Author Topic: BSG Season 4 -Spoilerific!  (Read 9887 times)

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
  • Fell Points: 7
  • Devils Advocate General
    • View Profile
BSG Season 4 -Spoilerific!
« on: April 06, 2008, 01:57:17 AM »
Well the season started off with a huge bang from the cliffhanger of last season. First of all we have 4 crewmembers who are actually Cylons positioned to strike at the heart of the fleet. Col. Tigh, Chief Tyrol, Anders and  Tory Foster. In addition Starbuck isn't dead and isn't a hallucination in Lee Adama's head. The Episode has a pretty awesome battle scene that brings us into the credits, and a much much lower number of surviving human count. now only 39,698.

Everyone thinks Kara Thrace (Starbuck) is a Cylon, when she's clearly just crazy and 2 months late to the party in a brand new sparkly viper. ... Cough red herring cough...  Plus she pulls a gun on Pres. Rosyln (which is Cylony) but there's no way she's the final model. Mostly because its just the first episode back from the long break. Something tells me that this season is going to get very dark as evidenced by Baltar when he accidentally starts a cult and gets some cult leader nookie. Oh and he gets his throat cut, but not enough to die. Also he miracles a sick boy back to life.

Starbuck is the star of this episode, and I have to say she's super whiny right now... "Ohhh I found Earth, why doesn't annnnnnyone believe me?" What I don't get is how she cant realise that it looks super weird when your ship says you've only been gone six hours and you've actually been gone 2 months... um after being blown up with verifiable witnesses and film footage of the event. Not to mention you end up several FTL jumps away from where you got blown up in the first place.

The best subplot going is the 4 cylons, who are all struggling with the knowledge that even though they are toasters... they're also human, or at least associate themselves as such. Keep in mind that they've been Cylons from the beginning and that makes some of their actions really really interesting. Take Anders... He's a former resistance leader who used to blow cylons up... or Tigh, I mean they pried out his freaking eye!  Foster was the one who found loyal humans for the hybrid baby!... Oh yeah and Chief has a kid with Cally... so he's got a hybrid too! Wow. Im really liking the season so far.
Its an automated robot. Based on Science!

• Staff
  • Level 56
  • Fell Points: 8
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
Re: BSG Season 4 -Spoilerific!
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2008, 07:31:29 PM »
Yes, season 4 is starting well. I think they covered almost everything that was in the season previews in the first 10 minutes or so. So there's a whole lot left to see still.

The opening also had the most special effects that we've seen in a while. So I supsect the coming episodes are going to be a lot more lower budget. That's okay since the writers do a great job without the special effects.

I'm waiting for when Starbuck learns that Sam is a Cylon. I wonder if she really is going to put a bullet in his head at that point. Yes, she was king of whiny, but she's always been a little whiny. Her character has never seemed to handle things not going her way.

I can't wait to find out who is the final cylon. I don't think it's Starbuck. I've also ruled out Roselin (cause why would a Cylon get cancer?), Callie, Helo, and the Adamas. But there are so many other possibilities. I haven't decided if it will be more satisfying for it to be a major character (come on Baltar) or a minor character (a resurrected Admiral Kain maybe?). The only let down would be if it were a character we've never met before.

After 3 season the writers are still keeping me enthralled.
The Folly of youth is to think that intelligence is a subsitute for experience. The folly of age is to think that experience is a subsitute for intelligence.

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2008, 08:50:55 PM »
What if it was Doc Cottle? That might mean that Baltars Cylon test wasn't bunk. How awesome might that be? Or even "awesomer" Tom Zarek (Richard Hatch... the original Apollo).

Yeah the last Cylon plotline will keep me guessing for a bit.

Also, I think Starbuck would kill Sam, I mean she just beat the heck out of him cause he wouldnt tell her where the Rosyln was, so I mean yeah... Hey honey Im a Cylon... "Bang"

Also what if the four werent really Cylons, but were just somehow manipulated by them. Heck maybe they experimented on Tigh and the others during their occupation on New Caprica... so that'd be a huge bait and switch.

Or maybe there are only Cylons, replaying the final colonial wars over and over again. I mean this did all happen before. Or at least thats a huge Galactica theme.

Bookstore Guy

• Level 21
  • Fell Points: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2008, 09:48:20 PM »
Actually, Zarek is who I think it is as well.  I've ruled out Starbuck, because it's too obvious...and because even the cylons think she is bad mojo (from the Razor miniseries).  The Adamas and the president are out, cause they would have activated them long ago I think.  Baltar wants to be one so bad, that it cant be him.  So I'm left with Zarek, or someone that has already died, or someone new.   They left quite a bit open that intrigues me.  Lee's new position, Tygh hearing the music still, etc.  But what I really want to know is who is "flipping the switch" on these cylons?  The original 7 dont know who the "Five" are (except Xena, but she's..uhh..afk...for lack of a better term).  Is the last cylon flipping the switches?  Or is this mysterious "Cylon God" the one doing it?  I think we are gonna find out that Starbuck is a deity.  Craziness.  That was a great first episode.  Baltar's story was great.
Check out our blog, Elitist Book Reviews at:
http://elitistbookreviews.blogspot.com/

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2008, 12:37:24 AM »
keep in mind that the nebula seems to be key. The closer everyone gets to it the crazier everyone but Starbuck becomes (she only gets crazier the farther from the nebula she gets). Anyone notice that both Starbuck and Rosyln seem to be getting jump headaches the further they get from the nebula too?

