Author Topic: These Stupid Titles VI  (Read 140538 times)

MrPaperCamel

• Level 12
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Camel Superiority
    • View Profile
Re: These Stupid Titles VI
« Reply #525 on: December 01, 2008, 07:56:44 PM »
I am confused now. Weren't we fighting you? Now you are our beneficiary? Der-bluh?
If it's not on fire, it's usually a software problem.

darxbane

• Level 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #526 on: December 01, 2008, 08:02:41 PM »
What kind of Almsgiver are you if you get paid?  Doesn't that contradict the giver part?  While I am at it, why did your accent change with your title?  Do all Almsgivers acquire a Cockney accent? 
I wanted to write something profound here, but I couldn't think of anything.

firstRainbowRose

• Level 18
  • Fell Points: 1
  • So pretty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #527 on: December 01, 2008, 08:04:30 PM »
Woah, I leveled.  When did I level?

The accent was originally there.  I comes and it goes as I hang out with people who have one and those who don't.  It's kind of a natives thing.  *wink*
"The custom of royalty in referring to oneself is to naturally employ the royal 'we'.  We are very happy, we are very sad, we are bored and suffer from ennui.  For a royal prince there's no such word as 'me', It's always 'we'.  So rightfully I should be two or three, don't you agree?"

Loud_G

• Level 11
  • Drawer of Dragons
    • View Profile
    • George the Dragon
« Reply #528 on: December 01, 2008, 09:15:59 PM »
Sounds like me...I often slip into any of a number of different UK accents if I'm goofing off or not paying attention... :D
George the Dragon   <---- My webcomic. 

WARNING:
Features a very silly dragon. Hilarity MAY ensue.

firstRainbowRose

• Level 18
  • So pretty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #529 on: December 01, 2008, 09:20:26 PM »
I really do that without thinking about it.  I have a natrual accent (I've been told I sound like I'm everywhere from the phillipense to the uk) which really I have NO IDEA where it came from.  But because of it if I'm around anyone from europe I will pick up their accents without even realizing I'm doing it.  I hate it because I worry they think I"m making fun of them.
"The custom of royalty in referring to oneself is to naturally employ the royal 'we'.  We are very happy, we are very sad, we are bored and suffer from ennui.  For a royal prince there's no such word as 'me', It's always 'we'.  So rightfully I should be two or three, don't you agree?"

darxbane

• Level 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #530 on: December 01, 2008, 10:28:21 PM »
Don't you hate that?  It only happens to me when I speak to someone from England or the Southern U.S.  I have no idea why. 
I wanted to write something profound here, but I couldn't think of anything.

Reaves

• Level 23
    • View Profile
« Reply #531 on: December 02, 2008, 12:54:30 AM »
Lol same to me, although so far its only happened when someone has an English accent.
Quote from: VegasDev
RJF: "AHA! You fell victim to one of the classic blunders! The most famous is never get involved in a land war in Cairhien, but only slightly less well-known is this: never go in against a warder when he is only the distraction! Get him Rand! Buzzzzzzz!

Necroben

• Level 14
  • What use the ability to read if one never uses it?
    • View Profile
« Reply #532 on: December 02, 2008, 01:24:06 AM »
Being Southern, I have that happen to me all the time. :-[
I don't suffer from insanity...  I enjoy every minuet of it!

It's ok to be strange, as long as it's on paper. :)

GreenMonsta

• Level 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #533 on: December 02, 2008, 03:40:25 AM »
Lets not even talk about accents. Being from Boston every one looks at me funny when I talk. When I was at Fort Jackson South Carolina and Fort Sill Oklahoma people would bring their families over just to have me talk in front of then. They would ask me to say things like "car, bar, cigar, retard, beer, weird and string them together to make funny sentences. After a while being a novelty becomes irritating. I will tell you that going other places I never start using other accents. I have a hard enough time trying to speak with out my own. Even though I can speak without it there are times when I slip and don't even realize.
"No signs of anything that could cause even a slight case of death"

"He's a paraplegic whats he gonna do, bite us?"

Necroben

• Level 14
  • What use the ability to read if one never uses it?
    • View Profile
« Reply #534 on: December 02, 2008, 04:29:17 AM »
My wife tells me I get real country if I'm mad.  Most of the time I can keep it under wraps (lots of people say they can't tell where I'm from), but some of my family sound just like "Larry the cable guy" and just as dumb! :o

Many are strait out of "You might be a Redneck if..."

My wife's family is from upstate NewYork and I catch a lot of grief when I say Y'all.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2008, 04:31:18 AM by Necrobells will be ringing »
I don't suffer from insanity...  I enjoy every minuet of it!

It's ok to be strange, as long as it's on paper. :)

GreenMonsta

• Level 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #535 on: December 02, 2008, 04:48:23 AM »
What about yonder? I mean the word has no limits. It could mean across the room or it could mean over the horizon. I dont know, I usually just end up being dubed a Yankee and being from Boston that isn't the best thing.

This just goes to show that our little militia has a diverse background. Not only that but we now have royal backing and that means funds for our preparations.
"No signs of anything that could cause even a slight case of death"

"He's a paraplegic whats he gonna do, bite us?"

MrPaperCamel

• Level 12
  • Camel Superiority
    • View Profile
« Reply #536 on: December 02, 2008, 04:55:34 AM »
I grew up in Queens and live in AZ. I understand a lot of what everyone is talking about. I literally cannot say Coffee without someone looking at me. And there are all kinds of weird words changes that I had to go through

Wagons are now Shopping Carts
Sacks are now Bags
Chop Meat is now Ground Beef
If it's not on fire, it's usually a software problem.

CthulhuKefka

• Level 15
    • View Profile
    • My Facebook
« Reply #537 on: December 02, 2008, 08:47:16 AM »
Bubbler= Water Fountain.

Always my favorite.

I don't have a natural Boston accent, but it comes out when I'm really, really tired or really, really drunk. /shrug

Reaves

• Level 23
    • View Profile
« Reply #538 on: December 02, 2008, 11:38:23 PM »
wow you really used to  say wagon? That is so awesome.
Quote from: VegasDev
RJF: "AHA! You fell victim to one of the classic blunders! The most famous is never get involved in a land war in Cairhien, but only slightly less well-known is this: never go in against a warder when he is only the distraction! Get him Rand! Buzzzzzzz!

The Jade Knight

• Level 39
  • Lord of the Absent-Minded
    • View Profile
    • Don't go here
« Reply #539 on: December 02, 2008, 11:56:12 PM »
Monsta & Snow:  There's no such thing as "no accent".  What you think of as "no accent" is probably a Western/Midwestern US accent ("Standard" US accent used to be Midwestern, but it's been shifting to a pure Western lately.  The two aren't THAT different, though).  So you have an accent, whether you realize (/accept) it or not.

But I, too, always pick up the accents of whoever I talk to.  It's funny.  I'll pick up British accents, Canadian accents, Australian accents… even non-native accents like Mexican and French ones, without even meaning to.  Sometimes I feel bad when I do this with a non-native speaker, though, as I'm worried they'll feel like I'm mocking them (I'm not, I just adapt my accent naturally to whomever I'm speaking to).
"Never argue with a fool; they'll bring you down to their level, and then beat you with experience."