Author Topic: Vin as HOA?  (Read 37481 times)

darxbane

• Level 17
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Vin as HOA?
« Reply #60 on: May 12, 2008, 09:51:54 PM »
I doubt that.  That wouldn't be nearly as much fun as him giving us the missing piece and all of us going "oh, now I see!  I can't believe I didn't think of that before!"
I wanted to write something profound here, but I couldn't think of anything.

AvalonDreamer

• Level 8
  • Boy Genius - Grown Up... Kinda.
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: May 12, 2008, 10:55:18 PM »
The twist - it was all a dream.
My friends held an intervention, to stop my ridiculous plans to take over the world (Jake ended up in the hospital). I convinced them to let me take over other worlds though.

*Evil grin*

RIP: James Oliver Rigney, Jr.

Chaos

• Administrator
  • Level 36
  • Fell Points: 3
  • The Original Hero of Ages
    • View Profile
    • Eric Lake
« Reply #62 on: May 13, 2008, 06:13:08 AM »
Well, of course, the logbook in the epigraphs is accurate. I'm saying we can't really trust whatever it said in MB2.
www.17thshard.com - The Official Brandon Sanderson Fansite.

Oh SNAP, I'm an Allomancer.

darxbane

• Level 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: May 13, 2008, 02:57:11 PM »
Did any of it change between the two books? We can always go back and check.
I wanted to write something profound here, but I couldn't think of anything.

Vintage

• Level 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: May 14, 2008, 01:47:45 AM »
I was under the impression, reading MB1, that the logbook was way bigger than the extracts Brandon left us to read. But, why not. I'll check that too.

Vambram

• Level 2
    • View Profile
    • My Multiply page
« Reply #65 on: May 14, 2008, 11:59:43 PM »
I was under the impression, reading MB1, that the logbook was way bigger than the extracts Brandon left us to read. But, why not. I'll check that too.

Yeah, thats the same impression that I got also about that logbook.  It would be great if Brandon would get around to publishing the rest, or more of, that logbook when he gets the time to do so after completing MOL and his other book projects.
Death is as Light as a Feather;
but Duty is as Heavy as a Mountain

Vintage

• Level 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: May 15, 2008, 02:07:03 PM »
I compiled all of Alendi's logbook that we could find in MB1. Hum... I still don't have my precious copy back, so I bought a paper cover for the mean time lol  I am now ready to reread (a 3rd time lol) MB2 to compare what Vin is getting out of there... but like Chaos said, if Kwaan's steel plate doesn't confirm it, I would not put too much trust into it. Maybe the logbook served only for one purpose. To tell us that a certain Alendi existed once...

Comatose

• Level 19
  • Fell Points: 1
  • A Shard of Adonalsium
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: May 16, 2008, 06:31:46 AM »
The log book entries that are missing are mostly things about the weather and army statistics and the like, Vin says the book is mostly made up of that, and the sections we read are ALendi's internal ramblings
I think the log book can be trusted, and I didn't notice any change, I could be wrong though, but I'm pretty sure there wasn't, I'm also sure that the book can be trusted throughout book one.
I keep remembering the epigraph before the ebilogue of MB1, it seems out of place.  I'm pretty sure I wrote more on that on another thread...
"Look, I'm just trying to change the world, okay?  I don't have time for a grudge match with every poser in a parka!"
- Dr. Horrible

"There's always another secret..."
- Kelsier

Comatose

• Level 19
  • A Shard of Adonalsium
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: July 16, 2008, 10:43:47 PM »
Sorry for double posting, just trying to bump this thread back up to the top, since we need it again.
For anyone new, we're continuing a conversation here from the "Rashek hatred not misplaced," thread on who the hero of ages is, and a bit of conversation about the prophecies in the books.  You should also check out the Vin's mom thread, it has some good prophecy references, and to everyone else, let's get both those conversations streaming on to this thread, so things are a bit easier.  A quick recap, our three candidates so far for hero of ages are Vin, Elend, and Sazed.

Missed anything guys?

« Last Edit: July 16, 2008, 10:45:54 PM by Comatose »
"Look, I'm just trying to change the world, okay?  I don't have time for a grudge match with every poser in a parka!"
- Dr. Horrible

- Kelsier

Qarlin

• Level 8
  • The idiotic cock-eyed flum-dummery!
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: July 17, 2008, 12:00:14 AM »
Anyone ever find out if anyone on the crew has a birthmark or two on their arms. Spook even?

