Author Topic: i can has toys?  (Read 7677 times)

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
i can has toys?
« on: April 28, 2008, 04:01:33 PM »
So Marvel's Toy Biz... having given up making toys for Marvel properties in order that Hasbro could do a craptacular job (ok, they didn't do SO bad on the first series, but hte second series is HORRIBLE and they haven't moved on yet) has done something cool

And they did it behind my back without letting me know.

It's beyond cool, actually. But well... They've making figures of non-Marvel/DC comics. The "Pitt" series has Madman (wheeeeeeeee!) and Witchblade (hot!) and Superpatriot (meh) and Judge Dredd (:hyper:) and Ripclaw (pretty ok) and The Savage Dragon (yeee!). And the build-a-figure is The Pitt (complete with little weird kid). *THAT* build-a-fig is one I'll buy figures I'm only "meh" about to make. The Marvel toy lines haven't done one like that in a long, long time. (really, Mojo? Modok? Gah. )

anyway, I am pleased. With four out of 6 figures worth owning just because the character is cool, and one of the remaining two being really awesome looking, I'm excited about toys again!

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
Re: i can has toys?
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2008, 01:39:02 PM »
Clearly no one else cares, but after looking at a number sites, and realizing that the $6/fig sale at Kaybee was half off, and that people were charging TWENTY bones for Judge Dredd, I went back to the mall and bought up the set. They had two Judge Dredds, so I bought both, one to sell. I now have THE PITT!

And on top  of th $6/fig price, the clearanced items were buy 3 get 1 free. So I also got a few DC figures from the Superman world. Not a bad haul.

The temptation I managed to resist was the Classic Monster figures. Dracula, Wolfman, Mummy, Creature from the Black Lagoon... and the build-a-fig in the set is, of course, Frankenstein.
But I'm an addict, so I may end up back there to buy them anyway....

Azhev

• Level 5
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Wanderer of my own little world
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2008, 05:57:51 PM »
I take it you are a big collector of action figures, Ehlers?  What other types do you collect?  Or am I unleashing a can of worms by asking?
"The ending of a book is, in my experience, both the best and the worst part to read.  For the ending will often decide whethet you love or hate the book."

-Alcatraz Smedry, Alcatraz Versus the Evil Librarians, p262

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2008, 01:28:00 PM »
I'm more of a medium collector. I don't *have* to have something. But when I find them cheaply available as a group, or happen upon a good set, I get excited.

In my office I have four GI Joe figures, 3 transformers, a dozen Star Wars figures (almost all of them Jedi, but  really good Boba Fett too) and Darth Vader's TIE Fighter, the above mentioned indie supers, 3 TMNT figs, 2 Hasbro manufactured Marvel figs (Green Goblin 2 and Iron Man), and 9 DC Comics figures -- the prize of which is the Elseworlds Green Lantern from Red Son, though I must also give props to the silver age Lois Lane in superhero outfit.

At home I have a lot more GI Joes, a few more Transformers, and at least as man Star Wars figs. The bulk of the home collection are Toy Biz era Marvel figs. I have at least 2/3 of the figs from the Legendary Heroes lines. Which leads to 2 of my favorite figs: Galactus and Sentinel -- both build a figs from the glory days of Toy Biz
(my other two favorites would be an 18" tall Godzilla made in '77, a throw back to my young childhood, and a 12" Spidey with something like a billion points of articulation). There's a few Pirates of the Caribbean in there and a smattering of other toys.

Really I'm open to any toy line I see. I almost got into Barbies, actually, when my oldest daughter was yet an infant and there were Barbies out in costume as DC female characters -- Poison Ivy, Wonder Woman, and the like. Girl toys obviously need to have a strong connection to something geeky.

Toys I don't generally like: McFarlane sculpts. Yeah, they look real pretty, but if they articulate at ALL it's crappy articulation. I don't want a plastic sculpture. THat defeats the point of toys. Also, most goofy renditions of cool characters. I don't need Darth Tater, for example. The preschool, "chibi" star wars figures war between too goofy and just cute enough for me. I have managed to refrain from buying them yet, though I've seen some I want. Especially since they came out with an Iron Man set that's awesome (one package, four different Iron Man variations) I've had a harder time.

http://www.robandelliot.cycomics.com/archive.php?id=28
« Last Edit: May 19, 2008, 06:27:55 PM by The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers »

Azhev

• Level 5
  • Wanderer of my own little world
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2008, 04:07:43 AM »
Sounds like quite the collection. I am quiet impressed. I'm a little jealous.

I have to admit, I like my toys too. My wife just kinda sighs, shakes her head, and smiles at me when I bring something home.  My nephews love the fact that I have more Transformers and Bionicle sets than they do.  Not to mention the 20 or so Star Wars Titanium vehicles on my bookcase.

Who says you have to grow up?  ;D
"The ending of a book is, in my experience, both the best and the worst part to read.  For the ending will often decide whethet you love or hate the book."

-Alcatraz Smedry, Alcatraz Versus the Evil Librarians, p262

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2008, 12:59:13 PM »
This week I was at the beach and during my souvenier shopping I found the coolest thing ever.
And anthro-morphic Rhinoceros weilding a halbard with a huge sword strapped to his back.

And I thought, this would be awesome at 6" and articulated.

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2008, 09:07:31 PM »
what's cooler then a shop selling real anthro-morphic rhinos with weapons?  I would have bought 3
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2008, 12:52:26 PM »
Unfortunately, there was only one. And I did buy it. Just as a reminder.

Gemm: Rock & Roll Star; Born to Rock

• Level 57
  • I Am Your Worst Nightmare's Dream
    • View Profile
    • Perfect
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2008, 04:44:01 PM »
We need a picture of this thing. Can you do that for us?
“NOTHING IS TRUE. EVERYTHING IS PERMITTED.”
                William S. Burroughs

“Who needs girls when you’ve got comics?”
                Grant Morrison’s Flex Mentallo

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2008, 01:51:44 PM »
i'll try to remember when I'm at home.

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2008, 01:36:59 PM »
so during my weekly mecca to the Target toy department (I got Bumblebee) I realized something.

With the action figures for the new IJ film, they have Soviet soldiers. But in conjunction, they've also started action figures for the previous films. So you can get Nazi soldiers. Now you too can buy hordes of toys and play out the greatest battle between evil superpowers ever!

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2008, 02:47:14 PM »
Yesterday I had an interview at the Stake Center, but I was called on my way and told it was going to be up to half an hour late. Since I was almost there and the Stake Center isn't nearly as close as it would be if I lived in, say, Utah, I instead stopped at the comic store. I picked up some new figures.

Batwoman (from the storyline 52), Superwoman (from an alternate uiverse), and Elseworld's Finest Batgirl. Yay!
These purchases make me want to get the figure for Batman Beyond (yes, it's real) and Batzarro (Bizarro's best friend, the World's Worst Detective). And the one I can't believe I didn't buy, Red Son Superman, who could go up against the Red Son Green Lantern I already have.

Gemm: Rock & Roll Star; Born to Rock

• Level 57
  • I Am Your Worst Nightmare's Dream
    • View Profile
    • Perfect
« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2008, 06:21:22 PM »
Umm... want pictures. Yesterday.
“NOTHING IS TRUE. EVERYTHING IS PERMITTED.”
                William S. Burroughs

“Who needs girls when you’ve got comics?”
                Grant Morrison’s Flex Mentallo

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2008, 08:18:49 PM »

I haven't ever brought the rhino in to work, and I haven't remembered while at home, but since the figures are here and I have my web cam...

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2008, 06:17:17 PM »
I gots a webcam pic of the rhinoceros finally.