Author Topic: Sympathetic towards....the Lord Ruler?*Spoilers*  (Read 8119 times)

JCHancey

• Level 8
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Formerly known as Jakobus
    • View Profile
Re: Sympathetic towards....the Lord Ruler?*Spoilers*
« Reply #30 on: July 11, 2008, 12:51:46 AM »
But where is preservation? Kandra are of preservation, but are they far off when they say that mistborn are of ruin?
RJF: "I spit upon the ground where you no longer ever existed."

Reaves

• Level 23
  • Fell Points: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 11, 2008, 01:03:08 AM »
No Ruin was definitely still chained in the Well. Remember from the MB2 epigraphs, Kwaan was like "we must stop him before he can release the power in there" sry i cannot give exact quotes.
Quote from: VegasDev
RJF: "AHA! You fell victim to one of the classic blunders! The most famous is never get involved in a land war in Cairhien, but only slightly less well-known is this: never go in against a warder when he is only the distraction! Get him Rand! Buzzzzzzz!

Czanos

• Level 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 11, 2008, 01:10:10 AM »
Preservation is helping the Lord Ruler preserve things would be my guess. With the Lord Ruler in complete control, Preservation is basically given free reign to preserve everything it can, thus leading to the stagnation of society others have mentioned.

Also, perhaps it is not Mistborn who are of Ruin, but humans in general. Humans were around far before the Ascension, and so could have been created by Ruin long before he was imprisoned.

I forgot about that quote, Reaves, and now that I think about it, it might have just been more of what went on before Vin freed Ruin. Nobody went to the Well though, so Ruin slowly started seeping around the edges, changing metalminds and sending the deepness upon the world. Without a Hero of Ages to take the power in the Well and use it themselves, Ruin could possibly tap slightly into it and use it to weaken his prison. Then Rashek went to the Well, took the power, re-imprisoned Ruin as strong as ever, and sat back to wait for the next time he would need to go to the Well of Ascension.
I came because I heard stories, tales of a lengendary man.
A man who was known as the Lord of the Mists, a man they named Survivor.
A man called Hope.

JCHancey

• Level 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 11, 2008, 01:14:00 AM »
We don't hear anything from Ruin until after TLR is killed, he could be the 'seal' to the prison.
I have suggested that just the mistborn are of ruin from TenSoon saying that 'we kandra are of preservation and you are of ruin' I still kind of believe this idea, support comes from the mistborn being able to control the Koloss, but I digress. TLR was the lock on Ruin, with him gone Ruin could begin manipulating the world once again.

Andrew the Great

• Level 19
  • If that never happened again, it would be too soon
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 11, 2008, 01:44:49 AM »
I don't know that everyone here will have seen it, but a while back we discussed this and we decided that it's highly possible that the kandra are not actually of preservation and humans are not actually of ruin. We have one source saying this, and it is a kandra. So it's highly possible that TenSoon is mislead, either because the kandra as a whole want to believe that, and hold it as mythology, or because TenSoon himself personally believes that and is wrong.

It's also been theorized that the lord ruler didn't create the Koloss or the Kandra, either. The reason for this is that kandra would seem to be of preservation, and koloss would seem to be of ruin. Yet, theoretically, the lord ruler created both of them with only one of the two forces.

And I think that Ruin could manipulate the world before the lord ruler was gone, just not to as much of a degree.
Sign on wall: "We're doing everything we can to get you to the math lab and get you help."
Random girl: "That explains so much about the way my professors have been teaching..."

"Look! I can play Mary had a little lamb on my rape whistle!"

Executor of Chaos' Opinions in the Event of His Absence

Reaves

• Level 23
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 11, 2008, 02:00:41 AM »
yes i quite agree with that, after all most of us think Ruin influenced Vin's mom to....you get the idea. Also with Zane i was under the impression "God" was talking to him his entire life.
Quote from: VegasDev
RJF: "AHA! You fell victim to one of the classic blunders! The most famous is never get involved in a land war in Cairhien, but only slightly less well-known is this: never go in against a warder when he is only the distraction! Get him Rand! Buzzzzzzz!

JCHancey

• Level 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 11, 2008, 02:25:04 AM »
TLR did create the kandra, otherwise why do they call him father? I believe there is a conversation between Vin and TenSoon about this somewhere in WoA...
Have the SI's also been under control the whole time then? It would seem that they would be the most likely to be seeing as how they have basically gone completely over to ruin. Maybe it has to do with being mistborn

Czanos

• Level 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 11, 2008, 03:43:52 AM »
I think that probably Ruin's influence has more do to with how close the Well is to being full. As it approaches the end of it's millennial cycle, Ruin gains more power to enact upon the world. He begins to be able to whisper in Hemalurgist's minds, and when the Well is almost full, take control of their bodies. However, when the Lord Ruler was alive and in power, I think he had a much larger hold on the Inquisitor's minds than Ruin did, and Ruin would have had to be very subtle in his limited manipulations of them.
I came because I heard stories, tales of a lengendary man.
A man who was known as the Lord of the Mists, a man they named Survivor.
A man called Hope.

JCHancey

• Level 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 11, 2008, 04:26:14 AM »
so the well refills itself?

Miyabi

• Level 45
  • Simple is the concept of love as eternity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 11, 2008, 04:31:54 AM »
so the well refills itself?
Yes, once every 1,000 years.
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

JCHancey

• Level 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 11, 2008, 09:31:01 AM »
whoa... Did I miss that in the books?

Qarlin

• Level 8
  • The idiotic cock-eyed flum-dummery!
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 11, 2008, 05:04:07 PM »
I don't think it's outright said, but it's definitely inferred from events in the book.

JCHancey

• Level 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 11, 2008, 11:05:33 PM »
Guess I'll have to re-read them.. again ;)

Miyabi

• Level 45
  • Simple is the concept of love as eternity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 12, 2008, 01:44:31 AM »
Guess I'll have to re-read them.. again ;)
It's one of those read between the lines things.
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

JCHancey

• Level 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 12, 2008, 01:52:44 AM »
Never been too good at that