Author Topic: Could Use Some Help With My Computer  (Read 2598 times)

Archon

• Level 27
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Master of Newbie Smackdown
    • View Profile
Could Use Some Help With My Computer
« on: May 10, 2008, 05:54:23 AM »
So, I recently moved out of my apartment at college to my parent's house. My computer was disconnected for about a week before I got it all hooked up again, and now it says that the administrator has disabled access to the cd and dvd drives. I am pretty positive that it is not a hardware issue, because when I put in a dvd, the drive's name changes to the name of the dvd. However, there are large red x's over my drives in "my computer," and I can't access any of the cd's or dvd's that I put in. My account is the only one on my computer and I have administrative rights. In device manager, it lists both drives as enabled and working properly. At this point, I am guessing it has to be a virus, but I ran avast, and it didn't find anything. I plan to run ad-aware and spybot, just in case, but I don't expect that they will work. So, my options, as I see them at this point, are to run every free antivirus I can get my hands on, or I can reformat my hard drives. Does anybody have any alternatives, or bits of wisdom?
It is better to be hated for what you are than to be loved for what you are not. -Andre Gide
In the depth of winter, I finally discovered that within me there lay an invincible summer. -Albert Camus

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
Re: Could Use Some Help With My Computer
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2008, 01:28:18 PM »
Wow, I don't think I've ever seen that before.  I cannot even think of why having your computer disconnected for a week would do anything.

My google-fu brings up these possible causes:

AdminWorks from OSA Technologies, people have seen this kill their removibale storage.  I'm not sure why you would have this on your system (the client is something IT uses to see what's on each person's in the company's computer hardware wise), but if you do uninstall it.

Also check your running processes, if you see awserv.exe you've got the client installed.

----------------

Next check these two reg keys and delete the NoViewOnDrive value if it appears in either.

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\
CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer
and/or
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows
\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer
« Last Edit: May 10, 2008, 01:32:20 PM by Spriggan »
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

Archon

• Level 27
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2008, 06:43:44 AM »
Ok, so I figured out that I have awserv.exe running in the background, but I don't remember installing adminworks, I can't find it on my hard drive, and windows doesn't bring it up in the programs list, so I would guess that it's another program/virus doing the same thing. I have run avast, avg, ad-aware, and spybot at this point, and they found a lot of malware, but not the right one, apparently.

As for the other...
When I went to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\
CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer I found a "NoDriveTypeAutoRun" value. Should I delete that?

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows
\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer
For this, I found a "policies" folder, but I didn't find an explorer folder inside that.
It is better to be hated for what you are than to be loved for what you are not. -Andre Gide
In the depth of winter, I finally discovered that within me there lay an invincible summer. -Albert Camus

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2008, 10:02:15 PM »
No don't delete the autoRun reg value, that's just the CD player auto run settings.

If you think it's a virus have avast scan at boot time (before windows finishes loading), you can do this via the GUI controls

You can also prevent it from running by using msconfig and unchecking it.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

Archon

• Level 27
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2008, 07:13:06 PM »
So, apparently you were right the first time. Adminworks was installed on my computer, but it was part of another program, which is why I didn't find it right away. Apparently it was part of a program that my brother installed on my computer this last summer. We were trying to figure out a way to increase my fan speed, because my processor runs hotter than normal. I have no idea why it decided to wait until now to disable my drives, because it claimed that the last time it was modified was way back in March. So, I uninstalled that, and now my drives are working again. Anyway, thanks a lot Sprig, I really appreciate the help.