Comatose

• Level 19
  • A Shard of Adonalsium
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: July 17, 2008, 02:32:23 AM »
Spook is an interesting choice to bring up, I've been hoping to see more of him, and I'm excited to see he has a viewpoint, his character development, is not quite done, he need to make up for his cowardice in book 2.  And he still needs to find himself a woman, I think him and Allriane might get together if things don't work out with breeze, but then again, who knows?
I do know one character with marks on BOTH of his arms, but then, he's dead.
Could Kelsier have been the hero of ages?
- Dr. Horrible

- Kelsier

MajSpike

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: July 17, 2008, 06:40:21 AM »
This is from the Mistborn Prologue Part One Annotation:
Somewhere in the italicized pre-chapter blurb of the prologue here is the clue one needs to figure out the over-arching mystery of the entire series. If you figure it out, good for you! If you don't, you'll have to wait until the last chapter of the final book to get it explained. . . .

Here is the logbook entry:
Sometimes, I worry that I'm not the hero everyone thinks I am.
The philosophers assure me that this is the time, that the signs have been met. But I still wonder if they have the wrong man. So many people depend on me. They say I will hold the future of the entire world on my arms.
What would they think if they new their champion-the Hero of Ages, their savior-doubted himself? Perhaps they wouldn't be shocked at all. In a way, this is what worries me most. Maybe, in their hearts, they wonder-just as I do.
When they see me, do they see a liar?

What, if any, connection is there between the "over-arching mystery of the entire series", who/what the Hero of Ages is, and this specific logbook entry?

According to the logbook we know Alendi heard the 'thumpings' and saw the Mist Spirit. These were things none of his traveling companions were aware of. It is assumed that Alendi was the Hero of Ages, even though he didn't do anything at the Well and it was Rashek who took the power. Alendi was quoted from the logbook as saying "If there are prophecies, if there is a Hero of Ages, then my mind whispers that there must be something directing my path. Something is watching; something cares. These peaceful whispers tell me a truth I very much want to believe.
If I fail, another shall come to finish my work."
Vin is aware of the same things as Alendi was. Would it not make sense for Vin to be the Hero of Ages reincarnate?

Comatose

• Level 19
  • A Shard of Adonalsium
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: July 17, 2008, 05:17:34 PM »
You should read the end part of the Rashek hatred... thread, as well as Vin's mom thread, there were some interesting hero discussions going on there, we even discussed that particualr annotation.
WE believe that Vin heard the thumpings of the well because of her Hemalurgic earring, ALendi also had "piercings of the hero," which could have been similar, allowing him the hear the thumping.   There is doubt to whether Alendi himself was actually the hero, Kwaan says this himself.  I don' think we can pick Vin as the hero solely for this similarity.
We've been looking at that first logbook entry as well, as it apparently has the key to the overarching mystery, and what Vintage picked out is that it says: I will hold the future of the entire world ON my arms.  We thought this wording was strange, and then I found a passage in Kwaan's steel plate, that says one of the signs that ALendi was the hero was the birthmark ON HIS ARM.  We're not sure if this is connected, as the first bit says arms, and this says arm.  There is also a passage that says ALendi knows that he cannot take the power for himself for he has SEEN what will happen if he does, meaning Alendi may be able to see the FUTURE or possible futures.  There is also another one, where Alendi says he has confronted the mind of the Deepness directly, and I wonder if this means he was able to talk to Ruin.
- Dr. Horrible

- Kelsier

Andrew the Great

• Level 19
  • If that never happened again, it would be too soon
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: July 17, 2008, 05:33:47 PM »
I have one problem with this, coma. It says, "I will hold the future of the entire world on my arms." WILL HOLD. Not do hold. So I don't think this really refers to a birthmark, which he has had since....birth. It makes more sense that Alendi will be getting something in the future for his arms, whether it be a hemalurgical piercing, or anything else, really. It makes more sense that Alendi is getting some really, cool really powerful object, or something that gives him knowledge of Ruin and Preservation, etc, etc, etc. Not thinking it refers to the birthmark, which is probably just one of the other signs of the hero. Unless we are theorizing that his birthmark somehow gives him power?
Sign on wall: "We're doing everything we can to get you to the math lab and get you help."
Random girl: "That explains so much about the way my professors have been teaching..."

"Look! I can play Mary had a little lamb on my rape whistle!"

Executor of Chaos' Opinions in the Event of His Absence

Comatose

• Level 19
  • A Shard of Adonalsium
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: July 17, 2008, 05:37:39 PM »
Yes that is true.
Perhaps the the birthmark changes to show the future, and hasn't been activated yet?
That was pretty weak, I know.
I dunno, it just seems like quite the coincidence, but maybe it is just that!  A coincidence!
On another note, Alendi says he confronted the mind of the deepness directly, and it is indeed sentient.  What does that mean for us?
- Dr. Horrible

- Kelsier