So maybe the four didn't have their switch flipped by anyone. Maybe they were programmed to activate when they got to a particular place or situation. In this case, the route to earth.

• Staff
  • Level 56
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2008, 02:28:18 AM »
Zarek would be a good choice to be the last Cylon, but I'm kind of hoping it isn't him. I actually think he's too obvious of a choice. He's sown enough rebellion and anarchy among the fleet that it just seems like he'd be an obvious choice to be a Cylon.

I hadn't noticed the jump headache connection between Roslyn and Starbuck. That's rather cool though.
The Folly of youth is to think that intelligence is a subsitute for experience. The folly of age is to think that experience is a subsitute for intelligence.

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2008, 10:20:24 AM »
and thats the problem beyond introducing a new character they dont have a lot of choices. Apparently in the comic there were psylon copies of Zarek though, according to Io9. So, maybe they already dropped the ball.

• Staff
  • Level 56
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2008, 02:55:05 PM »
I'm kind of expecting that finding out who is the final cylon model will be more of a revelation and less of a surprise (if that makes sense). I just hoping it's a satisfying revelation.

Also, the seems to be a lot more male cylon models than female cylon models. Why is this?

Bookstore Guy

• Level 21
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2008, 03:56:48 PM »
i think the reason for all the female cylons is obvious (at least in the beginning).  they are hawt.  'nuff said.  would anyone really care about the cylon 'models' (heh) if they were terribly ugly? 

actually, of the 11 models introduced, only 4 are female.  but they get a lot more screen time (see hawtness factor above). 

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2008, 01:08:08 AM »
Also, the seems to be a lot more male cylon models than female cylon models. Why is this?

Its a fair question, and possibly a clue to the origins of the Cylons themself. Now that I think about it the answer may lie in the Caprica mini-series coming up about the creation of the Cylons...
Originally, according to E! Online's Kristin Dos Santos, Ron Moore didn't intend to show the forebears of any Galactica characters in this spin-off. But he's apparently changed his mind — which could have something to do with the Sci Fi Channel's decision to greenlight the backdoor pilot — and now we'll see Bill Adama's father, Joseph. As you may have heard, Caprica is the story of attorney Joseph Adama and his relationship with the Graystone family.

Daniel Graystone is a computer genius, married to the unfaithful Amanda, a gifted surgeon. Their daughter, Zoe, dies in a suicide bombing by religious fanatics, including Zoe's boyfriend. Also killed in that bombing: Joseph Adama's wife and daughter.

Before Zoe dies, she installs the "rudimentary elements" of her personality and DNA into a computer, creating a digital twin called Zoe-A. After Zoe dies, her father uses that materials, along with soem stolen technology to create a robot version called Zoe-R. This is the "Cylonic Eve."

So maybe the first model of human cylon is Zoe and is a female model we've seen before. 

Bookstore Guy

• Level 21
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2008, 05:00:21 PM »
I totally misread 42's post.  I thought you said there seemed to be more female Cylons than male.  Teaches me not to wear my glasses.

That info about the prequel series sounds interesting.  I also read that it's gonna be more of a "soap-opera" drama.  no epic space battles...sigh.

Now, if you read into that info, the adamas apparently had a hand in the creation of the cylons.  interesting prospect.  My theory:  Starbuck is Zoe.  Loeban (spelling?) was the boyfriend.  Giddyup.  Explains the odd relationship those 2 have, makes flashbacks/pre-memories work.  Explains why starbuck is back from the grave - they didn't have genetic material to make a real cylon of her till they took the...whatever from her on caprica.  Yes, i realize there hole galore in my theory. 

the wilder side:  Joesph Adama is the last Cylon.  And all the adama's are hybrids.  Weeeeee!

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2008, 10:33:30 PM »
the one thing we do know actually is that Starbuck is unequivocally not a Cylon. Everyone involved with BSG who's been interviewed has come out and point blank said... no its someone else.

Now they could lie, but that'd be a total gyp. Better to just say "Im not going to spoil it."

I do however think that the last Cylon will be a woman, and a woman of gravitas and authority.

• Staff
  • Level 56
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2008, 03:18:52 AM »
Not Roselin!!!

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2008, 10:00:31 PM »
Say goodbye to Cally. According to TV Guide
Cally learns the truth about Tyrol.
in next weeks episode.

I liked her too.

Of course she could kill him.

So, theres that.

But someone will die beacuse TV guide has this to say about the next week.

Baltar's beliefs create a controversy for those faithful to the 12 Lords of Kobol, and a crew member's demise casts a pall on the Colonials.

« Last Edit: April 11, 2008, 10:02:13 PM by Mad Dr Jeffe »

• Staff
  • Level 56
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2008, 06:52:35 AM »
Aargh! Cylon society is being torn apart.

I'm also worried that Cally will die in the next episode. No more corn muffin goodness for Galactica.

Also, somehow Baltar has left Caprica Six's head and entered his own head which is far more disturbing than anything else they could of done.