Author Topic: The Mists  (Read 16798 times)

Qarlin

• Level 8
  • Fell Points: 0
  • The idiotic cock-eyed flum-dummery!
    • View Profile
Re: The Mists
« Reply #75 on: May 25, 2008, 05:59:51 AM »
So here's a thought on a thread that hasn't been spoken on in a while...

What if there are two kinds of mist? Only we can't tell the difference, but one pushes away from hemalurgists, and the other from allomancers. One kills, the other doesn't. The Mist spirit did deny being responsible for the killings. Yes, the idea came to me after reading Prime, but the thought had been bugging me about the mist killing only some people. Though they were all Skaa, I think.

Vintage

• Level 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: June 01, 2008, 11:32:46 AM »
As pointed before somewhere over the rainbow, the Mist Spirit could be lying. We cannot confirm if it is responsible. I believe, yes, that they were all skaa but we should be investigating about those that survived to start to grasp some truth.

In the meantime, I wanted to report that I made a mistake, I thought that we could see the mist swirls because it was mixing with ash. I was wrong. The mist is white. It is actually a very thick fog, so thick you get wet from it. It evaporates (now, see...) when the sun comes out. I was thinking why is it still staying a bit in the day ? Then I remember, it stated to kill in winter. Maybe it's a colder winter than usual. Why wouldn't they have weather problems if we do ?

Moreover, the mist existed before the Lord Ruler's days.  ;D I am so glad I find that one !

Quote from: Mistborn 1, chap. 7, p.122
The mists are your friend, Vin. They hide you, they protect you... and they give you power. Ministry doctrine - something rarely shared with skaa - claims that the Mistborn are descendants of the only men who remained true to the Lord Ruler during the days before his Ascension. Other legends whisper that we are something beyond even the Lord Ruler's power, something that was born on that day when the mists first came upon the land.

;D When reading Mistborn 1, we read this passage quite fast... or *looks to see if Brandon is around and then whispers* we're bored by the allomancy lesson and our mind sleep. In all cases, we now know that Kelsier had information that most people didn't have, even Sazed did not know about some of the legends that Kelsier knew. Therefore I would say with quite a bit of assurance that the Mist existed before TLR, that allomancy existed also, like feruchemy and I would not be surprised that hemalurgy was around as well. That would certainly explain "the piercing of the hero" Alendi had.

Chaos

• Administrator
  • Level 36
  • Fell Points: 3
  • The Original Hero of Ages
    • View Profile
    • Eric Lake
« Reply #77 on: June 01, 2008, 03:12:05 PM »
That quote further substantiates my theory that the Mists are the reason that Allomancy works, in some way, because if Allomancy "came out with the mists", that would mean they have a symbiotic relationship.
www.17thshard.com - The Official Brandon Sanderson Fansite.

Oh SNAP, I'm an Allomancer.

Vintage

• Level 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: June 01, 2008, 08:30:01 PM »
I agree - let's not forget that Brandon's annotation indicates that the mists are fundamental to the three magic systems. We're back in theory Land.  :D

Reaves

• Level 23
  • Fell Points: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: June 01, 2008, 08:35:24 PM »
I just read MB2 and i was thinking...what if the mist is not repelled when someone uses hemalurgy, but instead fed off of? The effect would look nearly the same, i think. This would not explain why it is attracted to Allomancy, and is probably wrong, but hey.

Also do we know of anyone who uses only hemalurgy? I'll have to reread the sections where Vin is sensing the mist spirit...
Quote from: VegasDev
RJF: "AHA! You fell victim to one of the classic blunders! The most famous is never get involved in a land war in Cairhien, but only slightly less well-known is this: never go in against a warder when he is only the distraction! Get him Rand! Buzzzzzzz!

Vintage

• Level 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: June 01, 2008, 08:41:20 PM »
The thing is, Reaves, I think that Brandon himself used the word repels. Can you get some quote from the book that would seem to mean what you are saying ? Otherwise we all get crazy here. If you need proof of this, read the rest of this very thread lol

Andrew the Great

• Level 19
  • If that never happened again, it would be too soon
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: June 01, 2008, 08:53:01 PM »
I think vintage is right, Brandon does use the word repels. Also, reaves, it's possible that inquisitors only use hemalurgy, though they may use allomancy as well. It's been speculated that Alendi was a hemalurgist, and he wasn't allomancer or feruchemist.
Sign on wall: "We're doing everything we can to get you to the math lab and get you help."
Random girl: "That explains so much about the way my professors have been teaching..."

"Look! I can play Mary had a little lamb on my rape whistle!"

