Author Topic: Suggestions  (Read 11988 times)

dawncawley

• Level 11
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Suggestions
« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2008, 12:45:45 AM »
Thanks for the suggestion, my rage is usually family based so that would be why Nickleback applies there. I will try your suggestion, and if I don't like it, my husband probably will. He likes lots of stuff I don't.  ::)

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2008, 02:24:37 AM »
hey! that's like my family! My wife likes... COUNTRY! NOOOOOOOOOOOO!

A few more comments, if you want chick bands, The Murmurs. Blender is the album to have. Very tuneful, heavily inspired by folk and, among others, Jefferson Airplane. One of my favorite tunes of theirs is actually their cover of "H. R. Puffnstuff" on the Saturday Morning Cartoons Greatest Hits compilation (another great album, The Ramones cover the theme to Spider-Man -- the original cartoon theme -- Matthew Sweet does "Scooby Doo," Juliana Hatfield does Josie and the Pussycats, and a lot of others, it's a fine disc). Two girls, two guitars. And well, yeah, they're lesbians, and it comes out occassionally, as well as some language ("You Suck" and "Sucker Upper" have some predictably vulgar rhymes). But not all the songs, and all of them are catchy. I recommend  Blender specifically because it has not so much of the profanity or lesbian tones.

I will endorse Fell's opinions, not because I've heard them all, but I have heard some, mostly on his recomendation. Fell and I do quite a bit of trading obscure songs and recommendations, and I, for one, am rarely dissatisfied with the effort put in.

In specific, his suggestion of RZ's "Living Dead Girl" reminds me of an mp3 I have of a duet with Van Morrison and Frank Zappa singing "Dead Girls of London" that I always am pleased to hear come up. Which further reminds me that there are very few people that the Irish Blues/fold/rock/funk/new age singer hasn't done a duet with. In one Bob Dylan cover I have he sang with U2, Bruce Springsteen, Chrissy Hynde, Sting and a half dozen others.  MOrrison's early stuff is quite worth listening to. And not just the one you all know, "Brown Eyed Girl" -- which is the only one most know. His later stuff is much more new agey and less interesting, imo.

dawncawley

• Level 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 26, 2008, 08:49:42 AM »
See, I knew we weren't too far apart SE. I love Van Morrison as well :) And no, not just Brown eyed Girl, that isn't even on the album that is on my iPod. Moondance, and Into the Mystic are two of my favorites off of my iPod.

A couple more recommendations from me....

Led Zepplin: Always my dad's favorite band they hold a special place in my heart because of the fantasy of their music, and the reminder of my dad. They relax me :)

David Bowie: Kind of goes without saying. He is a master performer, and very much a master with the music. My husband mentioned that he didn't realize how complex Space Odyssey was until he listened to it with one channel on the stereo malfunctioning. Evidently, it isn't quite the same.

And Queen: I know, we all know Bohemian Rhapsody, but I like almost everything they have done. I love the way the music complements Freddy Mercury's voice, and I love the voice. Their songwriting is also very good, in my opinion, and very listenable, but I don't think that is a real word.... ;)

I think that is it for now :)

Faster Master St. Pastor

• Level 20
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 26, 2008, 11:55:32 PM »
Honestly the thing I like the most about these suggestions is that I know a quarter of them at best.  Come from being a generation behind you guys, but it also means that I get to draw on a wealth of your information instead of just mucking around by myself. 

To correct Fell though, I said that I don't listen to most rap, since I've never found good stuff on my own.  I'm looking into what you suggested right now actually.
"elantris or evisceration"-Entropy.

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #19 on: April 27, 2008, 04:59:18 PM »
old rock bands that don't get listened to enough: Boston. Only their first three albums, though (Boston, Don't Look Back, and Third Stage) just good, happy rock with some fast guitar. Boston was apparently unhappy with Don't Look Back, but, well,... everything after Third Stage was incredibly tedious and uninspired.

Just some random thoughts there.

Faster Master St. Pastor

• Level 20
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 28, 2008, 10:48:17 PM »
I'm looking into them now.

So far I've looked into the following and liked them:

The Dresden Dolls, kinda weird, but enjoyable.
Oingo Boingo, I didn't think I actually knew any of their stuff, but I was wrong.
Tears For Fears, I've been meaning, and then forgetting, to find out who did Shout for a while now, and now I finally know.
MIA, what do you know Fell, thanks to you I found rap I like, got anymore?
Love and Rockets was nice, but I didn't find anything that I really liked a lot, so any specific suggestions there?

