4 (4.7%)
Gray Man
0 (0%)
Gholam
1 (1.2%)
Fade
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 85

Author Topic: Wheel v. Mist  (Read 31139 times)

Czanos

• Level 7
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Wheel v. Mist
« Reply #120 on: December 13, 2008, 05:04:21 AM »
Okay, with the release of Cadmium and Cerrobend, we have an (Almost.) complete understanding of how Allomancy works. Honestly, I think those two metals change things a lot. Channeling may be very, very useful, but the ability to slow down or speed up time? That would make any person's life that much easier. A Slider burning Cerrobend could do who knows what with all of that extra time. A Pulser, while not nearly as useful, could still make those dull moments trickle by faster.  Either of those two metals would be enough to push me into a Mistborn.

As for a one-on-one fight, I think these metals would give an immense advantage, however I don't know if it would singularly be enough to push the fight one way or another. I think it would depend a lot on how much one could warp time, and how it interacted with other metals. Would a Pulser be able to see Electrum shadows more clearly, as the slowed time means less possibilities? Or would a Slider be able to see them more clearly, as once they left the bubble they would slow down? Would some of the shadows be easier to see as the shadows stopped burning metals?

Anyways, I think this topic deserves reconsideration now that we have almost all of the facts. (The only things left that I see are flaring, metal interactions, and savants, but those are mostly easy to guess.)
I came because I heard stories, tales of a lengendary man.
A man who was known as the Lord of the Mists, a man they named Survivor.
A man called Hope.

Reaves

• Level 23
  • Fell Points: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: December 13, 2008, 07:07:07 AM »
Also a pulser would be able to move a lot faster as opposed to someone outside the bubble. It depends on how much time is sped up, but I don't think it would be impossible to dodge bullets as a Pulser.
Quote from: VegasDev
RJF: "AHA! You fell victim to one of the classic blunders! The most famous is never get involved in a land war in Cairhien, but only slightly less well-known is this: never go in against a warder when he is only the distraction! Get him Rand! Buzzzzzzz!

alSeen

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: February 28, 2009, 01:45:16 AM »
of course channeling is the best. Mist is good but WoT channelers are insane!

LauraOrganaSolo

• Level 2
  • Smile, God loves you.
    • View Profile
    • Eien no Yume
« Reply #123 on: March 04, 2009, 08:55:25 PM »
Now that Brandon is writing A Memory of Light, I was wondering which of those groups people liked best and why. I think it'd be interesting to see how the groups stack up against each other.
WoT is incredibly epic and very interesting but if I had my way, I'd have Sanderson not just write Memory of Light but re-write the entire WoT series.

I first picked up WoT after I finished re-reading the LotR books and devouring a bunch of Forgotten Realms stuff and although I enjoyed it, I found WoT highly derivative and with dangerous levels of Gary Stu. And as much as I enjoy the massive quantity of details, I think it has caused it drag on far too long.

What immediately drew me to the Mistborn series was how it turned the genre on its head (that epic journey the hero went on to defeat the big bad evil overlord? Yeah he lost. A thousand years ago.)

I could go on about this for hours, but I feel guilty bad-mouthing WoT. And the many pages of this thread have nothing to do with the question that was asked. :B

Comfortable Madness

• Level 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: March 04, 2009, 10:29:00 PM »
Now that Brandon is writing A Memory of Light, I was wondering which of those groups people liked best and why. I think it'd be interesting to see how the groups stack up against each other.
WoT is incredibly epic and very interesting but if I had my way, I'd have Sanderson not just write Memory of Light but re-write the entire WoT series.

Hands down the most absurd thing I have ever read on these boards. I love Sanderson's work but seriously?...Gaaah...The more I think on this the more obscene it becomes!!!
« Last Edit: March 04, 2009, 10:34:55 PM by Comfortable Madness »
“I will never serve you, Father of Lies. In a thousand lives, I never have. I know that. I’m sure of it. Come. It is time to die.” Rand al'Thor

"Mourn if you must. But mourn on the march to Tarmon Gai'don." Logain Ablar

LauraOrganaSolo

• Level 2
  • Smile, God loves you.
    • View Profile
    • Eien no Yume
« Reply #125 on: March 05, 2009, 12:24:52 AM »
Sorry. :- ( For comparison, IMO Wheel of Time is like Star Wars or Stark Trek -- it's really cool, it's enjoyable but it's not... exceptional, high-quality stuff.

Another example: one of my favorite anime is a juvenile two season soap opera epic called Fushigi Yuugi. I love it to pieces. I can't watch it without crying. But really, it's not a "good" series unless you're a fourteen year-old girl.