Executor of Chaos' Opinions in the Event of His Absence

Reaves

• Level 23
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: June 02, 2008, 12:00:41 AM »
In the MB1 synopsis at the end of Well of Ascension, it says,
"While she was fighting him, she drew upon the mists somehow, burning them in place of metals."
RJF: "AHA! You fell victim to one of the classic blunders! The most famous is never get involved in a land war in Cairhien, but only slightly less well-known is this: never go in against a warder when he is only the distraction! Get him Rand! Buzzzzzzz!

Andrew the Great

• Level 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: June 02, 2008, 01:27:18 AM »
However, we have no confirmation that this is related to hemalurgy. I am inclined to believe it has more to do with allomancy than hemalurgy.
Sign on wall: "We're doing everything we can to get you to the math lab and get you help."
Random girl: "That explains so much about the way my professors have been teaching..."

Reaves

• Level 23
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: June 02, 2008, 02:27:27 PM »
What do you mean? We have never heard of this ability from any other pure Allomancer. However, we do see the same effect from the Inquisitors and Zane. Also Elend notices the same thing from Vin as they are walking toward the Well.

Zane stood on the balcony, his figure a black silhouette in the mists. He stepped forward, the mist following around him, as it did around anyone burning metals. And yet... it also seemed to be pushing away from him slightly.

I believe this is explained by the fact that Zane is both Allomancer and Hemalurgist. The mist follows him because he is an allomancer, and yet appears to be pushed away because he is unconsciously burning it. He also has more power than a vanilla allomancer, Vin notices his extreme control over Steelpushes. He in fact hovers in the air and can lower and raise himself slowly. Every other person we have ever seen who uses more than one magic system (eg Lord Ruler, Inquisitors, Vin) has more power/skill than others.

Chaos

• Administrator
  • Level 36
  • Fell Points: 3
  • The Original Hero of Ages
    • View Profile
    • Eric Lake
« Reply #85 on: June 02, 2008, 04:04:05 PM »
I think this talk is reserved for the Hemalurgy thread, mostly because that's where I'd like everything Hemalurgy-related to be (it's called "Comprehensive" for a reason :P). Not to say that Hemalurgy doesn't have to do with the mists... just we've been discussing this mist-hemalurgy thing for quite a while in that topic--to no avail--and it would be easier to just simplify it into the Comprehensive Hemalurgy topic.
www.17thshard.com - The Official Brandon Sanderson Fansite.

Oh SNAP, I'm an Allomancer.

Andrew the Great

• Level 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: June 02, 2008, 07:24:13 PM »
Alright, Chaos, fine, I'll take my reply over to the hemalurgy thread. Please follow, everyone, I'm enjoying this particular discussion. I'll even give you a link to make your life really easy.

The Comprehensive Hemalurgy Thread Page 13
« Last Edit: June 02, 2008, 08:03:17 PM by Andrew the Great »

Comatose

• Level 19
  • A Shard of Adonalsium
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: June 03, 2008, 02:01:58 AM »
On the note of mists being entwined with all three magic systems, that really strucj me, we know it is attarcted to allomancy, and that Vin, at least, can use it to strengthen her allomancy, and that hemalurgy repels it, especially when it is being used: (IE, the mists only start pulling away from Vin when she is really listening to the well).  Perhaps, it's more to do with Ruin and Preservation, maybe the mists ull away from things of ruin, and are attracted to preservation, and the reason Vin repels them, is because she is becoming more under ruin's nfluence at this point.  We know know more than this though, how else do the mists interact with the magic systems, and how do they influence feruchemy.  I have a hard time believeing the Feruchemy is JUST neutral and has nothing to do with the mists now, there has to be something more!
And about people who only use hemalurgy (sorry) we know that the inquisitors use SOME allomancy, because most of them are seekers to start out with, are they not.  Marsh's recruitment seems to suppor this.  If they could use anyone, why would they go to someone as  new as marsh, even if he is hard working?
"Look, I'm just trying to change the world, okay?  I don't have time for a grudge match with every poser in a parka!"
- Dr. Horrible

"There's always another secret..."
- Kelsier

Andrew the Great

• Level 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: June 03, 2008, 03:54:37 AM »
I don't know coma. I think if that were the case, the mists would be attracted and/or repelled at all times, rather than just when Vin was burning metals. I think it's the allomancy/hemalurgy itself that attracts/repels the mist.

And Yes, the inquisitors are all seekers. MB1 Chapter 7, page 141 in Paperback, I don't know about the hardcover. It's when Vin is first learning all the metals with Kelsier.

Vin paled. "Inquisitors can use allomancy?"

Kelsier nodded. "They're all Seekers - I'm not sure if that's because Seekers are chosen to become Inquisitors, or if the process of becoming an Inquisitor grants the power."

Reaves

• Level 23
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: June 03, 2008, 07:13:03 PM »
however, that doesn't mean seeking is their only ability. I believe them to be able to use all Allomantic abilities.