That's all the ones I've looked into so far, but like I said,  I'm still looking into things so please keep the suggestions coming.
"elantris or evisceration"-Entropy.

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #21 on: April 29, 2008, 12:51:07 PM »
My favorite of Love and Rockets is the Earth Sun Moon album. In particular "No New Tale to Tell" (one of the first songs I learned for guitar, and it was the only song my band, Shriner Bar-B-Q ever actually practiced). If you liked them but didn't love them there's a couple other options to pursue. Peter Murphy, the vocalist, had a prolific solo career. The other band members formed Tones on Tail and then later Bauhaus. Bauhaus is a bit darker than L&R -- in the gothic sense. "Who Killed Mr. Midnight" is hardly a groove song, but it's haunting all the same. On the whole, this whole group of performers (L&R, PM, ToT, and Bauhaus) are more background stuff for me than attentive listening. I just get snapped into it every now and then and that's when I realize that they're actually quite good.

On that same track, I hope I didn't mention him before, Leonard Cohen. He's almost a lounge singer, if he weren't so messed up in the head. You think you've got him pegged as this dysfunctional, misanthropic cynic, but then he'll do the sweetest love song. "Everybody Knows" is the essential starting point. You'll fall in love with his voice (deep like Barry White), but then you'll hear another album where he's singing high tenor and you'll wonder what feats he's capable of. He never sings a capella, that I know of, but he's not one you listen to for the instruments. It's all his voice.

And on a completely different note, the best album I *ever* bought, Bob Dylan: the 30th Anniversary Concert. Bob only sings on maybe half a dozen songs of the 2 disc set, it's more of a tribute concert. George Harrison, Tom Petty, Neil Young, Stevie Wonder, Eddie Vetter, Ronnie Wood, Johnny Cash, Willie Nelson, the Clancy Brothers (yes, the Irish dudes), Eric Clapton and many more singing the songs of Bob Dylan. Pure love.

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #22 on: April 30, 2008, 09:22:14 PM »
If you're willing to try some more rap, FMP, try Stan by Eminem. It's very long if you get the full version, but it's very complex and well worth the effort to listen closely and understand what's going on. My respect for Eminem rose considerably with that song.

Beyond that I'm in  a cover mood today, so here's a list of covers that I think are better than the originals:

Personal Jesus by Marilyn Manson. Creepy as heck, but easily the best version of the song. Listening to this you can really understand why Marilyn Manson became successful--yes he's a freak, but he's a very talented freak.

The Man Who Sold the World by Nirvana. I know it's heresy to suggest that anyone could outdo Bowie, but I absolutely love Nirvana's version of this song. Much more personal and sad than the original.

Our Lips Are Sealed by The Juliet Dagger. Sometimes I think every band in existence has covered this song at some point in their career (originally by the Go Gos, I believe), but indie chick band The Juliet Dagger is full of win. Lots of energy, very happy, it's a fantastic pop song.

Smooth Criminal by Alien Ant Farm. Do I even have to mention this one? Take an okay pop song and have a talented punk band play it twice as fast--it's a winning formula every time. Watch the video for added fun, full of Michael Jackson video references and jokes.

Spookshow Baby by Rammstein. I mentioned this before, but I bet you didn't look it up. Silly, silly people.

Mad World by Gary Jules. Originally by Tears for Fears, this song has become the quintessential emo anthem thanks to Gary Jules slowing it down, cutting out most of the instruments, and not so much singing it as haunting it.

Hurt by Johnny Cash. Somehow this creepy goth song sounds even better when played by a dying country legend. It's awesome.

I'll add more as I think of them, and I'm sure SE has plenty of his own.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2008, 09:25:40 PM by Fellfrosch »
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net

Comfortable Madness

• Level 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 30, 2008, 09:55:23 PM »
If it's covers we are discussing today then I have a few to add....

The first one is Holy Diver by Killswitch Engage. Originally done by the creator of the metal "devil horns" Dio, the redone version is way better because Howard, frontman of Killswitch, has fun with this 80's classic. The video is pretty funny as well.

