn, same as Feruchemist, and the others all Mistings or skaa  :P as long as we do not have any more infos on Inquisitors, of course.

AvalonDreamer

• Level 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 21, 2008, 09:06:31 PM »
Within point-based systems like GURPS and Vampire, the problem of having too many Mistborn is solved easily - just make them cost obscene amounts to run, and have the same be for Feruchemists (Ex.: you start with 200 points to buy attributes, just to be a mistborn with basic abilities could be 150 pts, while mistings are only 50, and feruchemists 100).

If someone could work out a rough ratio between non-allos, mistings, and mistborn, it would be extremely helpful in determining how much the cost would be.

*Evil grin*

Vintage

• Level 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 21, 2008, 09:12:26 PM »
Well... we do see that Straff had one full Mistborn for 6 mistings. It could be the average, I guess. Also the House of Cett had only 1 misting and he had to "rent" from other houses to get a party to attack Vin - 1 mistborn and 7 mistings (not counting his own daughter which was not there, so that makes 8 mistings for 1 only mistborn) - on those only one Smoker, 3 or 4 Coinshots and I don't remember the others. Feruchemists are thought to be erased so they have to be very few.

AvalonDreamer

• Level 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 21, 2008, 09:23:55 PM »
2 Mistborn: 1 feruchemist: 16 mistings: 200(?) regular work for everyone then? That makes them 1%, .5%, and 8% of the population respectively.

*Evil grin*

Andrew the Great

• Level 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 22, 2008, 05:16:41 AM »
If you're going to go with the buying attributes thing, you ought to have mistborn cost 15 times as much as a misting, as he/she/it can burn 15 more metals. That would about do it. Feruchemists are even rarer, but I would put them just under mistborn in cost because it is a slightly less action-oriented power. Still to have that work, you'd have to have like 400 points to start, being a skaa costs 5, a misting costs 25, a mistborn costs 350, and a feruchemist costs 300. That would make it rather annoying to start as a mistborn until you learned a bit more about the game.

I like the ratios you give, Avalon, they seem to be pretty accurate.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2008, 07:46:20 PM by Andrew the Great »

Hero of Ages

• Level 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 22, 2008, 08:24:48 AM »
If you are talking about the entire population (skaa and nobles) those ratios seem about right, but If you are only including nobles I would put the ratios at 40-50% Mistings and 5-8% Mistborn.  Because of their "pure" bloodlines the chance of being either one is much, much higher and there are many more skaa than nobles.  Besides who would choose to play a character that is ordinary skaa or noble(neither misting, mistborn, feruchemist, or inquisitor)?

I would probably say that the ratio of inquisitors is about that of regular mistings, since you most likely have to be a misting to be an inquisitor (just the way I see it, not Canon from EUOL).  I came to this conclusion due to the prevalence of inquisitors in the noble society.

EDIT: 22 May 08, 11:36PM MDT
(It has come to my attention that I goofed.  Please substitute obligator for inquisitor in every case in the preceding post.)
« Last Edit: May 23, 2008, 06:42:12 AM by Hero of Ages »
I must not fear;
Fear is the mind killer;
I will face my fear;
I will let it pass through me;
When the fear is gone, there will be nothing;
Only I will remain.
-Paul Muad'dib Atreides-

Anticipation of death is worse than death itself.
-Me-