That's how Wheel of Time is to me. Elantris and Mistborn on the other hand strike me as actual serious quality works.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2009, 01:07:33 AM by LauraOrganaSolo »

Reaves

• Level 23
  • Fell Points: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: March 05, 2009, 12:40:24 AM »
Sorry. :- ( For comparison, IMO Wheel of Time is like Star Wars or Stark Trek -- it's really cool, it's enjoyable but it's not... exceptional, high-quality, high-brow stuff.

Another example: one of my favorite anime is a juvenile two season soap opera epic called Fushigi Yuugi. I love it to pieces. I can't watch it without crying. But really, it's not a "good" series unless you're a fourteen year-old girl.

That's how Wheel of Time is to me. Elantris and Mistborn on the other hand strike me as actual serious quality stuff.

Yeah...we'll have to fix that for you.
Quote from: VegasDev
RJF: "AHA! You fell victim to one of the classic blunders! The most famous is never get involved in a land war in Cairhien, but only slightly less well-known is this: never go in against a warder when he is only the distraction! Get him Rand! Buzzzzzzz!

LauraOrganaSolo

• Level 2
  • Smile, God loves you.
    • View Profile
    • Eien no Yume
« Reply #127 on: March 05, 2009, 01:04:56 AM »
Please don't hate me. :B I'm going to read the series a second time soon, maybe I'll change my mind.

Rrikor

• Level 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: March 05, 2009, 03:35:02 PM »
Don't worry.  We will only hate you until you are done with the reread :D.  J/K.  I have tried to get alot of people to read WoT but it seams to be a love/hate thing.  People either love the books or can't stand the detailed writing style.  You are actually the first person who is in the middle that I have met.

Randombychance

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: March 06, 2009, 10:59:43 AM »
Yes in  a straight up, 2 people standing in a field fight the advantage is to the channeler (of any stripe).  The mistborn really only has a chance if his dagger is in the channelers throat about three seconds before the channeler realizes someone has a problem with him. 

However, I still chose mistborn...

The one justification for a choice i have yet to see in this thread is, "What would be more fun to be?"
Yes Channelers are powerful ( though as someone pointed out, not that creative)  However, nothing they can do really gives you a rush.  Sure throw some balefire here, warp time and space there, but would that leave you feeling light headed and giddy like using steel and iron to navigate a spike way, basically flying? That is so much mroe life affirming.  Admit it, everyone reading this has at some point had a daydream about flying, and i honestly doubt someone thought it was a bad idea.   
(disclaimer: Yes is this is my first post on the forums, and yes i realize that sometimes i just do not feel like capitalizing, especially that accursed letter i)
« Last Edit: March 06, 2009, 11:01:46 AM by Randombychance »
All human actions have one or more of these seven causes: chance, nature, compulsion, habit, reason, passion, and desire. -Aristotle (Admit it, everyone of you counted to make sure there were 7!)

Rrikor

• Level 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: March 09, 2009, 02:33:34 PM »
Channelers used to be able to fly.  At least in the age of legends.  We will see if that talent is rediscovered.

douglas

• Level 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: March 09, 2009, 03:10:35 PM »
I'm pretty sure they used airplanes, not channeling, to fly.

I suspect that flying by channeling is possible, but no one's thought of the key principle involved - don't try to pick yourself up, try to push the ground down instead.

Rrikor

• Level 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: March 09, 2009, 03:16:53 PM »
I thought at some point it was mentioned that they could fly (not airplanes) but lost the ability over the years.  It was in the same section about the lecture of not picking yourself up with air I think.  I guess I will find out soon as I will be starting my reread in a week or so.   I just need to finish my current book.

Wolfstar

• Level 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: March 11, 2009, 07:38:24 PM »
I picked Wolfbrother, not because they're the strongest or the most skilled, but because Perrin and Elyas are two of my favorite WoT characters.
You can think without acting and you can act without thinking... but which is worse?

Rrikor

• Level 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: March 11, 2009, 08:32:02 PM »
I love the idea of wolf brothers.  They are one of my favorite characters.  Alco, like male channelers they have to fight to keep there sanity, or in this case humanity, and not go entirely wolf.  Access to the dreamworld and the wolves living in the dream world after death is very interesting too.  My only question to that is how come the dream world is not full of wolves that have died over ther years.  Have they been reborn like the heroes of past ages or do they just pass out of that world at some point as well.  I can't see the slayer reducing there numbers that much.