Another good remake is Land of Confusion by Disturbed. Phil Collins version is pretty good but David Draimen of Disturbed adds a whole lot more anger to the original.

Here's another good one for ya, Boy's in the Hood by Dynamite Hack. Listening to gangster rap lyrics done in a soft non-threatening tone is just hillarious for some reason and catchy at that....

“I will never serve you, Father of Lies. In a thousand lives, I never have. I know that. I’m sure of it. Come. It is time to die.” Rand al'Thor

"Mourn if you must. But mourn on the march to Tarmon Gai'don." Logain Ablar

dawncawley

• Level 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 01, 2008, 04:34:40 AM »
I agree with almost all of those cover recommendations. That is odd....I almost never agree with anyone about that much music all at once :) I especially recommend the Holy Diver by Kill Switch Engaged cover, and the Hurt cover by Johnny Cash. I love NIN, but the pain is much more real to me in the Johnny Cash version. Excellent choices Fell and CM :)

I wouldn't count them as my favorites but, I also like Def Leppard, White Lion, and most other 80's hair bands. I know....awful of me, but I love them. And I am a fan of Depeche Mode....weird I know. And The Cure.

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #25 on: May 01, 2008, 02:08:10 PM »
It hardly needs to be mentioned, but "All Along the Watchtower" by Jimi Hendrix. Never has a song been so much more the cover artist's than it was the composer.

Also, "Hey Bulldog" by Toad the Wet Sprocket. More heretical than suggesting Nirvana did a better job than Bowie, but much more true. Toad gives the song an intensity that the original lacked.

And another heresy: Duran Duran playing "Femme Fatale." Yeah, yeah I know, Velvet Underground and such. But well, see, Duran Duran SINGS, while not one in Velvet Underground sang so much as approximated a semi-rhythmical chant.

and the following fall in the category of "worth listening to but not necessarily better than the original"
"Tangerine" by Big Head Todd and the Monsters. No one will supplant Robert Plant (*giggle*) but it's got a unique feel to it.
"Panic" by Puppini Sisters. They do USO style jazz (like the "Boogie Woogie Bugle Boy") and yet they still covered a song by the Smiths. Oh yes.
Run DMC's "Walk This Way." Just because. Really.
Van Halen's performance of "Pretty Woman." Orbison made it sound like a fantasy daydream. Halen makes it sound like a sleeezy dream that comes true. Perfect.
The Ramones "Surfing Bird" Because the Ramones covering ANYTHING is full of win. Their album Acid Eaters is nothing but hippie music covers done three power-chord-Ramone style.
Rush also has a cover album, Feedback. If Blue Cheer hadn't done it, Rush reminds me once again why I not only resent but LOATHE a certain country cover of "Summertime Blues"
The Foo Fighters do a fascinating cover of Floyd's "Have a Cigar" on the M:I-2 soundtrack.
David Bowie does covers all the time. And if you aren't interested in hearing David Bowie interpret things, I don't know why I'm talking to you.He has a cover album, Pin Ups. He cover the Kinks, the Who, Pink Floyd and more. So lovely.

All this talk of Bowie compells me to share this picture:

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #26 on: May 01, 2008, 06:06:12 PM »
Speaking of Foo Fighter covers, their version of Baker Street (available on the re-released version of The Color and the Shape) roxxors.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

Gemm: Rock & Roll Star; Born to Rock

• Level 57
  • I Am Your Worst Nightmare's Dream
    • View Profile
    • Perfect
« Reply #27 on: May 01, 2008, 06:16:46 PM »
I don't know why, but I've been in this crazy techo phase for the past week. Nothing but Daft Punk really, but I've tried to diverge and nothing worked.

What can TWGers suggest to get me off the Daft Punk road, but stay on that sort of tone and beat?

Also, their "Alive" album is a GREAT live album.
“NOTHING IS TRUE. EVERYTHING IS PERMITTED.”
                William S. Burroughs

“Who needs girls when you’ve got comics?”
                Grant Morrison’s Flex Mentallo

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #28 on: May 01, 2008, 06:26:26 PM »
Go to pandora.com, tell it to make a radio station based on Daft Punk, and then listen to your heart's content.

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #29 on: May 02, 2008, 05:39:58 PM »
Addendum to my previous post about covers, which I am embarrassed to have forgotten: Landslide by Smashing Pumpkins. Probably my favorite cover ever.